HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 4:57 PM

Not so sure I agree with you gowest. Are there more people and less parking spots close to the door of whichever business you want to enter, sure. I have never found that I could not find parking at Preston Crossing (and I go fairly often) or Lawson just have to walk a bit farther sometimes. I find the old model of malls or big box mall areas had just so much wasted space in the parking lot so I actually like the Preston crossing model a lot.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I’m kind of ok with smaller towers, I would rather have 3 ten stories than 1 30 story only because we really don’t have that many office towers to start and that leads to more main floor development which keeps the downtown more lively. Maybe in another 39 years we’ll see a big cahuna that’s 30 stories... I don’t see it happening in my lifetime at the current rate of office job growth in Sask.
I'm with you. I used to be all about the tall towers, but I've come to value street-level development far more. I would rather see Saskatoon's vacant downtown lots with 3-5 story buildings with retail spaces on the main level. Buildings like the one proposed by Yellow Quill First Nation on 20th and 4th would be welcome additions.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I'm with you. I used to be all about the tall towers, but I've come to value street-level development far more. I would rather see Saskatoon's vacant downtown lots with 3-5 story buildings with retail spaces on the main level. Buildings like the one proposed by Yellow Quill First Nation on 20th and 4th would be welcome additions.
outside the core yes, but anywhere along 1st ave-spadina/ 25th- river landing, in that "core" should be able to build high, id rather see taller towers, nothing less than 10-12 storeys in the core. outside the core in the new north downtown/city park-shangri-la and maybe 1-2 blocks outside 22nd west is id prefer the low rise towers there. id hate to see low rises in the core then 20 years from nwo have a 30 storey be built outside downtown, it would look funny lol.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
outside the core yes, but anywhere along 1st ave-spadina/ 25th- river landing, in that "core" should be able to build high, id rather see taller towers, nothing less than 10-12 storeys in the core. outside the core in the new north downtown/city park-shangri-la and maybe 1-2 blocks outside 22nd west is id prefer the low rise towers there. id hate to see low rises in the core then 20 years from nwo have a 30 storey be built outside downtown, it would look funny lol.
No argument here - they should be able to build as high as they like in the downtown. My point is that I would prefer to see shorter shorter buildings if that means construction will begin sooner on vacant lots, such as those on the corner of 20th and 2nd, as I value street-level development ahead of tall, glass and steel monuments.

I doubt we will see 30 story towers outside of the downtown, as there would have to be a major change in zoning bylaws for that to happen. I don't see Saskatoon heading in that direction.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 4:55 PM

Sears is done!

Hot off the press:

Quote:
Sears Canada to Seek Court Approval for Liquidation

TORONTO, Oct. 10, 2017 /CNW/ - Sears Canada Inc. ("Sears Canada", or the "Company") today announced that it and certain of its subsidiaries (the "Sears Canada Group") will be applying to the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List) (the "Court") for approval to liquidate all of its remaining stores and assets. It is expected the Court will hear the motion on October 13, 2017. Pending approval of the Court, it is expected that liquidation sales at retail locations would commence no earlier than October 19 and continue for 10 to 14 weeks. Further details regarding the liquidation will be communicated in due course.
Full news release.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
No argument here - they should be able to build as high as they like in the downtown. My point is that I would prefer to see shorter shorter buildings if that means construction will begin sooner on vacant lots, such as those on the corner of 20th and 2nd, as I value street-level development ahead of tall, glass and steel monuments.

I doubt we will see 30 story towers outside of the downtown, as there would have to be a major change in zoning bylaws for that to happen. I don't see Saskatoon heading in that direction.
i wouldnt want to see 30 storeys outside the core. what market mall has 10-15 is good enough for areas like that. i can see 8th st/college and 22nd in the far future building a couple 4-8(at most) low rises for street level.

id personally like to see development around 1st ave/wall st and the bus depot is. i find that area dead and needs some life to it. the core is coming along at a decent pace, but id love for them to start developing north downtown more.

i wonder when warman/martensville will start go get bigger projects like maybe a 8 storey low rise or 10 storey apt tower? i know they arent big cities, but sooner or later right

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 1:51 PM
Trucks for pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
i wonder when warman/martensville will start go get bigger projects like maybe a 8 storey low rise or 10 storey apt tower? i know they arent big cities, but sooner or later right
I'd be surprised if that happened anytime soon. There doesn't seem to be lots of interest in condo living.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:06 PM

Scarce resources hindering U of S architecture program launch

Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: October 10, 2017 | Last Updated: October 10, 2017 4:49 PM CST

Quote:
Plans to establish a school of architecture at the University of Saskatchewan suffered a setback this month when a university committee said that while it likes the proposed curriculum, it cannot recommend approving it until sufficient funding is secured.

“Concerns were raised about resourcing for the proposed programs, particularly given the financial situation the U of S finds itself in currently,” the Academic Programs Committee said in a report to the university’s 116-member council, which oversees academic issues.

The school would offer two degrees, a bachelor of design in architecture and a master of architecture; it would have 11 faculty members and cost “just over” $3 million per year to run, plus significant startup costs, according to the report.

The university has been planning to introduce the programs since 2010, when the City of Saskatoon donated the 108-year-old John Deere Plow Co. building to the institution for that purpose. The report said building renovations would add to the startup costs.

“I’m generally optimistic,” Colin Ripley, the program director hired to move the project forward, told the Saskatoon StarPhoenix in February. “The (John Deere building) needs to be essentially gutted and completely renovated for that to happen.”

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...program-launch

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:35 PM

So it's officially been 6 months since the announcement of 400 health region head office jobs being created in Saskatoon. Has anyone heard where those jobs will be (crossing fingers for downtown). http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...n-hq-1.4104568

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 5:48 PM

I would imagine that the days are numbered for Chili’s. They are shuttering all Alberta locations minus the airport locations and Banff. The one in Regina has been closed for a while.

Ours is pretty busy but I don’t think that matters when they have four locations in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 2:23 PM

They finally started talking about new library or maybe not, pretty undecided right now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...osal-1.4355322

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:01 PM

Renovations are underway at the former Atch & Co. building on 21st Street. I went past the other week and the main floor was gutted and it looked/sounded like the upper floors were a hive of activity too. Nice to see that building being rejuvenated. With the new Taverna across the street and the City's streetscape improvements, that block is getting freshened up.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:07 PM

so are there any rumours as to what might be going in there?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:36 PM

Maybe Atch has downsized the vision for the World Trade Centre a wee bit.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Maybe Atch has downsized the vision for the World Trade Centre a wee bit.
wouldnt shock me lol.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 9:49 PM

Saw signage has gone up on top of hotel complex on College Drive by Griffith's Stadium...Holiday Inn Express on one side and Staybridge Suites on the other.

It actually has turned out better then I anticipated. The actual construction looks very much like the rendering on the Staybridge University website:

https://www.ihg.com/staybridge/hotel...sb/hoteldetail

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Saw signage has gone up on top of hotel complex on College Drive by Griffith's Stadium...Holiday Inn Express on one side and Staybridge Suites on the other.

It actually has turned out better then I anticipated. The actual construction looks very much like the rendering on the Staybridge University website:

https://www.ihg.com/staybridge/hotel...sb/hoteldetail
I like the perception of randomness in the window placement in the new hotel, however, I really would've liked to have seen some colour in the EIFS finish. Just a little too bland for my taste.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:19 AM

The lots along 25th st and 5th ave downtown has a for sale sign that went up today. Potential development one day i hope

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 4:31 PM

I see that the 7-storey condo proposed by Meridian on University Drive is starting to move through city approvals.

Source

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 6:08 PM

Looks like a fair bit of opposition, probably same people who restricted the Lux project. Everyone likes infill as long as it is not next to them. Some of those so called character homes in Nutana should be torn down, but because its Nutana they aren't, if it was Riverdale well !!!, like to know what Randy has to say.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan