HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
There is too much debate about hsr. Of course, I'll never understand it. People need to travel more and experience things like hsr before labeling It automatically as a bridge to nowhere or boondoggle, etc, etc. There must be more options for travel in this country, current train system is a damned joke of the highest order and our highways are clogged and slow in dense areas. Not to mention how jamed our airports and airspace is getting in high population areas. Also, few new runways or highways will be built due to nimby issues.
Some of these conservative politicians, lobbyists, etc you could try and explain/convince till you're blue in the face and they still will come back with their childish rhetoric, no matter how much their argument devolves into stupid debbie-downing and assumptions.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 2:21 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

I like when they use the word "Choo Choo" like that is a mature word to use.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I like when they use the word "Choo Choo" like that is a mature word to use.
I really get a crack when people ridicule hsr proposals referring to them as "magic trains" or make childish comparisons to "flying unicorns", as if a 200+ mph train is so out of this world compared to a 400+ ton airplane.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 8:04 PM
Show me the blueprints

^In many cases these are the same people that seem to take pride in the fact that they don't own an American passport. Telling.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 8:26 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheBay View Post
I really get a crack when people ridicule hsr proposals referring to them as "magic trains" or make childish comparisons to "flying unicorns", as if a 200+ mph train is so out of this world compared to a 400+ ton airplane.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 9:11 PM

Agency to study Atlanta-to-Columbus high-speed rail

August 9, 2012

By Dave Williams

Read More: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...-columbus.html

Quote:
The Georgia Department of Transportation (DOT) is seeking a consultant to study the feasibility of building a high-speed rail line linking Atlanta and Columbus, Ga.

- A recent study commissioned by the Georgia DOT and state transportation agencies in Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky found high-speed rail feasible in the Southeast, a region long considered problematic for passenger rail because of the distance between major cities.

- A cost-benefit analysis conducted by Hartsfield-Jackson officials last year found that no feasible site exists for a second airport inside the metro region. Consulting firms interested in the Atlanta-to-Columbus rail line study have until Sept. 21 to submit bids. The study is expected to cost about $300,000.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 5:11 PM

Yesterday, Mitt RMoney said that he and his running mate, Ayn Rand, would eliminate funding for Amtrak. Nevermind that Mitt also proposes to increase defense spending by fifty percent to $950B per year, which would be about 950 times Amtrak's annual budget. Nevermind that in 2010, more federal money was spent on highways than has been spent on Amtrak during its forty year history, combined. We can either have massive tax loopholes for billionaires or we can have good infrastructure (or education) but we can't have both.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...c-broadcasting

The Transport Politic also has a post this week showing what Ayn Rand/Paul Ryan's budget would mean for transportation: http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...-in-contrasts/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 5:32 PM

that ayn rand stuff is funny.
my mother told me that my father loved ayn rand in 1960.
I support obama & democrats.
republicans hate amtrak & kermit the frog.
george bush jr is not smarter then a high school teacher yet
he was the president.
2013 will be good year for rail in the usa.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 8:45 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Yesterday, Mitt RMoney said that he and his running mate, Ayn Rand, would eliminate funding for Amtrak. Nevermind that Mitt also proposes to increase defense spending by fifty percent to $950B per year, which would be about 950 times Amtrak's annual budget. Nevermind that in 2010, more federal money was spent on highways than has been spent on Amtrak during its forty year history, combined. We can either have massive tax loopholes for billionaires or we can have good infrastructure (or education) but we can't have both.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...c-broadcasting

The Transport Politic also has a post this week showing what Ayn Rand/Paul Ryan's budget would mean for transportation: http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...-in-contrasts/

You're not just now realizing that these people have gone off the deep end, right?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
You're not just now realizing that these people have gone off the deep end, right?
No, absolutely not but it is especially bad in the last 2 - 3 years.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 9:14 PM
Show me the blueprints

In a nutshell, when Obama was elected in '08 their heads exploded, and the lid on the pandora's box of GOP crypto-faschist, revisionist history crazydom was lifted. Even if Obama is re-elected, I don't see the Non Sense subsiding. That party has ceded itself to theocrats and the selfish Rand, objectivist loving FAR right. I'm actually rooting for them to destroy themselves. If their is just one example of just how unhinged and wicked they've become, look at this Pennsylvania voter ID (voter suppression) law pushed by them. This has got to be the most sinister and glaring examples of their CONTEMPT for the democratic process. They really only applaud democracy when it goes their way, and their lust for power and hatred of OUR president has them shredding the constitution so the election can drift in their favor. I'm awestruck by the irony.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
In a nutshell, when Obama was elected in '08 their heads exploded, and the lid on the pandora's box of GOP crypto-faschist, revisionist history crazydom was lifted. Even if Obama is re-elected, I don't see the Non Sense subsiding. That party has ceded itself to theocrats and the selfish Rand, objectivist loving FAR right. I'm actually rooting for them to destroy themselves. If their is just one example of just how unhinged and wicked they've become, look at this Pennsylvania voter ID (voter suppression) law pushed by them. This has got to be the most sinister and glaring examples of their CONTEMPT for the democratic process. They really only applaud democracy when it goes their way, and their lust for power and hatred of OUR president has them shredding the constitution so the election can drift in their favor. I'm awestruck by the irony.
what do you mean your rooting for them to destroy themselves......
didnt you see roomney pick doofes from wisconsin paul ryan???
he is a little bat shit crazy about stuff like abortion & taxes.
not only will obama get re-elected but the house and senate will
go more dem.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 12:39 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
what do you mean your rooting for them to destroy themselves......
didnt you see roomney pick doofes from wisconsin paul ryan???
he is a little bat shit crazy about stuff like abortion & taxes.
not only will obama get re-elected but the house and senate will
go more dem.
Sure, Romney and Ryan may be "batshit crazy," and Obama may be in favor of high speed rail (as am I), but on the grand scheme of things, I really do not trust Obama. The more I see what he's doing, the more similar to Greece or the former Soviet Union this country looks. Who do you think is going to pay for his Obamacare...?

I'm also becomming a small business owner, as in running my own business; going into business for myself since I can't find crap in this horrid job market; he's pretty much already written off Generation "why." So yeah, I definitely do not trust Obama. I'm not a conservative either. I'm more of a libertarian if anything...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Sure, Romney and Ryan may be "batshit crazy," and Obama may be in favor of high speed rail (as am I), but on the grand scheme of things, I really do not trust Obama. The more I see what he's doing, the more similar to Greece or the former Soviet Union this country looks. Who do you think is going to pay for his Obamacare...?

I'm also becomming a small business owner, as in running my own business; going into business for myself since I can't find crap in this horrid job market; he's pretty much already written off Generation "why." So yeah, I definitely do not trust Obama. I'm not a conservative either. I'm more of a libertarian if anything...
How is it obama's fault for the job market? i guess you dont remember the 8 years of the last fk tard. How is it obamas fault that the economy wen kaboom months before he went into office? it must be his fault to that we went to war with 2 different countries, once of which had nothing to do with 9/11 but you know the "weapons of mass destruction" were there right..oh please. Republicans are dumber then my pet rock, give me a break

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 1:17 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:

Yeah you've got a lot to learn. I suppose you are part of the Ron Paul Revolution? Now there's a country I want to be a part of Libertarianism is a black hole.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 2:54 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Honestly I think its time with divide the US up...its not working. We have the Conservative South vs the Old Liberal Northeast and West Coast and laided back slow midwest.... I think the Northeastern / Mid Atlantic should form one nation. NY-NJ-CT-NH-RI-ME-VT-PA-MA-MD-DE-NOVA have a population of 65 Million and a 3.6 Trillion economy , low unemployment , higher education , lower crime rates , a more European social views....

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 6:03 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Who do you think is going to pay for his Obamacare...?
Really shouldn't be doing this, but...

Obamacare is deficit-neutral. All of its costs are offset by cuts and efficiencies elsewhere in the budget, and the elimination of certain tax loopholes.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 7:44 AM

Quote:
\The more I see what he's doing, the more similar to Greece or the former Soviet Union this country looks.
Then you do not know much about either.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 1:39 PM

Quote:
The more I see what he's doing, the more similar to Greece or the former Soviet Union this country looks.
Maybe Obamacare can get you a new pair of glasses because you obviously can't see worth a fuck.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 2:06 PM

you need glasses to see a minor trip to the e.r. will
cost you $25,000 dollars.
people go bankrupt and lose there house because of cancer.
how come japan&germany have better health care than usa.
we beat them in world war 2.
the people in colorado that got shot have to beg for money
to pay there medical bills.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation