HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
But, then you'd have to fly on Allegiant.
Yeah thats kinda my feeling. If the over-all saving was $100 it honestly wouldnt be enough to make me drive down to the US where Im paying gas, parking etc. And then having to drive home tired (always tired after Vegas). I dont drive over the border often but I find customs at the airport a quicker process than at the land border too.

Plus, going with the airline I know. I certainly dont begrudge people saving a few bucks. When I go on vacation, I generally dont sweat the money.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 11:38 PM

Canadian had a direct flight to HNL in the 90s. I believe it stopped in YEG.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Am I misremembering or were there directs flights to Hawaii from Winnipeg many years ago - perhaps back in the early 80s? I’m guessing these were likely charters? Dose anyone remember this?
Wardair used to fly non-stop to Honolulu.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Yeah thats kinda my feeling. If the over-all saving was $100 it honestly wouldnt be enough to make me drive down to the US where Im paying gas, parking etc. And then having to drive home tired (always tired after Vegas). I dont drive over the border often but I find customs at the airport a quicker process than at the land border too.

Plus, going with the airline I know. I certainly dont begrudge people saving a few bucks. When I go on vacation, I generally dont sweat the money.
Flew GFK to Vegas on Allegiant last year for a bachelor party. Lots of the guys wanted to save the money. It was about $125 cheaper to fly out of Grand Forks... IMO it wasn't worth it at all. Sure the way down wasn't too bad, leaving Vegas the flights are at like 6:30 am, then you have to drive home after.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Flew GFK to Vegas on Allegiant last year for a bachelor party. Lots of the guys wanted to save the money. It was about $125 cheaper to fly out of Grand Forks... IMO it wasn't worth it at all. Sure the way down wasn't too bad, leaving Vegas the flights are at like 6:30 am, then you have to drive home after.
Historically, I've always managed to get the late night direct from Vegas to Winnipeg. Gives you that extra day in Vegas and its nice to land and go home to bed. I dont mind connections on the way down. I'd HATE leaving Vegas at 6:30 am...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
If the savings are $125 and you're only buying a ticket for one person, then no, it's definitely not worth it. But if you're booking for two or more persons and the savings per person are $200 or more, then it definitely is worth it.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If the savings are $125 and you're only buying a ticket for one person, then no, it's definitely not worth it. But if you're booking for two or more persons and the savings per person are $200 or more, then it definitely is worth it.
True. The only people I know who regularly use Allegiant are those with condos in Phoenix who fly their whole families down there. When you're looking at 4 or 5 people, it adds up and the proposition becomes a little more compelling.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
True. The only people I know who regularly use Allegiant are those with condos in Phoenix who fly their whole families down there. When you're looking at 4 or 5 people, it adds up and the proposition becomes a little more compelling.
That is a huge piece of the value right there. Having a permanent place in someplace like Phoenix means your clothes, golf clubs, etc are already going to be there so you aren't paying the Allegiant up charge for the larger carry on back and the cost of the checked bag. You just have your purse/laptop bag as luggage.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 4:54 AM

Most people I know that have second homes in AZ drive there because you can't get anywhere in AZ without a car. Like... anywhere.

I know some snowbirds that will fly back home for holidays or some events they need to attend – but then they're flying to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 5:19 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Some drive, some leave a car there, some do both.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 6:03 PM

^ Everyone I know with a place down there has a car there. Some drive down there in the fall, leave a car there, and fly back and forth over the winter. It would seem difficult to say the least not to have a car in Phoenix.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 3:06 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Everyone I know with a place down there has a car there. Some drive down there in the fall, leave a car there, and fly back and forth over the winter. It would seem difficult to say the least not to have a car in Phoenix.
Quite impossible. Everything is far but the roads are terrific.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 8:38 PM

Interesting. Swoop just announced today that they will be flying YWG-YEG 4x weekly starting in October.

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/201...this-fall.html]

I wonder if AC will add rouge or mainline on the YEG-YWG route since Flair, Westjet and now Swoop are all flying with 737's

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 8:44 PM

It's weird how YWG-YEG lurches from tons of seats to very few seats and back again. I remember in the early 2000s there were loads of flights with AC and WS in the mix along with Tango and Zip... there might have even been others, like Jetsgo or Canada 3000? Then it contracted to hardly anything seemingly overnight, on AC that route went from 737/319s to tiny regional jets overnight. And now it's going back to the way it was in the early 2000s.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 9:24 PM

winnipegger dies, arrives in heaven, looks around:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Everything is far but the roads are terrific.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 9:33 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

Awesome.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 12:54 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Kind of like where I live now. It is an absolute pleasure to drive anywhere.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 12:44 AM
ILYR

WINNIPEG, Manitoba – October 31, 2018 – The third quarter of 2018 continued to be strong for Winnipeg Airports Authority (WAA).

A strong September, coupled with a record-setting summer, saw passenger totals increase by 5.1 percent compared to the third quarter of the previous year. During July, August, and September of 2018, 1,272,672 passengers travelled through Winnipeg Richardson International Airport.

September was busy at the airport, seeing an 8.6 percent increase over last year.

https://www.waa.ca/media/news/articl...uarter-for-waa

This puts the total so far for this year at 3400568 and on pace for 4.5 million for the year. Another record!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 4:12 AM
BANNED

Great news. Let's keep that growth going!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan