HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Along Erie, next to the Dana Hotel

163' tall, 178 rooms, ground floor restaurant

All of these buildings will be demolished:
https://goo.gl/maps/fSK2QG4UVKn
I get that it's Chicago and anything old or that has character must go but losing the historical aspects of the city would be easier to stomach if the replacements weren't just a bunch of undersized assembly line designs.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 8:45 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
I agree that trying to preserve rowhomes in River North is a fool's errand. But my point still stands that I would rather interact at street level with prewar buildings than the blank walls of many parking podiums in that area.
I own the top floor of a four-story brick building in River North and would love to exchange a covenant not to sell out to a developer in exchange for a tax break. Nearly my entire block is circa 1890 and it would be a good block to preserve.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 8:52 PM

Is the argument to keep these 3 buildings in River North because they are in River North and there are fewer of them, or because these particular style of buildings should be preserved in general? From what I see in the google map link, these don't appear to look any different from the thousands of other buildings throughout the city like them. The replacement is not stellar by any means, but when property value goes up, won't that continue to force greater utilization of the land?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 10:13 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Is the argument to keep these 3 buildings in River North because they are in River North and there are fewer of them, or because these particular style of buildings should be preserved in general? From what I see in the google map link, these don't appear to look any different from the thousands of other buildings throughout the city like them. The replacement is not stellar by any means, but when property value goes up, won't that continue to force greater utilization of the land?
It's because they are in River North.

The demand to demo and replace with skyscrapers only exists in a small footprint within the city. For the rest of the city, at least where million dollar mansions aren't being built, I'm not worried.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Even with a podium, your typical River North high rise creates far more activity for the area than a 3-4 story historic brick building.
High rises add density - so ultimately more people who presumably use the streets - but many streets with highrises are relatively inactive. Attractive streets loaded with retail draw people, but rows of highrises can sometimes feel very quiet. I wish rather than simply adding people, more thought was given to street design and retail placement. With regard to RN, I wonder how much is accomplished by adding density there vs. trying to push development out to Cabrina, IMD, etc.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Midtown Manhattan still manages to have a fair number of 19th century rowhouses to add interest at street level. The damn parking podiums in Chicago are destroying the city.
They are in Midtown East and Hell's Kitchen - not Midtown proper that most forumers on here are going to be thinking of. "Midtown Proper" is basically a bunch of high rises. Midtown is a very broad term in reality. It's like saying "downtown Chicago" and then including the area north of Division Street. Yeah it counts to some but it's not what most people think of as "downtown" just like most people not from NYC don't think of 52nd & 2nd as "Midtown" even though it technically is.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 3:12 AM

1326 S. Michigan parking lot closed and booth removed. Construction imminent

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 5:35 AM

I've said this before, but what makes RN and Gold Coast interesting are the high and lows of varying density. One block can be modern highrises and the next a quiet street with brownstones or some midrise warehouses. It's a very rich urban experience. A real shame these pockets of 19th century buildings are getting knocked down for forgettable glass boxes. But this city's poor stewardship to preserving its oldest residential architecture will in a matter of years pretty much eliminate nearly all of these remaining types of buildings downtown

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 12:14 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon07 View Post

Nice......that's what I like to hear! Assuming they probably just closed on their construction loan.....

PS: Could a mod please move this news to the 1326 thread?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon07 View Post
This is good news to start the week!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 1:53 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
They are in Midtown East and Hell's Kitchen - not Midtown proper that most forumers on here are going to be thinking of. "Midtown Proper" is basically a bunch of high rises. Midtown is a very broad term in reality. It's like saying "downtown Chicago" and then including the area north of Division Street. Yeah it counts to some but it's not what most people think of as "downtown" just like most people not from NYC don't think of 52nd & 2nd as "Midtown" even though it technically is.
Off topic, but I don't agree with this. Midtown is pretty much agreed upon on the North (59th) East (River) and West (Hudson), I can see some debate about it's south boundary, but that is it.

Murray Hill is Midtown, Hell's Kitchen is Midtown. A large portion of the East Side is brown stones/row homes, and low/mid rise buildings. Midtown is much more than Times Square/Rock Center/Herald Square, and I assume even Chicago Forumers are aware of that.

I also don't see many similarities between River North and Midtown. I've given up hope on any low rise pre war building in River North, they all have a date with the wrecking ball. I just wish we could get something good in their place, though I've also given up all hope of getting anything other than a lame glass box or an ugly precast tower. Oh Well...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes I lived in NY for almost a decade, and I worked in Midtown. Lots of rowhouses still exists between Lexington and 7th, not just on the fringes. Look at practically the entire south side of 56th between 5th and 6th, for example.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 10:09 PM

Per Crains...
Residential developer Roszak tries office space in the Loop

One of his Chicago firms, Moceri & Roszak, plans a 20-story, 205,000-square-foot office project at 145 S. Wells St., with large windows and rooftop amenities modeled on the loft-style properties of his residential work.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...o-loop-offices

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Off topic, but I don't agree with this. Midtown is pretty much agreed upon on the North (59th) East (River) and West (Hudson), I can see some debate about it's south boundary, but that is it.

Murray Hill is Midtown, Hell's Kitchen is Midtown. A large portion of the East Side is brown stones/row homes, and low/mid rise buildings. Midtown is much more than Times Square/Rock Center/Herald Square, and I assume even Chicago Forumers are aware of that.
We are saying the same things except for your part "I assume even Chicago Forumers are aware of that." You just misinterpreted the rest of what I said completely if you are thinking I wasn't saying that place like Murray Hill isn't midtown. My point was that most people who aren't familiar with NYC and the labeling only think midtown is the big skyscraper part instead of all the areas around it such as Kips Bay, Chelsea, Hell's Kitchen, etc.

I'd guess that some Chicago forumers are aware of the fact that Midtown is a lot more the skyscrapers, but I'd also wager that some would not be aware of that.

Quote:
I also don't see many similarities between River North and Midtown. I've given up hope on any low rise pre war building in River North, they all have a date with the wrecking ball. I just wish we could get something good in their place, though I've also given up all hope of getting anything other than a lame glass box or an ugly precast tower. Oh Well...

Hopefully this isn't a response to mine since I never said anything of the sort. River North isn't that similar to anywhere in Midtown except a few buildings here and there but nothing on a big scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Yes I lived in NY for almost a decade, and I worked in Midtown. Lots of rowhouses still exists between Lexington and 7th, not just on the fringes. Look at practically the entire south side of 56th between 5th and 6th, for example.
Yes, agreed - there are many lower rise buildings mixed in here and there. The ones on the streets IMO are safer than the ones on the avenues. I've definitely seen some in my now 2.5+ years of working in NYC bite the dust for larger developments. They have better preservation of these low rise gems than in similar areas of Chicago easily.

The low rise architecture is actually my favorite part about NYC, not the high rises. One of my favorites:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7459...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:52 AM

If I had a dollar for every time the urban politician brought up this crazy comparison between Midtown and River North, I'd have at least ten dollars!!! Thank god we are finally destroying this asinine comparison. Really. What do the two have in common? Heavy rail? No. Commuter rail? No. Grid dimensions? No. Office space? No. Proximity to historic CBD? No? Number of tall buildings? No. River? No. Need I go on? River North is not and will never be Chicago's "Midtown." No other Chicago neighborhood will be Chicago's "Midtown." And I don't see why we have to keep discussing Chicago's "Midtown." I'd rather discuss when New York is finally going to get its own "River North." They can only wish.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyked3 View Post
If I had a dollar for every time the urban politician brought up this crazy comparison between Midtown and River North, I'd have at least ten dollars!!! Thank god we are finally destroying this asinine comparison. Really. What do the two have in common? Heavy rail? No. Commuter rail? No. Grid dimensions? No. Office space? No. Proximity to historic CBD? No? Number of tall buildings? No. River? No. Need I go on? River North is not and will never be Chicago's "Midtown." No other Chicago neighborhood will be Chicago's "Midtown." And I don't see why we have to keep discussing Chicago's "Midtown." I'd rather discuss when New York is finally going to get its own "River North." They can only wish.
Yes - well actually there are parts of the Loop - a few intersections that are like something you'd find in Midtown but not really anything like that in RN.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 5:39 AM
THAT Guy

GSA State Street properties - for sale again

Looks like the City is now involved and seeking RFP submissions by May 1st with a developer selected on May 24th. Both the Century and Consumers buildings must be preserved, along with the storefront for 214 S State (Roberto's), although the two low-rises can otherwise be redeveloped.

Will be great to see this block come back to life again.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I've said this before, but what makes RN and Gold Coast interesting are the high and lows of varying density. One block can be modern highrises and the next a quiet street with brownstones or some midrise warehouses. It's a very rich urban experience. A real shame these pockets of 19th century buildings are getting knocked down for forgettable glass boxes. But this city's poor stewardship to preserving its oldest residential architecture will in a matter of years pretty much eliminate nearly all of these remaining types of buildings downtown
Obviously the historic building stock in River North isn't as geographically unified as it was in Fulton Market, but the latter's landmarking as a historic district can show that we can easily preserve the historic fabric of the city without impeding new development.

In fact, that's one of Chicago's great advantages. We have plenty of room for both preservation and new development. For most cities it's usually one or the other (nothing old to preserve, no land to build new without demoing).

River North's built environment east of Dearborn is becoming a lost cause. And it's a shame, because it's one of our most visible and important areas of downtown.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:58 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyked3 View Post

Yeah - count me among the perplexed whenever he makes that comparison.....I've never understood it.....

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:00 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Looks like the City is now involved and seeking RFP submissions by May 1st with a developer selected on May 24th. Both the Century and Consumers buildings must be preserved, along with the storefront for 214 S State (Roberto's), although the two low-rises can otherwise be redeveloped.

Will be great to see this block come back to life again.

Very interesting. The two low-rises that can be redeveloped - are they adjacent (having difficulty visualizing the block at the moment)? Could anything of scale be built? Regardless, it will be awesome to get the adaptive reuse/restoration/reactivation on this block - really looking forward to that!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations