HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

The Dale in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 2:44 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Reason: Hey look! McC finally figured out how to post a picture!
Congrats McC!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 2:48 AM

I was thinking to myself it would be great if this kind of design was located in the downtown core, but this area will probably be considered a part of downtown in the future.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:59 PM
Closed account

Tega Homes

I can't find the proper image, but if you go to Tega Homes' front page, you can see two interesting renderings of the Rhombus. http://www.tegahomes.com/

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentgaulois View Post
I can't find the proper image, but if you go to Tega Homes' front page, you can see two interesting renderings of the Rhombus. http://www.tegahomes.com/
That is cool. Didn't expect that from Tega (or any other Ottawa developer).

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 11:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That is cool. Didn't expect that from Tega (or any other Ottawa developer).
It definitely makes the building seem even better.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 1:11 AM

Quote:
It definitely makes the building seem even better.
To follow in McC's footsteps, welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 1:22 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 2:32 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
To follow in McC's footsteps, welcome to the forum!
Thank you very much! I've actually been following this forum for the better part of the year, and decide perhaps I should have an account to participate in the discussion.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
am I only one who likes this updated design better than the original one (which is actually very cool but should not be surrounded by other tall buildings... in future)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 2:11 PM

You're definitely not the only one. Once we saw proper renderings, instead of the flat b&w elevations, there was much agreement around that neighbourhood that the Design Review had improved the look. The slanty top was cool, but I think that that striking feature kept us from looking carefully at the original shaft of the tower, and from noticing just how clunky and cluttered it was. This is much more elegant. I think it looks very "Toronto," which is kinda fitting for a Parkdale address, don't you think?

Although there's something wrong with that image, as the podium is supposed to be the exact same height as at 99 Parkdale to the north (left in the image), and I don't think that the front entrance projects out like that in the site plan, either. (although I'm happy to be corrected by anyone who can read those things better than me, which shouldn't be too hard!)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 2:53 PM

It's definitely a nice building, but it doesn't make me say, "Wow!" yet. Maybe it's just the angle. It was either at planning committee or council that Jan Harder said this is something you'd find in a big city that cares about design. McC says it looks very "Toronto". I'm just not that impressed yet. Cities like Toronto are changing when it comes to architecture. More curves. More and more European inspired design. Sculptures in the sky. I'm not saying Ottawa needs to do the same thing, but if we're gonna make the comparison, I think this is where Toronto was last decade, not where it is now and where it's going. It would be nice to see some buildings with curves in Ottawa.

But it does look like it could be a combo condo-hotel, condo-office, or condo-office-hotel type of building which we don't see in Ottawa.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
But it does look like it could be a combo condo-hotel, condo-office, or condo-office-hotel type of building which we don't see in Ottawa.
why do you say that? the proposal is for 3 live-work units and a café in the podium and 30 floors of apartments above.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 3:26 PM

Quote:
You're definitely not the only one. Once we saw proper renderings, instead of the flat b&w elevations, there was much agreement around that neighbourhood that the Design Review had improved the look. The slanty top was cool, but I think that that striking feature kept us from looking carefully at the original shaft of the tower, and from noticing just how clunky and cluttered it was. This is much more elegant. I think it looks very "Toronto," which is kinda fitting for a Parkdale address, don't you think?

Although there's something wrong with that image, as the podium is supposed to be the exact same height as at 99 Parkdale to the north (left in the image), and I don't think that the front entrance projects out like that in the site plan, either. (although I'm happy to be corrected by anyone who can read those things better than me, which shouldn't be too hard!)
They've clearly put some random design in for 99 Parkdale, as it has no similarity to the proposal for 99, so the podium shown for 99 probably isn't right either.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
They've clearly put some random design in for 99 Parkdale, as it has no similarity to the proposal for 99, so the podium shown for 99 probably isn't right either.
oh yeah, you're right, the tower for 99 is completely different! I feel like one of the chumps* in this experiment! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

*i.e. everybody

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:40 PM

Quote:
why do you say that? the proposal is for 3 live-work units and a café in the podium and 30 floors of apartments above.
I know it's strictly a condo, but the design from outside looks like one of those condo-hotel, condo-office, or condo-hotel-office developments.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I know it's strictly a condo, but the design from outside looks like one of those condo-hotel, condo-office, or condo-hotel-office developments.
Can I ask: whats the difference in the look of a condo building versus a condo-office or condo-hotel building? To me, I have a very hard time distinguishing a condo-hotel (like the Slater building going up) over a condo tower (like the Gardens).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 4:02 PM

Their is an add with full view rendering on the second page of the Citizen's Homes and Condos section.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 6:40 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Can I ask: whats the difference in the look of a condo building versus a condo-office or condo-hotel building? To me, I have a very hard time distinguishing a condo-hotel (like the Slater building going up) over a condo tower (like the Gardens).
What I was trying to say is in that rendering it looked like the higher floors had a different use from everything underneath.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
That's the one! Thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa