HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
That is good news, especially in light of the quality of materials (stone) being applied to the podium of the Alexander. To my way of thinking, this indicates that the Weir House should get the respect it deserves.
I've heard some rumours that Killam doesn't plan to build to the design as approved, which I think is a good thing. Like you say, I think they might give this building the respect it deserves, and I'm not sure that cantilever was very respectful of this building.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I've heard some rumours that Killam doesn't plan to build to the design as approved, which I think is a good thing. Like you say, I think they might give this building the respect it deserves, and I'm not sure that cantilever was very respectful of this building.
Could be a good thing, but gee, what's the point of having approvals then?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:35 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
If it is a substantive change then it would have to be re-approved by the Design Review Committee.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to imply they'd just be doing whatever contrary to the approval. What I should have said is that, "Killam is going to ditch that design and go back to get approval for a different one."

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to imply they'd just be doing whatever contrary to the approval. What I should have said is that, "Killam is going to ditch that design and go back to get approval for a different one."
Ah, I see.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 4:59 PM

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this, but there is a new Brown Hound Pub in the Benjamin Weir house.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 5:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Thanks for the picture. It looks charming, although that lane is still half finished. I have not been back since these changes happened so I don't have a great sense of how all of this fits together with the new stairs, other changes to the brewery complex, this pub, etc. It seems like a positive development that this little neighbourhood is becoming more mixed use (e.g. the store in Flynn Flats) and I hope somebody will come up with a similar creative use for the Black-Binney house that takes more advantage of its unique architecture and outdoor space.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 8:30 PM
Just 183 km north of...

This feels like success! I expect this location will not be a stop on the bus tour of city sites destroyed by putting up buildings that allow people to live in the area. If development of taller modern muti-residential buildings downtown had happened 20 years ago I suspect that many otherwise less useful smaller historic buildings would have been saved by finding a commercial role.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 9:27 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Thanks for the picture. It looks charming, although that lane is still half finished. I have not been back since these changes happened so I don't have a great sense of how all of this fits together with the new stairs, other changes to the brewery complex, this pub, etc. It seems like a positive development that this little neighbourhood is becoming more mixed use (e.g. the store in Flynn Flats) and I hope somebody will come up with a similar creative use for the Black-Binney house that takes more advantage of its unique architecture and outdoor space.
I am enjoying seeing Hollis become more vibrant than just a thoroughfare. Going from the stretch that has the Ralston gravel pit, Gulf gravel pit, Metropark and the service side of the Maritime Centre to this part with a courtyard, well-used heritage and new development is a stark contrast.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth