HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 2:04 PM

Video Link

This thing is massive.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 1:35 AM

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 11:59 PM

Photo from June 5th.

https://twitter.com/9to5mac

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 2:19 AM

A new drone video from July 2...

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=128&v=QH7Ct-VMqtQ

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 3:38 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Search history of Apple's head architect: 'how to conceal particle accelerator' ...lol probably followed by... 'design of the pentagon'

"I figured it out.. I guess we'll call it.... a 'revolutionary new campus design'"

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 3:04 PM

Particle accelerator, huh? Explains all the levels below ground. Unless they're planning some top secret new research for beating Samsung.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 6:07 PM

A new drone video from December...

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X7RCNGo9qA

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 2:14 AM

Wow, it's time travel to 1990. Dead on arrival...no matter how nice this is - it doesn't have location, location, location. They would have been much better developing in SF...or at least building something more urban minded....

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 2:33 AM
Show me the blueprints

Ehhh. I actually think this may be the exception to that rule. This will be so monolithic that it is essentially place making redefined.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 2:40 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
Wow, it's time travel to 1990. Dead on arrival...no matter how nice this is - it doesn't have location, location, location. They would have been much better developing in SF...or at least building something more urban minded....
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the area, but the location is actually pretty good for Apple:
1) Apple is a South Bay company and has been for some time. They have almost no presence in SF and I don't know where they could build something to fit their needs without running into huge opposition. This location is very close Apple's existing HQ complex plus dozens of other nearby current and future Apple buildings.
2) It's not as remote of a location as you might think looking at drone footage. Lots of retail and mixed-use redevelopments in the immediate area. It is however a mostly auto-oriented place (like the rest of Silicon Valley). But that's probably why they have their own private fleet of buses....

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the area, but the location is actually pretty good for Apple:
1) Apple is a South Bay company and has been for some time. They have almost no presence in SF and I don't know where they could build something to fit their needs without running into huge opposition. This location is very close Apple's existing HQ complex plus dozens of other nearby current and future Apple buildings.
2) It's not as remote of a location as you might think looking at drone footage. Lots of retail and mixed-use redevelopments in the immediate area. It is however a mostly auto-oriented place (like the rest of Silicon Valley). But that's probably why they have their own private fleet of buses....
time will tell...

I think it will suite their needs for a period of time and then be very difficult to retrofit into something else...

reminds me of bell labs in NJ - invented the transistor, lasers, C, C++, etc etc

http://fortune.com/2015/02/02/bell-l...state-revival/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
The failure to have any downtown presence or significant presence in other US cites is going to bite the company, I'd even say that's started. I've watched several professional friends turn down Apple positions (that were financially better by a large margin) because they don't want to do the 3 hour round trip form SF, relocate to the bay area, or live in the South Bay. Remote work is also strongly discouraged if not outright prohibited which is a significant difference from their other tech counterparts.

Apple has the resources to easily obtain a sizable downtown SF office tower and certainly to establish presences in other US cities. The people making the decisions simply have no desire to do so.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
The failure to have any downtown presence or significant presence in other US cites is going to bite the company, I'd even say that's started. I've watched several professional friends turn down Apple positions (that were financially better by a large margin) because they don't want to do the 3 hour round trip form SF, relocate to the bay area, or live in the South Bay. Remote work is also strongly discouraged if not outright prohibited which is a significant difference from their other tech counterparts.

Apple has the resources to easily obtain a sizable downtown SF office tower and certainly to establish presences in other US cities. The people making the decisions simply have no desire to do so.
Yeah for a cutting edge company, the corporate culture seems stuck in the 80s.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 7:47 PM

Drone Update From New Apple Campus Shows Auditorium Roof in Place

Quote:
Videographer Duncan Sinfield has been providing monthly updates capturing the facility's construction with his drone. The largest curved glass panels in the world have arrived and are now appearing on the main Foster + Partners-designed structure while the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems on the roof are being covered with large plates. An arrangement of solar photovoltaic panels will serve as the final skin for the rooftop.
Video Link

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 11:29 PM

May Drone Update:

Video Link

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 12:15 AM

It should also be noted that Apple posted its first quarterly decline in iPhone sales and first quarterly decline in revenue in 13 years. Famous financier Carl Icahn just dumped his shares of Apple stock. It's been said that when companies build great buildings for themselves they're building their mausoleums and monuments to past greatness.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 12:33 AM

This symbolizes everything that is wrong with pre-2000's urban planning. A suburban-style office park with room for 12,000 employees to park their cars. This is a sign, as much as anything else, that Apple has lost their edge.

If they wanted to be progressive with their new HQ they should have:
- Continued/created a street grid on the property with an emphasis on accommodating pedestrians and bikes
- Set aside some space for a few plazas/recreation areas/parks
- Have multiple office buildings ranging from 4 to 8 floors in height with underground parking with maybe a .5 parking ratio
- Mixed in with the office buildings there are apartment and condo buildings of similar heights with ground floor retail/restaurants/entertainment. These wouldn't be built or managed by Apple but Apple could have made the plans and sold off the parcels to other entities, potentially paying for a significant part of Apple's costs

This would give them a HQ where their employees can both live and work, even car-free if one desires. Instead they end up with this monstrosity from the 80s. I'm tempted to short Apple stock based on this alone.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 1:15 AM
TL;DR

^ I hear your concerns but I'm not sure a street grid is the end-all, be-all of urban planning. Not everyone or everything needs to fit into that paradigm.

It does seem like there will at least be some underground parking in the facility, as well as ample open space. The open space at the center of the ring actually may provide a semi-urban sense of enclosure not usually found in the suburbs. It's a very harmonious, bounded space. I don't know the latest plan for this space but it does look like Apple will energize this space with its dining facilities being semi-outdoors, an amphitheater and fruit orchards for year-round fresh produce.

As far as transportation goes, Apple does indeed run an extensive system of shuttle buses. Caltrain is on its way to electrification, which will increase speeds and allow for more express trains from the city. Sadly it stops nowhere near Cupertino, but better bus and light rail options are planned for South Bay as well.

Ultimately I believe the mountain will come to Mohammed here. The market dictates that local officials will have to allow for more dense walkable nodes to be built and the existing nodes to be densified. I'm all for revitalization of cities, but SF no longer needs revitalization like so many other core cities, and SF's suburbs are going to be dragged kicking and screaming into becoming more walkable and dense.

Last edited by ardecila; May 2, 2016 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 12:29 AM

From my flight out of San Francisco. We flew right over Cupertino.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 1:04 AM

July 2016 Construction Update:

Video Link

The way things are going people are calling this the last, great Apple product of the Steve Jobs era.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development