HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 2:12 PM

Vancouver: Union criticizes beach volunteers

Vancouver: Union criticizes beach volunteers

The man representing striking garbage workers criticized 20 volunteers who cleaned up the trash at Kits Beach and English Bay yesterday after Wednesday night's fireworks.

The volunteers, employed by Houston Landscapes, put on their gloves at 5:30 a.m. to clean up the "disaster" they say was left by the 250,000 fireworks fans.

This union is reprehensible if they think volunteers cleaning up a beach is a bad thing.

Time to pull a Reagan and fire these greedy clowns.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 3:21 PM
loafing in lotusland

I can't believe they would be so vindictive so as to say it's their manager's jobs. Union workers really annoy me at times.

Basically, they wanted to use the fireworks as bargaining power, and they didn't get their way.

Personally, this makes me want to go out after the fireworks and help out. What a great spirit these have. Even if they were secretly paid, someone somewhere showed some initiative.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 4:34 PM

> Time to pull a Reagan and fire these greedy clowns.
I'm not a fan of this guy in general, but him and Thatcher certainly knew how to deal with the unions.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 5:34 PM
Dreaming in Colour

How many feet can a union cram it its mouth? It's a rhetorical question, really, akin to how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 7:02 PM
HA

I have only this to say:

I..............HATE...............UNIONS.

Unions have gone beyond their usefulness and it's time to fire them. Thank god I live in Richmond, with high stability in the labour climate. (Kudos to the union in Richmond in cooperating with the City and settled with a tentative agreement). Richmond has not seen a civic strike since the early 80s (source: Richmond Review).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 7:57 PM

if they were put together by a landscape company than i can see why - had it just been citizens banning together to do it than he probably wouldn't have whined

either way it is stupid

when i watched the news i was wondering why the union wasn't down there yelling SCAB SCAB

maybe they will do that the next time around

oh and residents interviewed on TV said they were expecting it to be really horrible on thursday and were surprised how clean it was saying its even better than the city does

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 8:34 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
oh and residents interviewed on TV said they were expecting it to be really horrible on thursday and were surprised how clean it was saying its even better than the city does
priceless

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 8:43 PM

haha i know right

the volunteers had it all donw in a couple of hours - they seemed to say when the city does it it turns out to be an all day event

have to add my friend and i were walking around downtown last night english bay denman robson and the garbage cans weren't over flowing much and it was quite clean considering there is a strike on

i remember the last one - the bins were overflowing onto the streets

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 5:52 AM

That was not a wise comment on the unions part. They will get no sympathy this way. Great time to pick moving to Vancouver, during a garbage strike...

Hmm, Toronto did that in the Summer a few years ago aswell, I think they time it for the Summer to maximize the stench. Bad tact if you ask me.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 7:05 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I just pisses me off when they are striking and saying other ppl are taking their job when they aren't doing it........ well it doesn't matter. They can complain all they want 'cuz volunteers have the right to pick up garbage anyway. IT'S A PUBLIC SPACE.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 9:55 PM

i have to say i was downtown on friday and compared to the previous time the garbage was spilling out of the cans onto the street (robson)

looks like negotiations broke down

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 5:43 AM

The union had a problem with a private company geting together volunteers to clean it up. If it were random people cleaning up then there would be no problem. I completly am on the side of the union on this one, there are basic rules that are and should be followed when there is a strike and that is for other private companies to but out. This was a basic publicity stunt for that landscaping company plain and simple at the expense of the unionized workers, they were taking advantage of the situation by screwing thousands of workers whos only bargaining chip was the fact that others and other workers would not back stab them. In the end all workers suffer when this hapens and I have no simpathy for that landscaping company if their stuff gets vandalized because they deserve it. Those of you who criticize unions are only jealous because workers at your job are unabel to group together and fight for a biger piece of the pie that they should be entitled to.

If this werent a city service then no one would say a word, its pathetic and self centered to cticize them for the simple fact that it inconvenieces you. be a bit more selfless and let the process play out how it should and that is that both sides will eventual find a midel ground that everyone can live with.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 7:31 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I agree with you about the company part. But not the rest... The landscaping company should not have actually used their company name in this, but the volunteers there only wanted to help.

And I also disagree about saying that we are self centered. It does inconvinience me but I'm not really complaining about it. Normally, I will side with the union but not this time: the union is the one that is self centered right now: they are asking for a 30% increase and that's just way over the top. I can see why the City is not at the bargining table.

A little bias news, but this was the City's news release:
Quote:
July 28, 2007

City finds union proposal of 30% increase completely unacceptable

Late this afternoon, CUPE 15, representing the City of Vancouver’s inside employees, ended discussions and lifted the media blackout after two days of contract negotiations over the weekend.

The City of Vancouver had invited the union back to discuss an affordable and reasonable five year contract; instead the union tabled a package that included a 30% increase in wages and benefits over a five year term. The union also demanded a guarantee of no layoffs and included other provisions that would restrict the City’s ability to manage its workforce in a cost effective manner.

The union’s latest proposal included almost all the same issues and demands that have been on the table since bargaining began in September, 2006. The union was also adamant that the City must deal with all the issues they brought to the table.

The union was advised by City negotiators that the package CUPE tabled was completely unreasonable, but that the City’s negotiating team would be available to continue to meet, if the union wanted to reconsider its position.

“The City has consistently taken the view that it wants to reach a fair and reasonable settlement that respects its employees, but the City also has an absolute obligation to taxpayers to provide services efficiently, effectively and affordably,” stated City spokesperson Jerry Dobrovolny.

“The City regrets the impact union job action is having on City residents, visitors and businesses,” states Dobrovolny, “But unfortunately it looks as if this strike is going to go on for some period of time.”
BTW: though their is no direct proof of this: today, City Managers during the morning's cleanup has been picking have noticed that the placement of garbage is done in a way that seagulls can conveniently take them. The garbage is also spread out pretty evenly throughout the beach. Hmm... I wonder why... hmmm

Video Report: find Sunday's video: globaltv.com

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 7:45 AM
Mac User

Unions should be illigal.

I am in one and I want out but I can't get out with out quiting my job. They serve no purpose but to protect the people who should be fired and to take $15 dollars a week from me.

The goverment should protect working people and make unions a criminal offence.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
Unions should be illigal.

I am in one and I want out but I can't get out with out quiting my job. They serve no purpose but to protect the people who should be fired and to take $15 dollars a week from me.

The goverment should protect working people and make unions a criminal offence.
I wish you could transport your self back a 100 years. There are so many things I want to say in response but none of them would be good.

Sure there are people who take advantage of the protection of unions but you have to look at the greater good. With your logic we should overhaul our court system because some criminals take advantage of it and get away with some crimes they shouldent. Only probelm is that society as a whole would suffer just like if you made unions illegal.

If you are in a union and feel their not performing then vote for someone that has a agenda more inline with yours, if your right then they will make changes that will benefit you. If you are not in a union then you should still be thankfull for them pushing up the market wages for your job. Look at the NHLPA 20-30 years before the players made nothing while the owners lined their pockets all thanks to the players. Now the players get their share of the pie all thanks to unionizing them selves, and the owners still make their money. Unions are so important to todays society by keeping the gap between rich and poor small and alowing a strong midel class to exist(the most important class of society), if you want them to be illegal then you are either selfish or ignorant.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 11:38 AM

Well, individuals should have freedom of association. But some unions are way over the top. If anything Government unions should be tackled instead of private sector unions. I've heard the BCGEU say some really stupid things regarding the liquor stores, which IMO should be privatized, including distribution.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 2:59 PM

> I wish you could transport your self back a 100 years
I wish unions could transport themselves forward 100 years from the year they are currently living in which is 1907. I can't believe the power that unions have in BC. They stifle the economy. I worked on contract at Telus for a number of years, and it was very frustrating having to deal with the extra bureaucracy that the union imposed.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 3:09 PM
I am a typical

"How dare you maintain the fabric of society while we're trying to disrupt it!!"

Well, sorry for not wanting to live in filth. At least they aren't forcing bankrupt companies to give them millions of dollars in pensions. If Vancouver goes bankrupt and they all end up unemployed *cough*Neenah Paper*cough* it's their own damn fault.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 9:22 PM
Dreaming in Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
The union had a problem with a private company geting together volunteers to clean it up. If it were random people cleaning up then there would be no problem. I completly am on the side of the union on this one, there are basic rules that are and should be followed when there is a strike and that is for other private companies to but out. This was a basic publicity stunt for that landscaping company plain and simple at the expense of the unionized workers, they were taking advantage of the situation by screwing thousands of workers whos only bargaining chip was the fact that others and other workers would not back stab them. In the end all workers suffer when this hapens and I have no simpathy for that landscaping company if their stuff gets vandalized because they deserve it. Those of you who criticize unions are only jealous because workers at your job are unabel to group together and fight for a biger piece of the pie that they should be entitled to.
Whatever, comrade.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 6:27 PM
Mac User

Cornholio maybe 100 years ago unions were neccisary but here in BC today many of them are just hurting working people more than protecting them. Bottem line is that I am in a union and want out bad!

And by the wat you make a terrible point, they need to overhaul the court system. It is becoming a joke.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion