HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 6:05 PM
New Brunswick booster!

How about Sunday service? Consultation coming on Fredericton transit service

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...nday-1.4490334

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:16 PM

So third hand rumour. It looks like the rumour from a long time ago that Cineplex wanted to move into Sears may be slightly more solid.

On the Freddy Daily News thread talking about the Transit survey, someone just dropped this:

With respect to Transit using the Sears area as a new Transit hub at Regent mall:
Quote:
They can't do that. The theaters will be using Sears once they move in.
and further clarification:
Quote:
Security got briefed about it last month. Unless the mall finds someone who will pay more or something unexpected happens, Cineplex seems to desire the property

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
So third hand rumour. It looks like the rumour from a long time ago that Cineplex wanted to move into Sears may be slightly more solid.

On the Freddy Daily News thread talking about the Transit survey, someone just dropped this:

With respect to Transit using the Sears area as a new Transit hub at Regent mall:

and further clarification:
Funny a I was chatting with a colleague during xmas who happened to mention similar. Strange that this rumour won't die.

Still doesn't make sense considering that the Showtime folks traditionally have wanted their own stand-alone building

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:22 PM

That's a huge amount of space for even a multiplex theatre. By footprint alone, a 200% increase in space. Will any of the Sears area become something else or might they cut back the exterior for more parking?

Also, what happens to the Sears parking lot? It's rarely full currently, the outer portion is basically dirt and it's a huge pedestrian hazard. This becomes important when an anchor tenant moves in that will actually attract customers.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:37 PM

Well the story with the most traction is the mall is going to subdivide Sears into 1 inside and 2 outside locations.

As you said, the given space is way more than big enough for Cineplex, so I would hazard a guess that one of the outside access tenants will be the theatre.

That gives Cineplex a pseudo-independent location, so they'll be isolate from the food court. It gives them the chance to build a flashy entrance seeable from the highway. And the mall gets a tenant facing the highway that will make the mall look busy. I think they would have about as much parking as they do now, but it won't be on a slope at least. I'm sure repaving/remarking the parking lot will be in the works with the update to that end of the mall.

Ideally, Freddy Transit would look to move their stop/hub to that end of the mall too, but I'm not sure how that would work for the routes and timings and accessibility.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Well the story with the most traction is the mall is going to subdivide Sears into 1 inside and 2 outside locations.

As you said, the given space is way more than big enough for Cineplex, so I would hazard a guess that one of the outside access tenants will be the theatre.

That gives Cineplex a pseudo-independent location, so they'll be isolate from the food court. It gives them the chance to build a flashy entrance seeable from the highway. And the mall gets a tenant facing the highway that will make the mall look busy. I think they would have about as much parking as they do now, but it won't be on a slope at least. I'm sure repaving/remarking the parking lot will be in the works with the update to that end of the mall.

Ideally, Freddy Transit would look to move their stop/hub to that end of the mall too, but I'm not sure how that would work for the routes and timings and accessibility.
If that is the case then keep in mind that the current theatre space would be repurposed by the mall. If so then we end up with a new theatre plus additional mall space inside the repurposed theatre

Last edited by Freddypop; Jan 19, 2018 at 3:27 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 5:53 PM

The Donut Bar just announced on FB that they're opening on Saturday at 346 Queen. Jokes about a donut place directly across from the Police station immediately followed.

Pretty excited about that. We don't exactly have an overabundance of quality donuts.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
The Donut Bar just announced on FB that they're opening on Saturday at 346 Queen. Jokes about a donut place directly across from the Police station immediately followed.

Pretty excited about that. We don't exactly have an overabundance of quality donuts.
This is something I noticed after moving here. Every little town out west has a bakery, and QUALITY donuts. A town the size of Fredericton would have a fiercely competitive donut market. Most local bakeries (Happy baker, monkey cakes, and coffee mill are the main ones I visit) either have no donuts or limited numbers. I was dreaming of a crispy cream but would prefer a local shop to corner this marker.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 10:00 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I will absolutely be dropping in! Love donuts!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:32 PM

Noticed by the downtown alcohol store that they have cleared a lot beside it and have a couple of cranes parked there. Does anyone know what is happening. Are they using it for storage or is something going on there?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeple Shanks View Post
Noticed by the downtown alcohol store that they have cleared a lot beside it and have a couple of cranes parked there. Does anyone know what is happening. Are they using it for storage or is something going on there?
Upgrades to the NBLC outlet there. Giving it a corporate makeover to fit in with their new image

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeple Shanks View Post
Not sure. The FB group seems to be saying that NBPower is setting up a new/moving a new power substation in the area. A huge move happening tonight/tomorrow. At least that seemed the more likely story.

Also from that group, there's a rumour that Sephoria is moving into Regent mall. Supposedly into the Bluenotes spot (and probably the Teavana spot too, I could see them taking the full corner.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Not sure. The FB group seems to be saying that NBPower is setting up a new/moving a new power substation in the area. A huge move happening tonight/tomorrow. At least that seemed the more likely story.

Also from that group, there's a rumour that Sephoria is moving into Regent mall. Supposedly into the Bluenotes spot (and probably the Teavana spot too, I could see them taking the full corner.
I was told by the NBLC Manager that renovations were to start and that was why the equipment was gathering. I wonder if both are happening at same time? Time will tell.

Last edited by Freddypop; Jan 21, 2018 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
I was told by the NBLC Manager that renovations were to start and that was why the equipment was gathering. I wonder if both are happening at same time? Time will tell.
Just walked by, the cranes are being used at the NB power site for the power plant expansion.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:19 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Huddle is reporting that the office tower at Carleton and Brunswick is a go, with an unnamed major tenant secured and an "international coffee brand" on the ground floor:

http://huddle.today/developer-secure...-office-tower/
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 7:58 PM

So 50% leased which is good Wonder who the major tenant is? I am assuming that the coffee brand will be Starbucks considering that they have been looking for a downtown location for awhile

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:55 AM

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:20 PM

Cool

Quote:
Sounds like they have specific stores in mind to fill the space. Any word on who/what specifically?
Well... I know it's not a Young Army...
At least that's what my source indicated.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Good looking plan.

Can't wait to see the uproar about the displaced parking.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Good looking plan.

Can't wait to see the uproar about the displaced parking.
I was going to say what displaced parking, but looking at the current layout, I see that there will be about 50 slots lost, along with the tail end of Carleton Street (at least according to the map google has).

I'm sure some will complain, but the overall plan looks great, and the parking loss is fairly minimal; we're going to lose a hell of a lot more parking when they take out the Clover leafs and rebuild Campbell Street.

And in other news, not unexpectedly, Freddy Council approves the Playhouse Rebuild plans.

I'm still a bit disappointed with the decision; it feels penny-wise/pound foolish; but it is what it is. Hopefully we can find another suitable anchor for the old Justice building area once they move.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces