HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 9:05 PM

Brissy & The Beach

Somewhat of a squeal to my Sydney thread, here are my photos from Brisbane and Byron Bay. I left Sydney on an overnight Greyhound and arrived in the notorious backpacking town of Byron Bay. It reminded me a lot of American east coast beach towns. Small wood buildings, ice cream, surf and sandwich shops. There was an even mix of families and backpackers, businesses catering to both. The beach was great but in the end, still a beach. I dabbled at surfing and got stung by a jellyfish. Nothing serious but certainly not enjoyable.

Brisbane was a short bus ride north. Somewhat of an odd city to visit on a world tour. I had a friend living there that let me crash on his couch. Always nice to save a bit of cash and have an insider show you around. The city reminded me a lot of my home, Denver, maybe a bit more urban. Unlike the US, Australia is still chugging away at their real estate boom. Several towers were under construction or getting under way. Christmas was quickly approaching and the city had all the decorations out. A bit odd to see tinsel and wreaths next to palm trees in the summer. The seasonal rains were actually quite unseasonable, wreaking havoc on the area. You can see from some shots the Brisbane river was at the brim. Shortly after I left it crested and flooded parts of the city. I took a day trip into the surrounding mountains, getting a chance to see some of the local flora and fauna. Ok, enough talk.

That crest of land in the distance is the most easterly point in Australia.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 9:29 PM

You really have an eye for things. Excellent.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 10:28 PM
video et taceo

i have always gotten a strange feeling from (photographs and secondhand accounts of) brisbane, and i can't place it. it is as if this city is displaced or pastless or detached somehow. i can't get a good sense of the role it plays in australia's national consciousness. i don't have any sense of how it sees itself.

Last edited by kool maudit; Aug 8, 2011 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 1:24 AM
It could be worse!

Sydney and Melbourne may get all the love internationally, but Bris-Vegas knows how to shine. Great pics!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 1:54 AM
BANNED

Brisbane is on my list.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:48 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Looks like a fun town.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 2:01 PM

I love beautiful Brisbane and the Aussie lifestyle. Impressive photos!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
i have always gotten a strange feeling from (photographs and secondhand accounts of) brisbane, and i can't place it. it is as if this city is displaced or pastless or detached somehow.
That is precisely because it is displaced and pastless, just like other post-modern cities: Perth, Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, Vancouver, Calgary etc.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 7:21 PM

This picture:

completely wowed me. The ocean almost looks as mountainous as the actual mountains in the background, and the people only complete the picture.

Of course, the rest of your pics are equally jaw-dropping (as always), but that was my favorite.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 8:07 PM
furified freestyle

i got no reason to be there, but i imagine it would be some kinda change.

old man with a rat tailed mohawk in a business suit. works for me. i like the one nineties flava reposted too.

i also don't know much, if anything, about brisbane. i'd heard of it before the floods last year, but that was about it. i'm certainly happy to see it by way of okayyou.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit
i have always gotten a strange feeling from (photographs and secondhand accounts of) brisbane, and i can't place it. it is as if this city is displaced or pastless or detached somehow.
That is precisely because it is displaced and pastless, just like other post-modern cities: Perth, Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, Vancouver, Calgary etc.
Ouch! You're really throwing Denver under the bus by equating it to Vegas - Denver is a modern city and a western city but it's historical timeline has nothing in common with Vegas, Phoenix, or Calgary. Up until about 1905 Denver was the second largest city in the western US. By 1940 Denver had a population of over 322,000 - fourth largest in the west with LA at 1.5 million, San Fran at 634,000, and Seattle at 368,000. That equates to a substantial amount of historical pre-war building stock. Vegas and Phoenix were non-existent in 1940. Denver had a larger population in 1890 than Calgary had in 1950. Denver has nearly fifty square miles of pre-war neighborhoods which I am slowly posting threads of on this site.

As always Okayyou - really appreciate your photos and thanks for posting.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 3:35 AM
zzzzzzzz

can't go wrong with an Okayyou photo thread. Top notch as always!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 6:01 AM
them bones

Like most I don't have much of a sense of this place either. Most descriptions from the area seem to be from Surfer's Paradise / Gold Coast.

Excellent photos.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 6:38 AM

Incredible thread & pics! Thanks for posting OkayYou!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
This picture:

completely wowed me. The ocean almost looks as mountainous as the actual mountains in the background, and the people only complete the picture.

Of course, the rest of your pics are equally jaw-dropping (as always), but that was my favorite.
forgive me for responding with this picture as someone just did but it deserved to be posted again, it's incredible as are all of them but man, as a beach freak, those beach pics you took are otherworldly

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 1:10 PM
Vires acquirit eundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
i have always gotten a strange feeling from (photographs and secondhand accounts of) brisbane, and i can't place it. it is as if this city is displaced or pastless or detached somehow. i can't get a good sense of the role it plays in australia's national consciousness. i don't have any sense of how it sees itself.
Unfortunately for Brisbane, it's not really a destination for most people going to Queensland - they're usually heading for the Gold Coast (50-100km to the south east on the coast) or the Sunshine Coast (50-100km to the north) or Far North Queensland (1-2 hours flying time from Brisbane waaayyy up north).

Brisbane is the capital city in one of the most decentralised states - only about ~40-50% of Queensland's population lives in its metro - compare to 75% of Victorians live in Melbourne and 65-70% of New South Welshmen live in Sydney.

just for everyone's info - the photos (if you hadnt noticed) are mixed - Beachy/Pothead/Tatooed people: Byron, the rest are in Brisbane including the hinterland photos.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 6:05 PM

Amazing is all I can say!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:30 PM
BANNED

What a great place! Nice looking city, surrounded by natural, rugged lands!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:58 PM

Plenty of natural beauty to enjoy down there. Lovely!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 7:22 PM

I really wasn't in Brisbane long enough to get a good feel for the citiy's identity. Like I said, it reminded me of Denver. Both have defined one major street in their CBD for pedestians. The scale of their buildings were about the same, Brisbane is building taller hi-rises currently. Architecturally Denver's new stuff is more bland and modest but Brisbane really seemed to lack any historic district. There were some nice Victorian government buildings but nothing like Denver's LoDo. Brisbane has the beach and Denver has the mountains. Neither city is really on the global radar but appear to fare quite well in their respective domestic standings. I probably wouldn't have stopped in Brisbane if I didn't have a friend living there.

I did manage to hit Surfer's paradise and the Gold Coast for a day, no pics though. Talk about a place with no past. Gold Coast reminded me of Miami or Ft. Luaderale, huge condos abutting miles of sunny beach. There was some monster condo project that looked brand new, I think this one, third tallest res building in the world.

Again, thanks for all the comments. Plenty more threads to come.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos