HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Using the google machine the distances are measured to same start and end points east and north of the city.

Bypass = 45km
City Route = 22km

@100km/h bypass takes 27 minutes
@50 km/h (Average Speed through city assumed) = 26 minutes

The city presents more uncertain driving conditions. Cross traffic lights and trains.
Bypass with all rail grade separated and only two seldom used cross roads.

So yes there isn't much difference. But the Bypass is easier to drive and a lot less stressful.
How about Highway 46 from the new Balgonie interchange to the McDonald interchange at the Ring Road. That seems like a better option that avoids the Vic East traffic lights( but not the train crossings).

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 6:05 PM

I did my numbers from tower road to just north of highway 11 overpass. The relative speed of balgonoe to Regina will be 30km/h less before reaching that 22 km city routing. So the speed made up there plus the continued development along 46 and increasing traffic still make the Bypass a better option.

As the #1 and Bypass will have no at grade intersections minus two on the west side. Versus numerable on 46 and City route.

I would also add that while the #1 west to 11 north has numerous options at roughly the same time. The west bypass is more to utilize highway 6 north to highway 11 traffic. How truckers / vehicles use the road will be interesting only time will tell.

Last edited by North_Regina_Boy; Sep 7, 2017 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:32 PM

I think everyone's forgetting that the trucking industry is still located in the NE requiring the continued use of Vic E.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
I think everyone's forgetting that the trucking industry is still located in the NE requiring the continued use of Vic E.
Right - but I don't think most of the discussion here is about access to the NE. It's about the Bypass vs. city routes for access to other area highways (especially connecting from Hwy 1 east to Hwy 11).

Your point is fair - the Bypass will have little to no impact on trucks that either need to stop in Regina, or with Regina as a destination... as many of these will have the NE industrial area as a destination.

The Bypass should help Vic Ave E flow a tiny bit better (especially at bottlenecks like traffic lights & the Ring Road access), if only because there should be fewer semis using Vic/RingRoad to get past Regina (no intent of stopping here - through traffic). It won't be an earth-shattering change to the gong show that is the Vic East/Quance/PoW/Arcola commuter gong show, though.

But really, if a Bypass were designed to assist with access to the city it's bypassing, by definition, it isn't really a bypass, is it?

The Bypass assists vehicles continuing past Regina - allowing Hwy 1 traffic to stay at speed while bypassing city, or allowing Hwy 33, 11 & 6 traffic to access the other Hwys without needing to enter the city/ nor slow down significantly.

(I get that most of this particular Bypass' raison d'etre is the pink elephant on the west side of the city... but set the GTH aside, and the Bypass will function essentially as I've seen other bypasses function - it allows through traffic to avoid going through a city/town. If a vehicle needs to go into the city/town for a reason, then a bypass' existence is essentially moot for that individual. People who think the East end traffic nightmare will become significantly less nightmarish are delusional, IMHO)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Right - but I don't think most of the discussion here is about access to the NE. It's about the Bypass vs. city routes for access to other area highways (especially connecting from Hwy 1 east to Hwy 11).

Your point is fair - the Bypass will have little to no impact on trucks that either need to stop in Regina, or with Regina as a destination... as many of these will have the NE industrial area as a destination.

The Bypass should help Vic Ave E flow a tiny bit better (especially at bottlenecks like traffic lights & the Ring Road access), if only because there should be fewer semis using Vic/RingRoad to get past Regina (no intent of stopping here - through traffic). It won't be an earth-shattering change to the gong show that is the Vic East/Quance/PoW/Arcola commuter gong show, though.

But really, if a Bypass were designed to assist with access to the city it's bypassing, by definition, it isn't really a bypass, is it?

The Bypass assists vehicles continuing past Regina - allowing Hwy 1 traffic to stay at speed while bypassing city, or allowing Hwy 33, 11 & 6 traffic to access the other Hwys without needing to enter the city/ nor slow down significantly.

(I get that most of this particular Bypass' raison d'etre is the pink elephant on the west side of the city... but set the GTH aside, and the Bypass will function essentially as I've seen other bypasses function - it allows through traffic to avoid going through a city/town. If a vehicle needs to go into the city/town for a reason, then a bypass' existence is essentially moot for that individual. People who think the East end traffic nightmare will become significantly less nightmarish are delusional, IMHO)
That is well said. I liken Vic east to (Circle Drive North Saskatoon) and to a much lesser extent (at least at current volumes) to yellowhead in Edmonton and 16th ave in Calgary. All of those streets are light heavy and the bypasses removed the traffic on them that they needed. They did the same as our bypass is doing for us, and will do eventually for Saskatoon.

It took a long time for Henday and Stoney to get to where our bypass is going to be after its first "phase" which for us is really 2-3 phases in one. The Northeast leg will be done in time (but not before Saskatoon gets one IMO) although an extension from TCH east to 46 may happen sooner.

Keep in mind the NE Henday project was $1.81B to complete as a P3 and the whole road in 2017 $ is around $5B so really we are doing OK.

The NE industrial will still use MacDonald street for west access and 46 for access to TCH east.

That is where we stand today.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 7:42 PM

Re-paving of #1 East Complete

More
Great News - The repaving is complete. Hwy1 East will be reopened to four lanes by Monday PM. Thanks for your patience during construction.
7:08 PM - 24 Sep 2017

https://twitter.com/reginabypass/sta...21657128476672

According to the YQRbypass twitter account, paving is now done and traffic will revert back to two lanes each way!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torgrimj View Post
More
Great News - The repaving is complete. Hwy1 East will be reopened to four lanes by Monday PM. Thanks for your patience during construction.
7:08 PM - 24 Sep 2017

https://twitter.com/reginabypass/sta...21657128476672

According to the YQRbypass twitter account, paving is now done and traffic will revert back to two lanes each way!
But what is the speed limit!!!???

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
But what is the speed limit!!!???
Cjme states it should be back to 110 in the next few weeks. So suspect still 60.

http://www.cjme.com/2017/09/25/highw...full-capacity/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike328 View Post
Cjme states it should be back to 110 in the next few weeks. So suspect still 60.

http://www.cjme.com/2017/09/25/highw...full-capacity/
Limit is for the most part now 80 km/h with some smaller areas at 60. They have made incredible progress on Pilot Butte access. I wouldn't be surprised if it could be open at the end of May June next year after the paving is done.

Also the large girder crane is now setup at Hill Avenue. I expect it CN rail crossing and 9th north girders will be up in the next few days / weeks.

Also of note the realignment of #1 westbound lanes @ pinky and WB to SB loop are getting the sand / gravel layers finished. I expect that final alignment will be done for end of October. As well as the north and south service roads.

Lastly the EB ramp at white city is paved and lane markings are done. Just finishing up the lighting and it'll be open. I suspect by mid end of this week.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 4:37 AM

They are also set up to pour the concrete on the first bridge on #6 South and are moving dirt to twin the portion on the West side of the highway before it crosses over to the East side South of RMP.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 7:24 PM

So does anyone know when the good Bypass folks intend to sever the at grade access at Great Plains, north Service road access and gravel pit road? They have been quite quiet on this. I suspect it will be soon as to get the road ready for 110km/h traffic work on the shoulders will have to be complete at these locations.

IMO they should be giving ample warning to folks because if they don't it is going to be a day that will cause a lot of headache and paradigm changes to those rooted in the status quo.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
So does anyone know when the good Bypass folks intend to sever the at grade access at Great Plains, north Service road access and gravel pit road? They have been quite quiet on this. I suspect it will be soon as to get the road ready for 110km/h traffic work on the shoulders will have to be complete at these locations.

IMO they should be giving ample warning to folks because if they don't it is going to be a day that will cause a lot of headache and paradigm changes to those rooted in the status quo.
They'll still have right-in, right-out access at those intersections, correct?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
They'll still have right-in, right-out access at those intersections, correct?
At Great Plains and Gravel pit yes. At north service road they are closing like Balgonie Main Street. Make NSR businesses use either pilot butte or white Coty overpasses.

Great Plains only has Right in Right out from south side not north.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 5:52 PM

Supposedly Phase I opened this morning all the way to Arcola. I would like to go for a drive to test it out, but I am not going to bother if they have not raised the speed limit to 110kph yet. Does anyone know if they have?

I really want to try out the DDI at Pilot Butte.

Update: I just read the MHI PR and the PB DDI does not open until the end of 2018. Does this mean there is still a level crossing near there?

Last edited by Stormer; Oct 30, 2017 at 6:13 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:40 PM

Bad news for commuters in SE Regina. Bypass signage directs westbound through traffic to Arcola, meaning worse traffic jams and many semis on Arcola.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Bad news for commuters in SE Regina. Bypass signage directs westbound through traffic to Arcola, meaning worse traffic jams and many semis on Arcola.
Yes, this was the plan all along, for the next year until the remainder of the bypass is complete.

As for Pilot Butte, I believe that intersection remains completely closed. Pilot Butte traffic is diverted at one of the other interchanges onto the north service road.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I wonder how long truckers will fall for that. The first couple that take that route will tell their wingers that it is likely slower for them to take that route and continue with the old route until the bypass is open to Pinkie Road.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I wonder how long truckers will fall for that. The first couple that take that route will tell their wingers that it is likely slower for them to take that route and continue with the old route until the bypass is open to Pinkie Road.
It is hard to say if it will be slower. I think at rush hour yes but perhaps not at other times.

Long haul truckers may not always be in the know. Also, there is regular Trans Canada traffic.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
It is hard to say if it will be slower. I think at rush hour yes but perhaps not at other times.

Long haul truckers may not always be in the know. Also, there is regular Trans Canada traffic.
Just saw a tweet from YQR Bypass that best route is still via Victoria.

https://twitter.com/reginabypass/sta...31460088029184

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Just saw a tweet from YQR Bypass that best route is still via Victoria.

https://twitter.com/reginabypass/sta...31460088029184
For trucks at least. But why then would they have the Moose Jaw sign?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan