HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
I'm pretty sure it took a lot longer than the dates quoted in the article. Didn't the northeast quadrant only open in the late 70s?
1979: https://www.reginabypass.ca/project/history/

The last major new project was the Assiniboine Ave flyover, 1984

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
I'm pretty sure it took a lot longer than the dates quoted in the article. Didn't the northeast quadrant only open in the late 70s?
I want to say '74, but I'd need to look at old city maps to be sure of the timeline.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 3:17 PM

I see that they have paved the highway at the Highway 6 Overpass. Does that mean the bridge over Wascana Creek (west of Highway 33) is complete and they'll be opening that section soon? Or are they waiting for Pinkie Road / TCH interchange to be done,
The website is short on these sort of details.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I see that they have paved the highway at the Highway 6 Overpass. Does that mean the bridge over Wascana Creek (west of Highway 33) is complete and they'll be opening that section soon? Or are they waiting for Pinkie Road / TCH interchange to be done,
The website is short on these sort of details.
I would say the chance exists for the opening of the bypass to highway 6 and beyond at the end of October this year. However they may hold off. The wascana bridge southeast was at or near the same stage of construction as highway 33 overpass. The section from north of Dewdney to highway 11 is nowhere near as complete and will like by the unoffial final "stage 3" opening. But like I say highway 33 to Rotary avenue may be open fully or partially by October November this year.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I would say the chance exists for the opening of the bypass to highway 6 and beyond at the end of October this year. However they may hold off. The wascana bridge southeast was at or near the same stage of construction as highway 33 overpass. The section from north of Dewdney to highway 11 is nowhere near as complete and will like by the unoffial final "stage 3" opening. But like I say highway 33 to Rotary avenue may be open fully or partially by October November this year.
I don't see this happening as the consortium would have to maintain it as well. Why would they want to do that if it is not required by their contract?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I don't see this happening as the consortium would have to maintain it as well. Why would they want to do that if it is not required by their contract?
After talking with the engineers in charge of the project they want to get that section done and believed it should been a 3 stage from the start. Which is why Rotary avenue is near done. It may not be substantially complete but useable as a functional bypass. Leaving them more time to finish the details.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 10:56 PM

I think this link pretty much says it all. Really nothing is opening in 2018. Even the Highway 11 interchange will be done but will not opened. I sure hope they remove the speed zone on 11 this year.

https://www.reginabypass.ca/project/project-schedule/

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 3:38 AM

Crews are working and paving Hill Avenue overpass last two nights... getting close to opening me thinks.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:23 PM

West Regina Bypass is fully open from TCH to Rotary Avenue. Including the Hill Avenue interchange. Dewdney close to close soon for a month or so.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 9:42 PM

Quote:
I think this link pretty much says it all. Really nothing is opening in 2018. Even the Highway 11 interchange will be done but will not opened. I sure hope they remove the speed zone on 11 this year.

https://www.reginabypass.ca/project/project-schedule/
Well it would appear that some of it is opening ahead of schedule. I would suggest that this means complete. Open now in some capacity.

Hill Ave
Rotary
Main lanes from GTH to TCH

Soon:

Dewdney

I would suspect that a lot of the roadways maybe be open to 60-80km traffic by end of October. And if they have the base done by then and let it sit over winter they can pave and have open north of Dewdney by late may early June 2019. Then just work at the final touches like lighting and guard rails etc.

I would say we are closer to functional than the schedule would suggest.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Well it would appear that some of it is opening ahead of schedule. I would suggest that this means complete. Open now in some capacity.

Hill Ave
Rotary
Main lanes from GTH to TCH

Soon:

Dewdney

I would suspect that a lot of the roadways maybe be open to 60-80km traffic by end of October. And if they have the base done by then and let it sit over winter they can pave and have open north of Dewdney by late may early June 2019. Then just work at the final touches like lighting and guard rails etc.

I would say we are closer to functional than the schedule would suggest.
They did not have a separate timeline for Main lanes from GTH to TCH, but yes. Will the Hill Ave and Rotary/Dewdney interchanges be fully open or are their part that will wait.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
They did not have a separate timeline for Main lanes from GTH to TCH, but yes. Will the Hill Ave and Rotary/Dewdney interchanges be fully open or are their part that will wait.
I believe Hill will remain open, and the loop NB-WB and ramp EB-SB at Rotary will remain open. Dewdney will be open for through traffic without entry onto the Bypass. I expect highway 6 will be open 4 lanes. And that 9th North will be open to through traffic with no access to bypass.

The wild cards are for me:

Highway 33 to TCH being open, along with highway 6 overpass. I think it possible that the the EB-NB ramp at Pinky and the TCH could be open, but doubt that NB-WB will be yet. So some detour there (either up to hill and turn around or off at 6 north to Ring Road and out) either way would get trucks off Victoria Ave and onto freeway roads.

Excited to see what November 1st brings for travel.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:34 AM

Quote:
I believe Hill will remain open, and the loop NB-WB and ramp EB-SB at Rotary will remain open. Dewdney will be open for through traffic without entry onto the Bypass. I expect highway 6 will be open 4 lanes. And that 9th North will be open to through traffic with no access to bypass.

The wild cards are for me:

Highway 33 to TCH being open, along with highway 6 overpass. I think it possible that the the EB-NB ramp at Pinky and the TCH could be open, but doubt that NB-WB will be yet. So some detour there (either up to hill and turn around or off at 6 north to Ring Road and out) either way would get trucks off Victoria Ave and onto freeway roads.

Excited to see what November 1st brings for travel.
#6 is going to be interesting. Traffic was sent over to the new West lanes awhile ago so that they could finish the east bridge that they opened last year to get the traffic off of the detour before winter. They have to rebuild and repave the east lanes of #6 now. They also haven't 100% completed the area about a half mile south of RMP where the lanes shift slightly and new road meets old road.

The Broda service yard beside the South asphalt plant is supposed to be coming down within the next month.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 9:14 PM

Paving crews are paving the Main Line of the Bypass over highway 33 today... looking good for an early opening of the South section. Albeit maybe only at 80km/h...

Also the shoring for the bridge deck is coming off at 9th Ave North overpass!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Paving crews are paving the Main Line of the Bypass over highway 33 today... looking good for an early opening of the South section. Albeit maybe only at 80km/h...

Also the shoring for the bridge deck is coming off at 9th Ave North overpass!
I won't believe it until I see it. Who is going to pay them to maintain it?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
I won't believe it until I see it. Who is going to pay them to maintain it?
If it is open but still not complete they can't claim substantial. So it would be them to maintain it. Similar to all the other roads that were / are open before substantial completion of Phase 2.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
If it is open but still not complete they can't claim substantial. So it would be them to maintain it. Similar to all the other roads that were / are open before substantial completion of Phase 2.
My point is they have to do maintenance, including expensive winter maintenance for 30 years even after substantial completion. Why would they do that before the contract requires them to?

I assume on the other roads, they had special arrangements with MHI for partial opening and compensation for maintenance.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
My point is they have to do maintenance, including expensive winter maintenance for 30 years even after substantial completion. Why would they do that before the contract requires them to?

I assume on the other roads, they had special arrangements with MHI for partial opening and compensation for maintenance.
Agreed; from what I understand the Engineers and Project managers were pressing MHI to open this stretch sooner than the schedule would suggest. The work visible as of now suggests that they may have succeeded in their efforts. I would no doubt expect that a Change Order to the contract may have been issued to expedite and provide acceptable compensation.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 1:37 AM

Quote:

How is the contract written? Does the Ministry take over on a specific date? Or is it 30 years after substantial completion? If it's a 30 year maintenance period, regardless of start date, then it's in their best interest to open the road as early as they can.

It's also possible that there's some kind of 'early completion' clause

They opened the interchanges in phase 1 early, so there must be some benefit to them to finish early

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 8:07 PM

Interesting the giant knew sign on Highway 11 north of the new interchange says to turn right to "Regina" onto the WRB. A lot of people will get lost if they don't have more signs telling people to continue straight for Pasqua, Albert and the Ring Road. There is a sign further south just before the interchange that says City Centre is straight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan