HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
They have until June 2019 to start them under the existing DA unless they ask for an extension. Although its weird that the Centre Plan is proposing to match the heights as-of-right, which is higher than all surrounding lands. Meaning there is an incentive to discharge the DA, sell the land, and build as-of-right with 100% market.

This project is so screwy though. Housing Nova Scotia put up the money to puchase the land, in exchange for affordable units to be completed by sometime in 2011. The agreement was never updated to reflect a new timeline and the "affordable" rents contained in the agreement are higher than market rents in Ocean Towers.

It is difficult to know what is really going to happen on these sites....

Is ole Ross a NDPer? That would explain the gift to him from Housing NS back in those halcyon days of NDP govt here. "Screwy" is virtually guaranteed when Housing NS gets involved in things. I'm sure he is enjoying the appreciation in value on that parcel and will likely cash it in when the time is right.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 12:21 PM

AllNS reports that permits have been issued for the shorter of these two and that construction will start soon.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
AllNS reports that permits have been issued for the shorter of these two and that construction will start soon.
It's about time!!!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 1:27 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Isn't there also going to be a second phase for Velo? Would two of these developments happen concurrently?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 11:03 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The developer is requesting a one-year extension to the construction deadline: https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...street-halifax

Rendering:

Source

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 2:12 AM

Great design. I absolutely love that they have included space, within the property line, for streetside dining tables that are semi-sheltered by the second floor.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Great design. I absolutely love that they have included space, within the property line, for streetside dining tables that are semi-sheltered by the second floor.
Oh joy,oh rapture... how I long to sit sipping a latte pretending I am in Europe with rain swirling around in the wind tunnel and breathing the fumes from Metro Transit.
Not exactly the Champs - Elysees

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Oh joy,oh rapture... how I long to sit sipping a latte pretending I am in Europe with rain swirling around in the wind tunnel and breathing the fumes from Metro Transit.
A number of businesses along Gottingen already have sidewalk seating areas. They are very pleasant.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
A number of businesses along Gottingen already have sidewalk seating areas. They are very pleasant.
I choose those sidewalk seating areas on Gottingen if the weather is nice and they're available. I agree, generally pleasant. You don't have to be in Paris to sit outside and enjoy it.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:55 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I've been to a bunch of Paris cafes and while they are lovely and Paris is amazing, I don't subscribe view that Halifax is doomed to some lower plane of existence and should never aspire to have anything better. Paris has buses and trucks and rainy days too.

Gottingen has a lot of potential but will be held back as long as there are big gaps. If these 2 buildings are built the gaps will be mostly gone. Gottingen also suffered from population density too low to support many commercial storefronts but that is changing fast.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I've been to a bunch of Paris cafes and while they are lovely and Paris is amazing, I don't subscribe view that Halifax is doomed to some lower plane of existence and should never aspire to have anything better. Paris has buses and trucks and rainy days too.

Gottingen has a lot of potential but will be held back as long as there are big gaps. If these 2 buildings are built the gaps will be mostly gone. Gottingen also suffered from population density too low to support many commercial storefronts but that is changing fast.
Agreed 100%. Gottingen has what, 4-5? mid-size apartment buildings going up within a 5-10 minute walk. I find it nicer than Spring Garden most summer days to walk down and it's only getting better.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 5:18 PM

is this still the Housing Trust?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 5:20 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxRetales View Post
is this still the Housing Trust?
The proponent is "Mitch Dickey Urban Planning, on behalf of Housing Trust Nova Scotia".

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The proponent is "Mitch Dickey Urban Planning, on behalf of Housing Trust Nova Scotia".
Mr. Dickey has left the HRM Planning empire and is now toiling in the private sector? Seems logical as he was one of the few sensible ones there. I guess he had to leave.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 9:45 PM

Quote:
You hate exhaust and you love the Champs Elysees?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
You hate exhaust and you love the Champs Elysees?
Yes and Yes
The trees are over 60 feet from the doors of restaurants and you can sit at Five Guys at least 30 feet from passing vehicles.

Last edited by Colin May; Apr 26, 2020 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 5:08 PM

It's a good thing Paris isn't famous for pollution, or for having tiny streets choked with cars. It's just these damn Halifax developers sandwiching tables so close to the road like never before.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
It's a good thing Paris isn't famous for pollution, or for having tiny streets choked with cars. It's just these damn Halifax developers sandwiching tables so close to the road like never before.
Dense city, what do you expect. As I posted previously - DENSITY KILLS. A dense city is the static version of a large cruise ship.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Dense city, what do you expect. As I posted previously - DENSITY KILLS. A dense city is the static version of a large cruise ship.
But I thought the Planning dogma was that sprawl killed and was the source for all problems? That we all needed to relocate from our decadent private homes to high-rise concrete apartment blocks?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Please explain why highly urbanized Asian countries like South Korea and Taiwan have had such success in containing this outbreak then. Or why the U.S. largest outbreaks are now shaping up in the suburban south.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth