HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

22nd Commerce Square Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Could this not still happen but as hotel/residential/retail only and cut the commercial part out of it? I've noticed the permit applications signs look like they've been refreshed on the building (one is bolted into the nice RBC building granite - that made me cringe).

Compass Realty still has this one their website (albeit with a 2018 opening date) - they recently hired Kourosh Rad, who has been at the helm of a lot of recent public engagements and other development proposals for WSP - most notably handling Danny Chedrawe's Ben's Bakery and Midtown North Proposals. Maybe this is a sign of further proposals from Compass?
I think doing this in phases would be cost prohibitive because of the amount of work that would be required to even just build on of the two towers. The entire RBC building would need to be demoed and the site would have to be rebuilt at least back up to podium level.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 1:26 AM

I don't see this as a good residential opportunity at all, especially given the amount of new residential going up nearby. As it is, those all suffer from a severe lack of services within reasonable walking distance. I could see it doing better as a hotel site.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I think doing this in phases would be cost prohibitive because of the amount of work that would be required to even just build on of the two towers. The entire RBC building would need to be demoed and the site would have to be rebuilt at least back up to podium level.
I meant build the entire structure with original massing but with no commercial. Other older office spaces around the downtown are putting forward proposals of demos or renos coverting the office to residential. Odds are the Cogswell lands will have a significant residential component as office space downtown is now in a glut. Being late on the new office trend hurt this three block cluster by only retaining one major bank, maybe this can be their chance to get ahead in a new residential area.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 8:06 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I don't see this as a good residential opportunity at all, especially given the amount of new residential going up nearby. As it is, those all suffer from a severe lack of services within reasonable walking distance. I could see it doing better as a hotel site.
There isn't much around those blocks specifically but it's not far from Spring Garden Road, the Barrington Superstore, etc. This is a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem but I think it will be solved in a few years once the Roy, Maple, and others fill up with thousands of new residents.

Generally speaking it is nicer to have a downtown that's mixed use and caters to residents as well as office workers and visitors. The 1950's-style "CBD" plan of office districts and commuters that was implemented by the 70's-90's never worked out that well. It's inefficient to have an area with tons of infrastructure that's dead after 5 pm and there are a lot of amenities that are nice to have for workers and visitors that can't really be supported without residents, at least in a smaller city like Halifax.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There isn't much around those blocks specifically but it's not far from Spring Garden Road, the Barrington Superstore, etc. This is a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem but I think it will be solved in a few years once the Roy, Maple, and others fill up with thousands of new residents.

Generally speaking it is nicer to have a downtown that's mixed use and caters to residents as well as office workers and visitors. The 1950's-style "CBD" plan of office districts and commuters that was implemented by the 70's-90's never worked out that well. It's inefficient to have an area with tons of infrastructure that's dead after 5 pm and there are a lot of amenities that are nice to have for workers and visitors that can't really be supported without residents, at least in a smaller city like Halifax.
Absolutely. I think it would be amazing to see the effect on its immediate surroundings of a large scale residential project on this site. Imagine places like Scotia Square and the Granville Mall having viable retail again.

I didn't really mind this project other than the way it treated the heritage aspects of the block. I think it could be successfully pulled off while also respecting those properties - things like that happen in other parts of the country already.

Residential would work there IMHO.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 10:07 PM
we built this city

If they have approval... couldn they modify the plans to be residential?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 2:51 AM

Reviving this thread to provide a pic of the Royal Bank Building shortly after its completion posted on FB in the group Vintage Postcards/Photos of Halifax & Nova Scotia by user Tara Smith, which were taken by her husband's grandfather in 1969 or thereabouts.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 7:18 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I got thinking about this one today. I don't think anything new has happened as far as moving forward right? I see that it is still on the Lydon Lynch website, but I know that doesn't mean a whole lot.
http://www.lydonlynch.ca/commercial-...ommerce-square

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 7:27 PM

The Thiels sold the building. I can't see this one happening as proposed. Office vacancy is too high in the city.

Pacifico is moving into the Merrill Lynch building.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 7:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The Thiels sold the building. I can't see this one happening as proposed. Office vacancy is too high in the city.
It's probably for the best. Hopefully heritage protections will be improved before the next office space gold rush when a bunch of the current leases run out. There's Cogswell and a bunch of vacant waterfront land so it's odd to tear down one of the most developed blocks in the whole city. I would guess that it only seemed attractive because of a lack of other parcels of land available with highrise office zoning.

The city is growing and there needs to be more of a push from the municipality to open up new commercial areas instead of building out a solid blob of office space in the old pre-1950's business district. Instead most of push seems to come in the other direction, from people in all of the neighbourhoods who don't want their area to change. It's fine to want to preserve parts of the city but it needs to be done in a fine-grained way and there have to be release valves somewhere when growth is pushing 10,000 a year. It also makes sense to thoughtfully channel the growth into some residential areas to improve walkability to local shops and services. The South End is pretty underserved for example, with no clear focus beyond Morris/University. Most of the older people don't care about this because they view their neighbourhood as a place where you own a Victorian house to yourself and drive to stuff in your car, but that is not going to work as well or be as desirable in the future.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 12:56 AM

Well, with all the re-develop-able lots in the Centre Plan Package A, hopefully we can some more 5-7 story office buildings, and we'll see what happens to the rest of the land in package B

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 3:58 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I felt sorry for Mr. Thiel, he was prepared to put major money into the city (and already had with the TD building). It would have been a major redevelopment. Maybe he really was ahead of his time... this development(s) will probably be required at some point.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 6:35 PM

I don't regret that it didn't happen. IMHO it wasn't a good proposal as is, and was ultimately not necessary with the Cogswell property about to become available for development.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 4:54 PM

This one has come up again. I guess all the companies in the buildings have gotten a notice to vacate according to a halifax retales post about the urban cottage closing.someone mentioned about the new development being in ANS but I dont have access to it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 1:27 PM

AllNS article made it sound like it won't be the 22 Commerce Square design, but rather a whole new design that preserves more of the heritage elements.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 2:15 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Any details available?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
AllNS article made it sound like it won't be the 22 Commerce Square design, but rather a whole new design that preserves more of the heritage elements.
That sounds more promising than the previous proposal, but honestly I wish they would leave the heritage properties alone.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 3:43 AM
Halifax Promoter!

When can we find out details on this?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 2:11 PM

Story didn't say. They're in very early stages and have engaged a "major" Halifax firm to explore options.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 12:47 AM

Per Halifax Retales, the Beaver Sailor Diner has received an early termination notice on their lease.

https://twitter.com/HalifaxReTales/s...186368/photo/1

Looks like something may moving along with this one?

edit: just read back and it's likely part of the same notices mentioned above. At least there's a date. Move along. Nothing to see here!

Last edited by hoser111; Mar 14, 2020 at 1:54 AM. Reason: updated comment

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth