HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 2:47 AM
Registered

Here is a quote from Arenasolution.org's Brian Robinson, who has been working with the local business and civic community:

Lets talk about what is at stake though. The buzzwords I am hearing at city hall are “largest sports and entertainment complex in the united states” and “destination city”

I have not confirmed this but I am told that if these three stadiums were to be all built together within the Sodo district we would be the only city to have all of them, that close, walking district, in one neighborhood. We would also likely do this at the same time nightlife hours are extended to create a real and dramatic nightlife and entertainment culture in the city. Corporate recruiters are thrilled. They see the real value of having a city that would draw talent on a national level to an even greater degree than it does today. It would allow an experience where the top national talent that are not necessarily nature lovers could be drawn from cities like Chicago much more competitively.

Last edited by Fiat Lux; Feb 26, 2012 at 3:34 AM. Reason: add bolding to text

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 2:56 AM
BANNED

Who runs the public skating rinks and arenas in the city of Seattle? It's obviously not the Seattle Parks and Rec dept., as there is no mention of ice skating on their website from what I can see.

Anyway, it looks like the Hornets and Kings are staying put, so Seattle likely won't get an NBA team in the forseeable future.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 3:24 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
Who runs the public skating rinks and arenas in the city of Seattle? It's obviously not the Seattle Parks and Rec dept., as there is no mention of ice skating on their website from what I can see.
Most in the area are private, though there are some exceptions like Sprinker in Spanaway.

Here is where the ice sheets in the Seattle area are:

Everett - 2 (including Comcast Arena)
Lynnwood - 1
Mountlake Terrace - 1
Shoreline - 2
Kirkland - 1
Renton - 2
Kent - 2 (including Showare Center)
Tacoma - 1
Spanaway - 1

Quote:
Anyway, it looks like the Hornets and Kings are staying put, so Seattle likely won't get an NBA team in the forseeable future.
Just because Sacramento is only a gold pooping unicorn away from resolving their arena situation doesn't mean they will find one. New Orleans needs three of them.

My guess is Seattle gets the Hornets and an NHL expansion franchise.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 3:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat Lux View Post
Most in the area are private, though there are some exceptions like Sprinker in Spanaway.

Here is where the ice sheets in the Seattle area are:

Everett - 2 (including Comcast Arena)
Lynnwood - 1
Mountlake Terrace - 1
Shoreline - 2
Kirkland - 1
Renton - 2
Kent - 2 (including Showare Center)
Tacoma - 1
Spanaway - 1
I was asking about the public arenas in the city proper, not in the suburbs. Who runs them?

Never heard the term "ice sheets" before either.

Quote:
My guess is Seattle gets the Hornets and an NHL expansion franchise.
The NHL won't be expanding for many, many years.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 3:45 AM
Registered

Quote:
I was asking about the public arenas in the city proper, not in the suburbs. Who runs them?
I gave you a list of the ice skating rinks, none in Seattle proper. For arenas in Seattle proper there is Key Arena, city of Seattle, and also Hec Ed. at UW, but it only seats 10,000 for basketball.

Quote:
The NHL won't be expanding for many, many years.
I thought that too until news of expansion leaked at this year's NHL all-star game. The upcoming labor situation will probably dictate whether or not there is an expansion. If there is labor peace and the situations improve in Columbus, Dallas, Long Island, etc., then expansion to Seattle and Quebec or Toronto 2 makes sense.

The NHL has wanted a team in Seattle for almost 40 years. This is there best opportunity to do that.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 4:12 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

And as for college basketball... I'm not sure the Washington Huskies count.

(Seriously, Pac-12 basketball is atrocious. Not even UCLA and Arizona are good this season.)
Washington can make a deep tourney run. They are a very talented young team, hence their slow start but strong finish. Cal is good too, but has a very thin bench.

This is a down year across the board in college basketball.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 4:15 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Sounds like Seattle civic boosters are still sore about Boeing...

And as for college basketball... I'm not sure the Washington Huskies count.

(Seriously, Pac-12 basketball is atrocious. Not even UCLA and Arizona are good this season.)
Maybe a little. But we'll take our 80,000 family-wage jobs vs. 500 headquarters jobs anyday. They've added probably 20,000 since the last dip.

Seattle has two companies with payrolls presumably in the $4 billion range. What other city our size has even one, or even one at half that size?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 5:27 PM

I'm a lot more excited about the Amazon development than the potential arena. They're adding another 3 million square feet of office space that is effectively expanding the office core and replacing parking lots, a lowrise hotel, and a car dealership with three towers.

I'm not opposed to the new arena but I'm not a fan of how the NBA does business.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 8:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
NBA > opera, and it isn't close. Opera is not popular among the masses.
More people drive Hondas than Ferraris. That doesn't make them better.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 8:17 PM
good time not a long time

Quote:
Or everybody can admit reality, different strokes for different folks. Having every available entertainment option in the city is preferable.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 8:32 PM
Registered

Quote:
At equal price and supply, what do you think would sell more? Apply the same question to the NBA and opera. How many hundred millions did the opera network TV rights go for?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 8:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminyCricket II View Post
Or everybody can admit reality, different strokes for different folks. Having every available entertainment option in the city is preferable.
Bingo. That is why it is possible to make a strong case for the arena in response to the original question. The SODO arena would being the NBA, NHL, concerts that are currently avoiding Seattle, and other large events. With its proximity to the Stadium Exhibition Center and light rail to the Convention Center, the new arena could attract major events like all-star games and Presidential Conventions.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 9:48 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
The legendary college programs are located in Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Bel-Air of all places!
Not to nitpick, but UCLA is in Westwood. Bel Air is just where all the profs live!

Thanks for explaining the Denny Triangle. Has Amazon fleshed out their development plans with renderings or anything, or is it too early yet?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 9:55 PM
Never Dell

The first public documents will be published in time for a March 27 design review meeting, which is part of the land use entitlement process.

Here's the schedule of upcoming meetings, and links to the projects with downloadable design presentations. Fascinating stuff. At the first meeting, it's usually about massing options, variances they might pursue, design philosophy, etc.

http://seattle.gov/dpd/Planning/Desi...ng/default.asp

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 10:46 PM
good time not a long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Thanks for explaining the Denny Triangle. Has Amazon fleshed out their development plans with renderings or anything, or is it too early yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
The first public documents will be published in time for a March 27 design review meeting, which is part of the land use entitlement process.

Here's the schedule of upcoming meetings, and links to the projects with downloadable design presentations. Fascinating stuff. At the first meeting, it's usually about massing options, variances they might pursue, design philosophy, etc.

http://seattle.gov/dpd/Planning/Desi...ng/default.asp
What's the usual timeline for getting renderings/plans after those initial meetings? I know it's probably dependent on urgency, but it wouldn't be at this point if they don't have some sort of plan in place.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 1:27 AM
Never Dell

Usually before the meeting. I don't know what the requirement is.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 1:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
At equal price and supply, what do you think would sell more? Apply the same question to the NBA and opera. How many hundred millions did the opera network TV rights go for?
More popular does not mean better, contrary to what you say.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 3:25 PM

From statements amounting to - the NBA is mostly for black fans, to Seattle being better than Chicago (in various criteria), to the LA CSA being more deserving of a 3rd NBA team than Seattle - there are a lot of really silly/flat-out-ignorant comments in this thread.

For the record, Seattle is a great basketball town, and is truly a deserving city if there is one right now. Its a shame they lost the sonics despite all the fan support (just think OKC has one of the best teams and possible MVP right now), but I dont see them getting another franchise without a relocation of an existing team.

All that said, the Amazon development sounds like its far more important at this time for that city and the people probably should be more excited about that. But we all know that sports (even just the possibility of adding a new franchise) is always a bigger deal to the general public in America, even if it shouldnt be.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 4:29 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i cleared out all of the city vs. city nonsense in this thread.

please carry on with ON TOPIC discussion.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:10 PM

What the hell is going on in Seattle right now?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions