HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 6:44 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
A mag-lev corridor wouldn't give anything back to freight rail operators and it would require all financial investments to be made up front.
All financial investments made up front?
By whom?
Estimated cost?
Debt/equity mix? Sources? Cost of capital?
Repayment source?
Risk?

Get real...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:02 PM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
All financial investments made up front?
By whom?
Estimated cost?
Debt/equity mix? Sources? Cost of capital?
Repayment source?
Risk?

Get real...
Is that an argument against, my argument against mag-lev? I don't have any of that information, as it wasn't anything I was considering as an option.

What I proposed was a collaboration between CDOT and freight rail companies to construct a new corridor and upgrade existing corridors for conventional, diesel powered, non-HSR passenger and freight rail. It would be a PPP, that would benefit freight rail as well as achieve CDOT's goals for passenger rail. I proposed engineering the Greenfield line east of Denver, to be upgradable in the future, to electrified and/or HSR, without major reconstruction, if/when it is ever deemed necessary.

CDOT is soliciting for ideas now and this is one way I can envision achieving their goals for a Front Range passenger rail service. If you have your own ideas, feel free to share them as well. Perhaps we could merge all our ideas into the one best concept possible.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
What I proposed was a collaboration between CDOT and freight rail companies to construct a new corridor and upgrade existing corridors for conventional, diesel powered, non-HSR passenger and freight rail. It would be a PPP, that would benefit freight rail as well as achieve CDOT's goals for passenger rail. I proposed engineering the Greenfield line east of Denver, to be upgradable in the future, to electrified and/or HSR, without major reconstruction, if/when it is ever deemed necessary.
Makes a lot of sense to me.

United lays out plans for continued growth at Denver airport
Jun 7, 2019 By Monica Vendituoli – Reporter, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
United Airlines reached a major milestone Friday when it officially began offering 500 daily departures three times per week out of Denver International Airport. The announcement comes after a record year of DIA growth for United, which is the largest passenger carrier serving the airport.

The airline has also grown its employee base in Denver. Since Jan. 1, 2018, United has hired 970 employees and currently employees 7,000 people in the city.
Holy Cow; I didn't realize United has so many employees locally.

What about Southwest? Will they become a laggard?
Quote:
At Southwest Airlines’ annual shareholder meeting, which was held in Denver last month, CEO Gary Kelly said that the airline would like all 16 gates being added to concourse C. Southwest Airlines is the second-largest passenger carrier serving DIA.
Frontier has been adding a lot of flights also.

Looks like most of DIA's gate expansion could be spoken for before the paint is dry.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 10:22 AM

Who is this masked man?

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/06/...ted-bus-lanes/
Quote:
This latest bus lane experiment stands in contrast to the city’s earlier experiments with bus only lanes, says the site’s Dan Malouff:

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:42 PM

FasTracks Update

RTD Explores Money Options To Catch Up On Unfinished FasTracks Trains
JUN 19, 2019 By NATHANIEL MINOR - CPR
Quote:
Unless more funding is generated, Regional Transportation District staff now say that a passenger rail line to Boulder and Longmont won’t open in full capacity until after 2050, though under one scenario limited service may begin in 2042.
Nice recap of where FasTracks currently sits.

bunt, wong, or anyone smarter than myself, I have a couple of questions?

Is there even a sunset provision in FasTracks and if so how does it work. My understanding is that the operating expenses come from the generic six-tenths percent that RTD collects. Deductive reasoning has me thinking that the FasTracks specific tax can/would be used for maintenance and replacement over time. This would actually be comforting to know that needed replacement costs are already built in via the existing FasTracks tax. Obviously the majority of this tax is currently used to pay off the bond funding used during construction.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:15 PM

Who is this mystery TOD developer?

Eh, it only took a couple of years and in the big scheme of things that's not bad.

12.5 Acres of Land Along TOD Development Sells for $6.5M
June 18, 2019 by MILE HIGH CRE
Quote:
A 12.5 acre site on Tollgate Creek in Aurora, has sold for $6.5 million. The site is strategically located adjacent to the 13th Avenue Light Rail Station in Aurora which serves the Fitzsimmons Medical Campus and the Denver Tech Center.

“The buyer intends to develop the land into 350+ Class-A Multifamily Units,” stated Chase Grimes, advisor at Pinnacle Real Estate Advisors who represented the out-of-state buyer in the transaction.
What pulled this deal together and made it happen?
Quote:
During the transaction, Chase Grimes worked closely with the Buyer, the City of Aurora, and RTD (Regional Transportation District) to negotiate the construction of a new road and bridge that will serve the vibrant station.

“This transaction is a perfect example of an out-of-state buyer leveraging Pinnacle’s local expertise to achieve its long-term goals in the fast growing sub-market that is Aurora,” noted Chase Grimes.
Presumably this will be the typical three-story walk-up style apartment complex which would keep the investment risk more appealing.

I can recall when I rode the R Line last year thinking how much potential existed given the amount of vacant land sitting there. I also had wondered about infrastructure needs and costs.

It's a start.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
FasTracks Update

RTD Explores Money Options To Catch Up On Unfinished FasTracks Trains
JUN 19, 2019 By NATHANIEL MINOR - CPR

Nice recap of where FasTracks currently sits.

bunt, wong, or anyone smarter than myself, I have a couple of questions?

Is there even a sunset provision in FasTracks and if so how does it work. My understanding is that the operating expenses come from the generic six-tenths percent that RTD collects. Deductive reasoning has me thinking that the FasTracks specific tax can/would be used for maintenance and replacement over time. This would actually be comforting to know that needed replacement costs are already built in via the existing FasTracks tax. Obviously the majority of this tax is currently used to pay off the bond funding used during construction.
I mean.... that PPT link lays out some alternative solutions not really discussed in the article (earmarks, etc). However, nobody in CO has enough political sway in DC to pull off something like that. Could the voters vote in a new chunk of tax increases to fund a train from FoCo to Trinidad while tossing in the NW line? Sure..... but I doubt that will happen. I still think RTD, and local municipalities should invest more in true BRT. It can work just as well as the train, at a fraction of the cost. With Bustang continuously exceeding ridership expectations, I don't see why this isn't explored more.

Another fly in the ointment here is the CO supreme court decision that could pave the way to have TABOR repealed by the voters. If that happens, all bets are off.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 9:27 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...lots-sold.html

Pepsi sold two parking lots near 38th and Blake station to Carmel, who is looking to submit a site development plan later this year. That seems pretty significant.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:20 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by The FasTracks update TakeFive posted
Code:
CORRIDOR	RIDERSHIP	COST	COST/RIDER
Central		3200		$140M	$ 44k
North extension	3100		$280M	$ 90k
NW		4100		$1.5B	$366k    <------- !!!!!
SW extension	3700		$170M	$ 46k
4,100 riders

NW is almost an order of magnitude less efficient than the others. It's less than 1/5 the ridership of Colfax buses. Less than 1/3 Flatiron Flyer ridership. Significantly less than even Boulder's local SKIP bus. And they want to spend $1.5 billion on it.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
4,100 riders

NW is almost an order of magnitude less efficient than the others. It's less than 1/5 the ridership of Colfax buses. Less than 1/3 Flatiron Flyer ridership. Significantly less than even Boulder's local SKIP bus. And they want to spend $1.5 billion on it.
Bu, Bu, But by 2050 there's a really real chance that ridership estimates should double.

None of these options make much sense, really, except perhaps the central corridor assuming it's still wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I still think RTD, and local municipalities should invest more in true BRT. It can work just as well as the train, at a fraction of the cost. With Bustang continuously exceeding ridership expectations, I don't see why this isn't explored more.
Both Bustang and the Flatiron Flyer demonstrate the appeal of a more upscale express bus service. Neither feel like 'mass' transit. I assume it's the much nicer 'coaches' that is half the appeal. Next up in this category is BRT-lite along the Boulder - Longmont Diagonal.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I still think RTD, and local municipalities should invest more in true BRT. It can work just as well as the train, at a fraction of the cost. With Bustang continuously exceeding ridership expectations, I don't see why this isn't explored more.
I've had some fun debates on behalf of BRT with a blog buddy in Phoenix. He grew up in NYC and he has no interest in BRT; has to be a train. He, like a lot of people would MUCH prefer to ride the rails. I can appreciate his thinking.

I'd conclude it depends on context. What Denver/RTD is planning for E Colfax is a splendid use of BRT. I especially like the center-running lanes through the denser area of Cap Hill before the buses will then move to curbside service. BTW, in a few more months we can celebrate the third decade of trying to accomplish this project.

Federal Blvd would seem to provide the same opportunity as Colfax. Beyond those streets it gets trickier (outside of downtown itself). It's much harder to justify dedicated lanes if other than for Rush Hours, buses are only needed infrequently. BAT lanes (especially downtown) might be an option in some cases. Over time and if one new BRT route is added every decade then maybe in a couple of decades it will be much different.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:49 PM

I pulled up DEN gate usage on flightstats.com

The six new "temporary" A gates (A71-A81, odds only) have been restriped as nine new gates, A71-A87). United's regional partner Skywest is using them fairly intensively for its CRJ200 flights. This is most likely in preparation for the temporary loss of gates in the eastern end of the B concourse as those gates are reconstructed in the coming years.

United continues to use C38, and has expanded its use of A33-A37 odds as the airline just doesn't have enough room on the B concourse for all of its flights. Delta and American are also sending more of their domestic flights over from their full gates into the "common use" international gates A33-A47. Frontier has expanded in practice from just its 8 dedicated gates to 11, with flights out of A52, A54 (renumbered from A56?) and A60 (the last two gates are ground gates).

Even after all of the concourse expansions are complete, I expect United to use part of the A concourse as the B concourse will have no room for further expansion henceforth.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:47 PM
Ground Scraper

Quote:
Bu, Bu, But by 2050 there's a really real chance that ridership estimates should double.
Why would they? Boulder has actually shrunk in recent years, and virtually all municipalities along this corridor are anti-growth. This includes Boulder, Superior, Louisville, Lafayette, Broomfield (land-locked but some greenfield development along US-36 - NOT the NW rail corridor), and Westminster (although their town center may generate some ridership despite also being next to a major FF corridor stop).
"When white people move out of a neighborhood, it's called white flight and it's racist. When white people move back to a neighborhood, it's called gentrification and it's racist. So, white people should just never move." - internet comment

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Why would they? Boulder has actually shrunk in recent years, and virtually all municipalities along this corridor are anti-growth. This includes Boulder, Superior, Louisville, Lafayette, Broomfield (land-locked but some greenfield development along US-36 - NOT the NW rail corridor), and Westminster (although their town center may generate some ridership despite also being next to a major FF corridor stop).

did they modify the plans to add a stop at the Wesminster town center? Based on the map below, they would go right past it and have a stop near the Wesminster Promenade.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/img/fastra...-northwest.jpg

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Very good question; I didn't even give it a thought.
In any case, 30 years from now I'd expect the NW route will still be a bottom priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmapper View Post
I pulled up DEN gate usage on flightstats.com

The six new "temporary" A gates (A71-A81, odds only) have been restriped as nine new gates, A71-A87). United's regional partner Skywest is using them fairly intensively for its CRJ200 flights. This is most likely in preparation for the temporary loss of gates in the eastern end of the B concourse as those gates are reconstructed in the coming years.

United continues to use C38, and has expanded its use of A33-A37 odds as the airline just doesn't have enough room on the B concourse for all of its flights. Delta and American are also sending more of their domestic flights over from their full gates into the "common use" international gates A33-A47. Frontier has expanded in practice from just its 8 dedicated gates to 11, with flights out of A52, A54 (renumbered from A56?) and A60 (the last two gates are ground gates).

Even after all of the concourse expansions are complete, I expect United to use part of the A concourse as the B concourse will have no room for further expansion henceforth.
Thanks for the info; DIA (DEN) is so amazing.

By the time this gate expansion is completed along with the Great Hall and new security check-in I'd guess it will be time to seriously start exploring building a new terminal.

There's also plans to widen Pena Blvd with a reconfigured interchange at Jackson Gap Street. They also plan a free-flowing turn lane that will make it easier for drivers to return to the airport from outbound Peña. Denver Post has the coverage.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 4:28 PM

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 10:22 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmapper View Post

Freaks me out when I get dropped at C. And I have gotten off the train at B without even realizing my plane was on C. Does give me the opportunity to look down on the Southwest flyers, though.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 5:26 AM

Source
PARTY LIKE IT’S 1969 AT RTD’S 50TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION!
Posted on 06.25.19

Join us for RTD’s 50th Anniversary Celebration!
  • When: Friday, July 12 from 11:00 am to 5:30 pm
  • Where: Union Station Plaza (17th & Wynkoop)
As a thank you to our community, please come out and enjoy food, fun, and entertainment with a throwback twist! We’ll have food trucks, a band, giveaways, interactive displays, a commemorative photo booth, and more as we celebrate 50 years of moving people.

Last edited by TakeFive; Jun 27, 2019 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
The outlier

Prior to tonight I knew next to nothing about her but I'd love to see a debate between Trump and Tulsi Gabbard.
And this relates to transportation in Denver how exactly?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 12:54 PM

does anyone know why the N line doesn't stop at 38th and Blake?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West