HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 7:54 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Loud. I live in Central Shanghai, so there's always a horn honking in the background or someone's car alarm ringing. I've gotten used to it.

Here's a video from my apartment window(s). Yeah, it's alive down there.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 5:22 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Loud. I live in Central Shanghai, so there's always a horn honking in the background or someone's car alarm ringing. I've gotten used to it.

Video Link
just got back from shanghai. there were moments where i was busting into laughter at how rediculous the assault of noises of shanghai were, and of course how freaking loud it is. although part of the time i was staying pretty deep in the warrens of the french concession and it wasn't so loud.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 11:29 PM

The French Concession (where that video was taken) has its moments, especially during rush hour (when that video was taken), but it's easily the quietest place in Central Shanghai. After 12am, it's eerily peaceful for being in the heart of such a big city.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 11:52 PM

the repeating recordings on vehicles/bikes really cracked me up. i presume they were advertisements for restaurants/food stands but they had the aire of a call to prayer in an islamic city. i'm guessing though that they were saying "try my sesame dough balls at wherever" or something over and over.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 7:50 AM

^ I don't even notice those anymore. I've become so desensitized to city noise, apparently.

I need to ground myself in some proper Canadian nature this summer.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
^ I don't even notice those anymore. I've become so desensitized to city noise, apparently.

I need to ground myself in some proper Canadian nature this summer.
i don't know if you have been out to moganshan, but it's great. i took a car out from shanghai but taxi to deqing then train to hangzhou and train back to shanghai. its a pretty popular expat getaway and most people out of shanghai were taking the cab just to/from deqing rail station, it was pretty easy.

the green mountains (although covered in bamboo) funnily reminded me a bit of western north carolina around asheville. my friend even said that the older villagers had like almost an appalachian heavy rural chinese accent.

rural chinese driving is something, though.

Last edited by Centropolis; Apr 12, 2017 at 11:53 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:54 PM

Quote:

Video Link

eliminating the car horn (and alarm while were at it) would be a net positive for humanity. really, self driving cars cant come soon enough

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:15 PM

the chicago purple is in fact the flight paths, but I live on the north side and it can be loud. It's like a shift change. You get everyone getting home, you get everyone going out, you get the late night sirens, you get the idiots coming home from 2 AM bars, on weekends you get people coming home from 4 AM bars, and then you get garbage trucks and whatever early AM delivery, and then you get everyone waking up. Interspersed liberally with car alarms and dogs

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
the chicago purple is in fact the flight paths, but I live on the north side and it can be loud. It's like a shift change. You get everyone getting home, you get everyone going out, you get the late night sirens, you get the idiots coming home from 2 AM bars, on weekends you get people coming home from 4 AM bars, and then you get garbage trucks and whatever early AM delivery, and then you get everyone waking up. Interspersed liberally with car alarms and dogs
they definitely over-weighted the flight paths (and/or under-weighted major streets, transit, hardscape, and expressways).

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 8:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Video Link
When the cars stop honking its actually pretty peaceful, a nice white noise.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:25 PM

I decided to go out today, and film my neighbourhood at street level. It's the square block that borders my apartment.

Video Link

Last edited by giallo; Apr 13, 2017 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:12 PM
BANNED

^lol at 3:24

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:13 PM

shanghai (seems like) = banged up electric bikes, bikes, and brand new BMWs, Mercedes, and VW SUVS.

shanghai (and china) is the most amusing city at street level i've ever been to.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:42 PM
BANNED

It actually seems quite peaceful from your balcony. Street level seems loud for sure.

Edit: The tree lined streets look amazing.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
eliminating the car horn (and alarm while were at it) would be a net positive for humanity. really, self driving cars cant come soon enough
Different cities/cultures utilize the car horn differently. Back east and Chicago(?) definitely more so than much of the West.

When I've traveled abroad, I've noticed the car horn is used like a safety device and a "watch out, I'm right here" thing. Here in the US, it's a "WTF are you doing?! MFer." type thing.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:31 AM

Park Row (BMT station)
Brooklyn Bridge–City Hall

Read More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Row_(BMT_station)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Different cities/cultures utilize the car horn differently. Back east and Chicago(?) definitely more so than much of the West.

When I've traveled abroad, I've noticed the car horn is used like a safety device and a "watch out, I'm right here" thing. Here in the US, it's a "WTF are you doing?! MFer." type thing.
yea its mostly just a form of unbridled aggression, after whatever transgression has already long ago expired.

"oh, you cut me off? Im just going to lay on my horn for 30 seconds to express my extreme displeasure! surely this will make me feel better and bring whoever this idiot is down a notch"

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
exactly. in asia it seems like it's used passively as a location signal to another driver or person that may not know that they are there.

in some places in the us it's used as like a last resort moments before a near miss or collision. or as a sign of aggression or anger.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 8:52 PM
sick transit, gloria

I'd say the loudest place I have been to was downtown Johannesburg. But only the parts that are overcrowded with hijacked buildings and a million people on the street / trying to sell stuff to you. I'll try and get a video of the craziness when I am back in October of this year. The suburbs are incredibly quiet though, even on neighbourhood high streets.

It's hard to tell from street view but driving down here was an assault on the senses: https://goo.gl/maps/eNEEH2Td7AH2

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 8:54 PM
BANNED

^That reminds me of Kuta in Bali.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions