HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 12:37 PM
BANNED

^ It's a good project and a sign of good things happening in Morningside. I provided technical assistance and quality assurance on the energy-related design and operational aspects of the project.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 12:40 PM

Pittsburgh, the Vegas of Appalachia?

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...residency.html

Quote:
A comedian/magician who has toured nationally is coming back home to establish a residency at a local hotel. Lee Terbosic will begin a residency at the Hotel Monaco for two 75-minute shows Fridays and Saturdays beginning in October, according to the management. The show, called "52 Up Close," focuses on what can be done with 52 cards and magic — and there will only be 52 seats available for each show.
http://www.52upclose.com/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
I provided technical assistance and quality assurance on the energy-related design and operational aspects of the project.
Cool! The usual suspects are complaining about the per-unit cost in the PG comments as compared to available old houses, but such people overlook the fact that a lot of old house are so cheap because they have depreciated for good reasons, including lots of deferred maintenance and also a lot of energy inefficiency. And the investment in high-energy efficiency design will very likely pay for itself over the lifetime of the units.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:48 PM

I live in Morningside, and when I get to that side of the neighborhood (I live way on the southern end) I try and take some time to observe the demolition. I'm mildly let down that the original plans to have some commercial space on Greenwood seem to have fallen to the wayside, but honestly the neighborhood has lots of vacant commercial buildings right now, and probably doesn't need any new commercial space.

The city's planning website is still kind of a mess, but I did find a September 7th zoning report. The biggest item is October Real Estate proposing three infill houses here on Middle Street, along with an other infill house on additional vacant lot just around the corner on Foreland Street. There's also a proposed infill house in Central Lawrenceville.

In addition, I noticed recently that building permits have now gone out for the Station Square apartment buildings. I don't get over there much - is there any sign of site prep yet?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In addition, I noticed recently that building permits have now gone out for the Station Square apartment buildings. I don't get over there much - is there any sign of site prep yet?
Doesn't look like it...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I walk through the spot it landed all the time, so it was definitely a little shocking. If they violated an ordinance, obviously I would hope there is a significant penalty.
We don't know if they violated any ordinances yet, but building owners are supposed to have an inspection of their building's façade including "CORNICES, belt courses, corbels, terra cotta trim, wall facings and similar decorative features..." resulting in an engineer's or architect's report created from that inspection. And this is supposed to happen every 5 years. So the building owner is supposed to have an inspection report, but the ordinance doesn't say that it has to be sent to the City. So it's basically happening on the honor system now. Most cities such as Chicago and New York require the façade report to be submitted to the city to verify that the inspection has been completed. I don't believe that it is happening here. We'll see if this one incident changes that. Based on comments here, it could be something that blows over quickly...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:01 AM

"F.N.B. confirms its commitment to keep its headquarters in Pittsburgh after acknowledging a building proposal it was set to anchor downtown wasn't chosen for development."

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...burgh-but.html

Interesting a major project had a committed anchor tenant, yet was cancelled anyway. I assume this was the tower at the Frank and Sedar location?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 12:09 PM

The permits for the Station Square apartments have "gone out" as in been applied for, but none have been approved by the City of Pittsburgh Department of PLI (Permits, Licences, and Inspections). There are six permits associated with that site and five are in the status of "plan check pending" and one is in the status of "Revisions requested" This one appears to be held up by some typical bureaucratic delays.

Last edited by Gilamonster; Aug 25, 2017 at 12:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
"F.N.B. confirms its commitment to keep its headquarters in Pittsburgh after acknowledging a building proposal it was set to anchor downtown wasn't chosen for development."

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...burgh-but.html

Interesting a major project had a committed anchor tenant, yet was cancelled anyway. I assume this was the tower at the Frank and Sedar location?
The full article indicates that it was Oxford's proposal for the 9th & Penn/Parking Authority site, which included an office tower (250,000 sf) that would have featured FNB as the anchor tenant. The headline isn't wrong, but when I first read it my reaction was different than when I read the actual article; it's not that someone decided to not build an office building that already had an anchor, it was just that a different proposal/use was selected for the site. The Davis Companies' residential/restaurant/retail proposal seems to be a better use of the Cultural District location, in my personal opinion.

Hopefully their interest in downtown will lead to something, though.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 6:09 PM

Does anyone know the status of the restaurant project that was proposed for Lawrenceville over a year ago?

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...estaurant.html

Going here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4718...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billholdings View Post
Does anyone know the status of the restaurant project that was proposed for Lawrenceville over a year ago?

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...estaurant.html

Going here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4718...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
Zoning hearings related to it have been continued for several months now. I think NIMBYs are somewhat in opposition.

Honestly, I think it might be a good thing if the project is defeated now. With the used car sale place relocated, the parcel (which is 2/3rds of a block long) would probably be snapped up for another one of those mini-apartment complexes with first-floor retail, which would be a higher and better use than a single barbecue joint.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 7:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Zoning hearings related to it have been continued for several months now. I think NIMBYs are somewhat in opposition.

Honestly, I think it might be a good thing if the project is defeated now. With the used car sale place relocated, the parcel (which is 2/3rds of a block long) would probably be snapped up for another one of those mini-apartment complexes with first-floor retail, which would be a higher and better use than a single barbecue joint.
I'd much rather have a cool restaurant with a large outdoor seating area and place for live music, as is proposed with Morgans (and common for bbq places I've been to in TX and NC), than yet another crappily-designed Lawrenceville apartment complex. I don't find that to be a higher or better use for the parcel.

http://www.lunited.org/update-on-mor...butler-street/

http://www.lunited.org/wp-content/up...-8-172-1-3.pdf

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 2:57 PM
BANNED

The title of the piece below should be called "Reducing the Pittsburgh stink". Though the Mon Valley is a major source for the nasty rotten egg smell, the odor certainly doesn't stay down there.

Call it for what it is and get the point across. Quit blaming the Mon Valley. It's part of the region. It doesn't matter where the pollution and odors come from... the air is foul in Pittsburgh from Hazelwood to Highland Park on many a morning.

I definitely do not miss waking up to that sulfury-sweet stink in spring, summer, and fall when we'd keep the windows open overnight. And how the house would subsequently retain a hint of that foul odor inside until afternoon.

Reducing the Mon Valley "stink"

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/env...s/201708250214

The Pittsburgh region too often still has an oily, sulfuric, industrial “stink,” and tougher regulation is needed to reign in the unhealthy malodors, said Mark Dixon, who testified at an Allegheny County Health Department hearing last week on permit changes at coke and steel making facilities in the Mon Valley.

Mr. Dixon, a Squirrel Hill resident and independent environmental filmmaker, said the proposed permit adjustments at U.S. Steel’s Clairton Coke Works, its Irvin Works in West Mifflin and its Edgar Thomson Works and Braddock Recovery Inc. in Braddock don’t go far enough, fast enough.

Mr. Dixon said the malodorous days are linked closely to the region’s numerous weather inversions, which trap industrial emissions in low-lying areas along the region’s rivers, and he called out the steelmaker and the health department for not doing more to prevent the smelly, unhealthy industrial pollution.

He was particularly critical of the steelmaker’s plans to construct a 230-foot tall emissions stack at the Edgar Thomson Works, which he said was too short to break through the inversions — commonly at an altitude of 300 feet — and disperse sulfur dioxide and volatile organic compounds.

“We can no longer tolerate half-measures,” Mr. Dixon said. “It’s well past time to bring Pittsburgh into the 21st century. We can and must use innovative industrial approaches to eliminate the stench in this great city once and for all.”

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 4:56 PM

Non-passengers will soon be able to get access to the airside mall at PIT:

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/tra...s/201708280087

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...access-to.html

They'll have to show ID and get a pass to go through security, but won't need a ticket.

That is obviously good news for airport revenues, and I also wonder if it will become a backdoor way of being able to meet arriving people at their gates.

Last edited by BrianTH; Aug 28, 2017 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 10:52 AM

2 Notes from Downtown:
- The siding has finally started to go up on the Holiday Inn under construction on 2nd Ave. I think it is a horrible color and looks like some really cheap material. I'd be curious to hear other opinions on here from anyone who has seen it.
-Sally's Beauty Supply has vacated from the corner of Wood and Sixth Ave. A while ago, there were plans for a boutique hotel to go in that building. Hopefully that is still on course or at least some type of redevelopment.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 11:20 AM

Some details about Crow Hill's plans for their three Heinz complex buildings in this article about their request for tax abatements:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201708300084

Quote:
In summaries provided to county council, Crow Hill would turn the former Heinz research building, the administration building and the administration annex totaling 250,000 square feet in all into 133 apartments. Forty of the units would be affordable “with artist preference.” There also would be community studio space for tenants.
Likewise, the administration building would house additional studios and work space for local arts organizations.

Crow Hill acquired the former Heinz research building in September. At the time, it said it planned to restore the historic public lobbies of that building and the others. According to the council-provided summaries, the lobbies will serve as public space for events and arts programming. The developer also plans 138 integral parking spaces as well as improvements to the surrounding roads and new transportation amenities “that will serve building residents and other pedestrians using the existing Three Rivers Heritage Trail” along the Allegheny River. “The project will preserve the buildings’ historic character, returning these symbols of one of Pittsburgh’s iconic companies to life,” the council summary stated.
Sounds great!

Last edited by BrianTH; Aug 30, 2017 at 1:53 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 2:58 PM

By the way, the Research Building tends to get most of the attention, because it is a somewhat famous example of mid-century architecture, with a prominent riverfront location:

But the 1907 Administration Building is potentially pretty interesting too, albeit buried in the middle of the complex at this point. Here it is (unfortunately) losing its cornice in the 1950s:

The associated description is pretty cool:

Quote:
The Administration Building in the H.J. Heinz Plant in Pittsburgh’s North Side neighborhood housed the five-story rotunda and auditorium. The stained-glass windows along the staircase of the building, designed and fabricated by the Rudy Brothers, were all inscribed with Mr. H.J. Heinz’s inspirational mottoes exhorting employees to be prudent, loyal, temperate, earnest and hardworking. The rotunda had a series of ten wall murals painted by Edward Trumbull that depict scenes in countries that produced or distributed Heinz products.
Being cleaned in 1958. Looks like they also simplified the column caps--such a shame they tried to change a nice ornate 1907 building into more of a then-modern building:

Here are some pictures of the rotunda from 1957:

More description:

Quote:
Between 1890 and 1898 the H. J. Heinz Company built 17 Romanesque buildings on the North Side of Pittsburgh for its production facilities. At the center of these buildings was the Administration Building with its rotunda as seen in the photograph. Around the room were ten murals painted by Edward Trumbull. They depicted the small brick house where H. J. Heinz began operations and countries where ingredients for Heinz products were grown and distributed. The last mural is symbolic, showing farmers from the United States and overseas bringing “The Fruit of the World” to the main Heinz plant, which is in the background.
I wonder if any of that is left, and generally what they might be planning to do during its restoration.

Last edited by BrianTH; Aug 30, 2017 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 7:30 PM

Christina Cassotis, CEO of PIT, has been named airport director of the year in the medium-sized airport category by Airport Revenue News:

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...or-of-the.html

No arguments here--she is doing a great job.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 8:26 PM

Report: Pittsburgh has one of nation's tightest apartment markets

From the PBT. Clearly all of the recent apartment development has not nearly saturated the apartment market. The report states that the metro is projected to add about 10,000 apartment units over the next 12 years, but that will be a shortage of 9,000 from the 19,000 units needed by that time.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...228&j=78764271

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave View Post
From the PBT. Clearly all of the recent apartment development has not nearly saturated the apartment market. The report states that the metro is projected to add about 10,000 apartment units over the next 12 years, but that will be a shortage of 9,000 from the 19,000 units needed by that time.
If you dig into the underlying report, basically what they are pointing out is changing demographics, socioeconomic factors, trends, and so on is going to create demand for new apartments that goes well beyond population growth. I'm actually not sure I fully understand what they are saying is going to happen in Pittsburgh, and this is from an apartment association so might be somewhat biased, but generally that concept seems right to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations