HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:26 PM

It's been said before, since they kind of have to transition between two companies with this section there's probably bound to be trouble.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator1 View Post
For some reason they stopped fireproofing the steel with 10 floors to go a couple of weeks ago. That will stop the glass install at that point. I really don't get the way some things have sequenced on this building. They seem to keep doing things that stop other things from moving forward. Either bad project planning, bad material management or something. Rather a frustrating building to watch go up. If you look at other buildings, here and on other city sites, the sequence usually makes sense. Not so much with this one. Lots of dead time without visible progress. This is not a hospital with complicated infrastructure that takes time, its a hotel.
L.F. Driscoll, being the General Contractor, is probably having a logistics nightmare. With little to no glass installation on the top half, interior fit-out gets delayed by months. And on a project like this, liquidated damages could be $10k - $25k for each week the building doesn't meet its construction deadline. I'm sure triple-shifts are being utilized to compensate for lost time. No doubt the laborers, architect, and GC are going at each-other. Lawyer up!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator1 View Post
For some reason they stopped fireproofing the steel with 10 floors to go a couple of weeks ago. That will stop the glass install at that point. I really don't get the way some things have sequenced on this building. They seem to keep doing things that stop other things from moving forward. Either bad project planning, bad material management or something. Rather a frustrating building to watch go up.
Isn't it just possible that they are prioritizing finishing the hundreds of thousands of square feet of office space as quickly as possible as Comcast NEEDS to start moving personnel in ASAP?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Isn't it just possible that they are prioritizing finishing the hundreds of thousands of square feet of office space as quickly as possible as Comcast NEEDS to start moving personnel in ASAP?
Very highly doubt that - there are two critical must-hit dates: substantial completion and CO (certificate of occupancy). The first requires the building be turned over back to the Owner AND requires contractual payment. The latter, requires the building be inspected and deemed safe before tenants move in. This is typically not the case when construction is still in progress.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Certainly that has to be a priority, but wouldn't the sub-contractors that are performing interior carpentry/finishing work be different than those working on the structural steel, cooling towers and glass up above? Seems they oughta be able to walk & chew gum at the same time

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 5:08 PM

Not sure this adds up.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...randywine.html

Verizon is vacating 89K sq. ft.
Quote:
The company now occupies only about 89,000 square feet in the former Bell Atlantic building, less than a tenth of its office space, brokerage Newmark Grubb Knight Frank said in a report this month.
Comcast Currently uses 200K sq. ft. of space in the building.
Quote:
Comcast Corp. — already the tower’s biggest occupant with about 200,000 square feet under lease
Comcast needs at least 300K sq. ft. to consolidate currently leased space.
Quote:
It also leases about 200,000 square feet nearby at the 709,000-square-foot Two Logan Square building and occupies about 100,000 square feet at the 1.8 million-square-foot Centre Square office complex near City Hall, JLL’s Marcus said.
The Verizon tower could meet their space needs if a lot more space becomes available in the tower but just Verizon leaving would not free enough room to consolidate office space if that is their intention. This also does not factor in Comcast's growth and future need for more space.

Plus:
Quote:
Jerry Sweeney, chief executive of Brandywine Realty Trust, which owns the former Bell Atlantic building, said his company had long been aware of Verizon’s plans to vacate the tower, and that “several key prospects” have been lined up for the space.
Seems like they may have already found someone for Verizon's space.

But in the end I guess we will have to wait and see what they decide.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgar View Post
Very highly doubt that - there are two critical must-hit dates: substantial completion and CO (certificate of occupancy). The first requires the building be turned over back to the Owner AND requires contractual payment. The latter, requires the building be inspected and deemed safe before tenants move in. This is typically not the case when construction is still in progress.
Interesting.

IS there any actual evidence that the building is behind schedule? Last that was reported on the matter was, in fact, the opposite.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Interesting.

IS there any actual evidence that the building is behind schedule? Last that was reported on the matter was, in fact, the opposite.
considering the permit sign says late 2018 completion I doubt its behind schedule. I can't see how they can't be ahead with such a padded schedule.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 11:23 PM

So progess that I seemed to see this week is a floor of new glass, but other then that?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 11:28 AM

[IMG]

Not sure why you guys think things are behind schedule. It's April 2017. Crews are working 6-7 days a week, 12 hrs a day+. It's full steam ahead. Glass is climbing again. Seemed they were focusing on interior work. The diagonal braces are being installed on 19th Street side. All is well. No worries here. Chill people.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:30 PM

They were doing something on the top floor yesterday, but I still don't see any signs of upward movement at that level. It's interesting to see how long it's been since there has been any growth of the building.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Not sure why you guys think things are behind schedule.
I think the main reason is that vertical progress came to a screeching halt months ago; yea there's much more to the project than erecting the last couple hundred feet but it is certainly the most noticeable thing when you look at the building day after day & it's the same height it was at the end of 2016.

Ahead, on, or behind schedule is kinda irrelevant out here in the peanut gallery

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 8:32 PM

I spoke with a worker on the building and he said that the cooling towers and Spire will start in a month after the roof has concrete poured and dryed on the top of it

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 9:31 PM

I can't wait for everyone watching he NFL Draft to see our sexy supertall under construction high in the sky. The forecast is excellent.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 11:27 PM

Update from Building Philly

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 12:37 AM

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
That's interesting: I've never seen the skyline from that angle before. It's very nice to say the least! It shows how the skyline stretches from a northeastern vantage point, which isn't seen too often. The W and 1300 Market (as will any other tall building east of Broad) will really stand out. The Schuylkill Yards towers will also stand out nicely here!

Cardinal O'Hara Class of 2013--->Temple University '18

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 3:33 AM

Yeah, the northeastern view coming over the Tacony Palmyra Bridge is very unique and beautiful. ^^

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:50 PM
SkyscraperSunset.com

From Monday 4/17:

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:09 PM

[IMG]

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction