HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Hyatt Times Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 11:54 PM

Any updates here it's been a month without a pic

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 5:17 PM

^^

IMG_4091.JPG por denkmanttlb, no Flickr

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oura View Post
Another one set back from the street, that destroys the streetwall and will show us gigantic blank walls from the sides.

Just awfull.

like this

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 9:10 PM

Nice filler!...There will likely be signage on the blank wall on the side facing times square

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 9:37 PM

Its amazing how 600 feet has zero effect on the Manhattan skyline.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 9:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Extell may not be done yet in the area...

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/01/...Estate+News%29
Extell buys Hell’s Kitchen parking garage for $29M

January 19, 2012
By Katherine Clarke

Quote:
Gary Barnett’s Extell Development has purchased a 44,564-square-foot parking garage on West 44th Street for $29 million, according to public records filed with the city today. The garage, at 332 West 44th Street, was was sold by Central Parking System.

The company first put the property on the market amongst a batch of other Midtown parking sites in 2007. Those sites included 12 West 48th Street; 430 West 37th Street, 159 West 48th Street, 138 East 50th Street and 135 East 47th Street. They were initially marketed by Richard Baxter of Cushman & Wakefield, who has since moved with his New York capital markets team to Jones Lang LaSalle. It was not immediately clear if Baxter still had the listing for all the sites, including 332 west 44th Street, the sale of which closed on Dec. 1.

Combined, the sites could morph into 650,000 in buildable square feet, it was previously reported. Baxter told the Post in 2007: “The locations are so prime and so central they are almost viable to keep as garages but are also valuable as development sites.”

The site purchased by Extell is just two blocks away from the company’s 50-story hotel project at 131-139 West 45th Street...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcity View Post
like this

Ew ew ew, what the hell is that?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 5:17 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

That's a genuine Sam Change/Gene Kaufman a̶b̶o̶m̶i̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶collaboration on w39th, nicknamed the tripack.

http://www.hotelchatter.com/tag/tri-pack%20hotel

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 5:37 AM

Really astonishing that this was deliberately designed and built by humans. I would think autism is a hindrance to the pursuit of a degree in architecture.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Really astonishing that this was deliberately designed and built by humans. I would think autism is a hindrance to the pursuit of a degree in architecture.
Let's be fair to autistic people. Many are savants, and all could probably design something more interesting than this garbage. Lucky we have about 1,000 taller buildings in the city.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
That's a genuine Sam Change/Gene Kaufman a̶b̶o̶m̶i̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶collaboration on w39th, nicknamed the tripack.

http://www.hotelchatter.com/tag/tri-pack%20hotel
Really? I'm surprised this isn't an ANDY Kaufman joke. (Andy's jokes were often meant to be funny only to him)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 4:42 PM
BANNED

I don't understand this obsession with bare concrete walls... actually, I find it rather disgusting and this would not happen in most world cities. If they don't cover that up I'm going to be pissed off. NY needs more emphasis on good design unless they want to make their city look like an ugly concrete mess like Sao Paolo or Tokyo.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 1:47 AM
GinNYC

Progress Shots

I have a good vantage point of this project from my office in the Paramount Building on Broadway & 43rd and am happy to post periodic shots if there is interest in them. Wish I had started sooner, but couldn't due to various reasons. The lighting, weather and ability to open my window will be the biggest challenges.

My images will be collected on both my smugmug site and Google+ gallery.

Smugmug site

Google+ gallery:

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
NY needs more emphasis on good design unless they want to make their city look like an ugly concrete mess like Sao Paolo or Tokyo.
1-4 WTC, Bank Of America, Beekman, one57. I think we're doing fine, and have been for the past 100+ years, thanks.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
1-4 WTC, Bank Of America, Beekman, one57. I think we're doing fine, and have been for the past 100+ years, thanks.
For the past 100 years? What about all those monstrosities that were built in the 60's and 70's? Do you want another ugly blank concrete monstrosity that looks like something from that era? I don't.

This is the 21st century and we are still building ugly concrete crap!!

I don't understand how they are allowed to leave that concrete wall bare like that for all to admire.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:52 AM

It might be tasteful and it might be clad in something other then concrete, but blank walls are there because of the layout of a hotel like this, this is in fact a very standard hotel layout. Most hotels have two principal sides with rooms against them with one long hallway down the middle, and the ends are usually windowless as the rooms all face in one of two directions. At least its not painted like a zebra on the side like mcsam specials.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
For the past 100 years? What about all those monstrosities that were built in the 60's and 70's? Do you want another ugly blank concrete monstrosity that looks like something from that era? I don't.

This is the 21st century and we are still building ugly concrete crap!!

I don't understand how they are allowed to leave that concrete wall bare like that for all to admire.
There are definitely some ugly boxy buildings in the city. However, that era gave us a lot of filler that provides a sort of canvas//frame/back drop for the older buildings, as well as the newer/sleeker ones. Smaller, tacky ones like this really don't matter.

Oh, and of the boxy buildings, I like One Chase Manhattan Plaza, the MetLife Building, One Astor Plaza, the General Motors Building, One New York Plaza, etc.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 1:24 PM

ginnyc, thanks for the photos! You've got a perfect vantage point for them. If you wouldn't mind a photo every couple of weeks that'd be greatly appreciated. This tower doesn't get many updates as One57, Gem Tower, 250 W 55th, and 1715 Bway, are all relatively close by and are all more interesting, but this is still a solid 600 footer.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 10:30 PM

i think they build completly differnt in new york. if you look how they build a skyscraper in europa or asia there is often a concept in ny the buy a plot an build a skyscraper on it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 11:13 PM
Astorian

Great vantage point GinNYC... keep the pics coming, would love to see this one grow! You have a great office view.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive