HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 3:36 PM
Website Manager

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 5:37 PM

^^ I agree with you Dylan, and considering there is a large surface parking lot right next door, I feel like that should the logical choice.. aside from the fact that I think Auburn already owns the properties of 560 & 562 Wellington, so there's that.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 7:38 PM

They do not own the parking lot, isn't it part of city hall? The currently buildings are actually pretty nice, my old insurance broker was/is located there.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:11 PM
User Registered

The parking lot directly south of the location is owned by the city. It's used for Centennial Hall and special events at Victoria Park but is pretty empty when there's nothing going on.

I too agree that the building on the location right now is nice. I hope the new structure, if approved, will look very similar to the render. Replacing it with a commie block is not what I have in mind.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:21 PM
London Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
The parking lot directly south of the location is owned by the city.
Incorrect!

The parking lot is actually owned by London Life, and is used by London Life employees for parking during weekdays.

I have been calling for a few residential highrises to be built on the outskirts of Victoria Park for years. This is a great start, but my main concern is that this turns out to look like The Harriston. Yikes. BUT, someone already mentioned that Urban Design will probably ensure that the Victoria Park facade of the building will be aesthetically pleasing, ie. more glass than concrete, etc.

I heard about this proposal a few months ago, and was just waiting to see 'proof'.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:07 AM

wow, 4 months without a word on this one, I have that all to familiar sinking feeling that this one might never happen. Shame.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 3:26 AM
The Vomit Bag.

maybe joe fraudtana could ante up the downpayment.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 3:48 AM
bro

Smile

Five days ago Phil McLeod mentioned the Auburn development on London Community News - Link

Quote:
For the West Woodfield Conservation District that issue is about to be sorely tested. Working its way through the planning department is an application for a high rise condo tower on the corner of Wellington and Wolfe, facing Victoria Park. It would mean the demolition of two buildings which, while not heritage buildings themselves, are heritage buildings by virtue of being part of a heritage district. Part of the planning process will be a study to determine the negative impact on the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 4:09 AM

While I can appreciate that demoing two rather attractive buildings for a condo on the park might seem detrimental to the neighborhood for some.. it begs the question, who is it hurting to have more people downtown? Traffic isn't going to be drastically changed by a few more 25 story buildings, and certainly having more people in the area will likely (EVENTUALLY) attract amenities that are presently lacking. This sort of humming and hawing is beyond frustrating, do we know who the closest neighbors are to those buildings? students. Do they care? I seriously doubt it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazDeH View Post
While I can appreciate that demoing two rather attractive buildings for a condo on the park might seem detrimental to the neighborhood for some.. it begs the question, who is it hurting to have more people downtown? Traffic isn't going to be drastically changed by a few more 25 story buildings, and certainly having more people in the area will likely (EVENTUALLY) attract amenities that are presently lacking. This sort of humming and hawing is beyond frustrating, do we know who the closest neighbors are to those buildings? students. Do they care? I seriously doubt it.
Sure, but I gotta admit that the two buildings that would be demolished are pretty attractive and fairly old. Their intrinsic value is significant enough. I only ask that whatever replaces them be equally or more attractive and that means three things: pedestrian-scale architecture facing the street, businesses at ground level, and little to no surface parking.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 9:27 PM

Well knowing London's only architectural requirement is for the building not to fall down, I don't see why this wouldn't be just anothe r Harriston and the last thing downtown needs is another concrete bunker. Even if they had a very good proposal, I hope it doesn't go ahead. Part of the charm of Vistoria Park is not just the park itself but all the lovely architectural gems that surround it.

If it could somehow get some of the CH parking and put it there then that OK but if requires tearing down anything around Victoria Park the answer should be no.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 5:54 PM

Proposal appears to be alive and well this link was in (2015 Urban Design Peer Review Meetings) city of London web page.
http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...2015-03-15.pdf
http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...-Meetings.aspx

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dither City View Post
Proposal appears to be alive and well

Last edited by GreatTallNorth2; Mar 11, 2015 at 9:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 8:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wow things are looking up.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 6:08 PM

I sort of assumed this project was dead, hope we get some more information sooner than later. . Financially it should be very successful given the location and would like spur more development in the area.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 1:31 PM

New article in the Freeps. One thing that puzzles me is the part where the developer says they don't know whether the building will be condos or rentals. How can they not know this? To go to the effort to plan a tower and not know how the revenue will come in from the building?

Demand for highrise residential towers in London core increasingBy Hank Daniszewski, The London Free Press
Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:12:23 EDT PM

A towering new luxury building overlooking downtown London’s crown jewel, and a third tower joining two others already built, could soon drive up the core’s highrise living boom.

While there’s no blocks-long wall of condo towers here like you find in Toronto, some are betting a mini-version of the same idea — more people drawn to live downtown — is reaching a point of no return.

That’s the hope behind the proposed third highrise joining a twin-towered complex just off the downtown, in Old East Village, that together would boost that area’s population by about 2,000 people.

Meanwhile, ready for the city hall approval mill is a proposal for the long-awaited, 25-storey residential and commercial tower overlooking Victoria Park.

Both projects are yet another sign of the makeover the core is getting from highrise living, with city hall tracking what could be up to 2,900 new residential units downtown and in Old East in a few years.

At the Old East site, Toronto-based Medallion Development is eager to build a third apartment tower at King and Lyle streets even though the area has had its share of vacancies, crime and social problems.

“Medallion has no problem going into a neighbourhood that’s somewhat rundown over the years,” George Espinola of Medallion said Thursday.

He said Toronto’s Queen St. W. — famed for its arts and culture — had similar challenges when Medallion started developments there 15 years ago. Now, it’s one of Canada’s trendiest neighbourhoods.

In a filing with the city’s urban design panel, Medallion plans a 21-storey tower with 298 units, just west of its two Revo on King towers.

A third tower wasn’t in the original plan. But Espinola said Medallion says the demand is there.

He said the first 24-storey tower, completed in 2012, is about 87% occupied and the second, 21-storey tower built later is about half occupied. Work on the third may begin this year, Espinola said.

“We are very confident that we will be all leased-up by the time the third tower is ready to go,” he said.

Between them, fully leased, the three buildings would have about 900 units housing 2,000 people, he said.

Overlooking the east side of Victoria Park, plans are also moving ahead for Auburn Developments’ 25-storey residential tower at Wellington and Wolfe streets, just north of Centennial Hall.

The company first proposed the tower in 2012, but only recently turned in a plan to the design panel.

The project still needs rezoning approval and a change to the city’s official plan, said Steve Stapleton of Auburn Developments. It plans to hold public consultations with the nearby Woodfield community.

The plan calls for a luxury building of 188 units, mainly one-bedroom. But Stapleton said no final decision has been made on the number of units or whether they’d be condos or rentals.

Two small office buildings at 562 and 560 Wellington, where Auburn’s office are located, would have to be demolished to make way for the tower. It would have ground-floor office-commercial space, with setbacks and a design compatible with the area.

The building’s height, close to old Victorian buildings, will become an issue, Stapleton said. Still, he said the project meets long-term goals to increase residential development in London’s core.

“We might be the first on the block, but what’s the view of the block 20 years from now?” he said.

A “slender tower set on a pedestrian-sized podium,” the design is meant to fit the area and reduce the effects of wind and shadow.

The project falls just outside the downtown boundary in the city’s growth blueprint, Stapleton said. Within the boundary, projects can go up to 30 storeys. Outside, a maximum eight storeys is recommended.

Stapleton said the 25-storey building could be accommodated through a “transition zone,” noting a Tricar

Group condo building a few blocks north is 14 storeys high.

hank.daniszewski@sunmedia.ca

twitter.com/HankatLFPress

- - -

OTHER PROPOSALS

50 King St.: Middlesex County has proposed a 30-storey, 200-unit residential highrise, worth up to $100 million, with retail and commercial space.

King and Clarence streets: Ayerswood Development Corp. has proposed two residential towers, 550 units, valued at $100 million, with retail and commercial space.

Horton and Waterloo: Creative Property Development proposing a highrise, 15 to 25 storeys, $45 million.

Talbot and Dufferin: Residential development by Tricar Group, size to be determined.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 12:13 PM

Any news if Auburn Dev still pursuing this 25s on Wellington overlooking Victoria Park?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 6:06 PM

The LFP article mentions that Auburn is still working on this proposed project and planning to tweak it in the next few weeks. The opposition is the area residents not wanting a tower overlooking them. If you look into a future where City Hall has relocated to a major development at the Forks what will happen to the current City Hall and the Square and Centennial Hall. Will they be demolished and turned into a park? Redeveloped into a performing arts center? High rise office or residential? A combination of these?

Also to save the downtown core from expanding into Woodfield we need to allow it to grow up and increase density without replacing the stately homes in the area.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 1:20 PM

I read that as well, I assumed this project was dead.

I do not get that argument, you live in downtown London the chances of someone seeing in your backyard is pretty high.

I hope this gets approved soon.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 9:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

great to hear about the 3rd tower. Another shot in the arm for an area that had too many addicts (if you will pardon the pun).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates