HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Supposedly they're going to convert the indoor mall into street facing retail spots. They also want to move the buses to the back of the building.
This is better. King's Place looks old and ugly.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaQuiro View Post
Hey guys!

Longtime lurker of the Fredericton Retail Thread, new poster.
I was at Subway on Prospect this morning and noticed that the old Pannizza location has its For Lease signs down, and the facade of the building has been painted yellow.

Potential Money Mart move? Something else?
Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
It's all one building with a bit of a dogleg in the middle. I can't find the original proposal but it runs the entire length of the block and goes from two storeys on the ends to four in the middle.
And will be ugly AF. That entire development is such a waste. They could have done something really cool there.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Curious as to why you think that?

From the Playhouse 2.0 web site:

https://buildtheplayhouse2.ca/blog-m...eat-capacities
I understand the concern to have shows with empty seats and how that looks bad but I don't think it's reason enough to not build it bigger. I'm for the idea of having a smaller space as well, I think that makes sense but in the larger space, they have 763 seats now. If we are spending $30 million dollars for a new playhouse, common sense dictates that we should gain more than 87 more seats. It seems like every time I go to the playhouse, the show is sold out. It's not like it will be easy to add more later, might as well build it a bit bigger to accommodate growth now than building it for today's needs only. I know they are limited by physical space but rather than reducing St.John street down to one lane like they plan now, my argument is that they should just close that section of St.John street entirely. You only have to drive around 1 extra building to get to the next street...I can't see how this will be a major hamper on traffic flow. Reducing it to one lane makes it even less useful than it is now. I know this causes complications with the fact they just made that section of queen street a two way, but I'm sure there is a work around.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 6:41 PM

Appears the long-awaited Nissan dealer construction on Bishop is imminent. Trailer and heavy equipment now onsite

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyGuy View Post
I understand the concern to have shows with empty seats and how that looks bad but I don't think it's reason enough to not build it bigger. I'm for the idea of having a smaller space as well, I think that makes sense but in the larger space, they have 763 seats now. If we are spending $30 million dollars for a new playhouse, common sense dictates that we should gain more than 87 more seats. It seems like every time I go to the playhouse, the show is sold out. It's not like it will be easy to add more later, might as well build it a bit bigger to accommodate growth now than building it for today's needs only. I know they are limited by physical space but rather than reducing St.John street down to one lane like they plan now, my argument is that they should just close that section of St.John street entirely. You only have to drive around 1 extra building to get to the next street...I can't see how this will be a major hamper on traffic flow. Reducing it to one lane makes it even less useful than it is now. I know this causes complications with the fact they just made that section of queen street a two way, but I'm sure there is a work around.
I have ranted about this also on thus very forum so I won't rehash my arguments. I see the desire to "not have empty seats" which is why you have a smaller theater in the same building. But Fredericton can not attach bigger shows mostly due to the lack of proper venues. Wish they had planned for the next fifty years rather than just doing something that will do for the time being. Would have been happy with 1200 seats (or the capability of adding that many in the future.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I have ranted about this also on thus very forum so I won't rehash my arguments. I see the desire to "not have empty seats" which is why you have a smaller theater in the same building. But Fredericton can not attach bigger shows mostly due to the lack of proper venues. Wish they had planned for the next fifty years rather than just doing something that will do for the time being. Would have been happy with 1200 seats (or the capability of adding that many in the future.
good to know that I'm not alone.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburns42 View Post
This is better. King's Place looks old and ugly.
I’m in favour of a redevelopment of Kings Place but I actually like the indoor mall. There is also a large grade difference from the mall floor to the sidewalk by almost 20-30cm so that would have to be accommodated.
In my opinion, this is what Kings Place needs:
- A good power washing of the façade OR total replacement with something more modern (glass, metal, pops of colour)
- Expand the retail area between the elevators for King Tower and Scotiabank to entice more retail frontage rather than empty looking colleges or offices.
- Total rebuild of the parking garage and encorporate a bus terminal. Something more dense so the government offices inside can vacate the market parking lot and open up for development.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
I’m in favour of a redevelopment of Kings Place but I actually like the indoor mall. There is also a large grade difference from the mall floor to the sidewalk by almost 20-30cm so that would have to be accommodated.
In my opinion, this is what Kings Place needs:
- A good power washing of the façade OR total replacement with something more modern (glass, metal, pops of colour)
- Expand the retail area between the elevators for King Tower and Scotiabank to entice more retail frontage rather than empty looking colleges or offices.
- Total rebuild of the parking garage and encorporate a bus terminal. Something more dense so the government offices inside can vacate the market parking lot and open up for development.
Indoor malls in downtowns are mostly dead or dying. The common spaces means the rents are too high. I think the writing is on the wall here. Street facing retail will work much better, especially if the buses are relocated to Brunswick Street.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
The City is seeking input from residents of the Lower Brookside Drive area (Main Street to Ring Road) of the city at a public meeting to discuss a potential major rehabilitation of the street, with the goal of improving pedestrian and cycling facilities and transit stop access. The meeting will be held Tuesday, November 20 at 1050 unit D, Douglas Avenue (Tim Hortons / Subway Building), from 6:30-8:00pm. More details here: http://ow.ly/a3TP30mBzby
https://www.facebook.com/CityOfFrede...type=3&theater

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 10:52 PM

The proposed new 6-story building on Regent (79-95 Regent) will house Service Canada (Federal Government) on the ground floor. They will be relocating from their current space in the Federal building at Queen and Regent. Public Service and Procurement Canada selected the proponent and has awarded them the contract for that space after completing the tender process. Federal space is 36000 sq ft.
This may impact timing of the new roundabout at Smythe and Woodstock Rd as council may be hesitant to close down part of Regent and Smythe at the same time. Bottom line though is that Feds want this project to proceed without delay

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 12:23 AM

^^^
good to hear, sounds like this project is going to proceed.

Great to see so many large developments going ahead downtown.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 11:12 AM

Gleaner article about the Regent Street building: https://outline.com/2eeCPM

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:03 PM

Quote:
The proposal has at least one city councillor wondering about the impact on traffic in 2019, which is already shaping up to be a busy construction year.

"We need to maintain some flexibility in what our plans are next year," Coun. Dan Keenan said at a recent budget meeting.

"One thing we would not want to do is shut down Smythe Street and Regent Street at the same time. That would be ... everybody take a bus."

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:04 PM

This also leaves the question of what to do about the existing federal building. It must still have quite a usable lifespan ahead of it, but the article says it will follow the "federal government's established disposal process", which doesn't sound promising.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
The proposed new 6-story building on Regent (79-95 Regent) will house Service Canada (Federal Government) on the ground floor. They will be relocating from their current space in the Federal building at Queen and Regent. Public Service and Procurement Canada selected the proponent and has awarded them the contract for that space after completing the tender process. Federal space is 36000 sq ft.
This may impact timing of the new roundabout at Smythe and Woodstock Rd as council may be hesitant to close down part of Regent and Smythe at the same time. Bottom line though is that Feds want this project to proceed without delay
What's going to happen to their current building?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburns42 View Post
What's going to happen to their current building?
It's been declared Surplus according to the article. I don't know if it is worth saving for heritage purposes or not. It is located on the corner next to Officer's Square, so it might be worth looking into making it a museum maybe if it is to be salvaged, or maybe it could be rebuilt for something touristy to tie in with the lighthouse and the square.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:52 PM
New Brunswick booster!

It's a stunning building. I hope it is saved.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
It's a stunning building. I hope it is saved.
It feels like it would make an excellent museum of some sort. I know the Beaverbrook was just expanded, but maybe they might look to buy it as an annex building, a spot they could showcase some of their stored collection.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:25 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
This also leaves the question of what to do about the existing federal building. It must still have quite a usable lifespan ahead of it, but the article says it will follow the "federal government's established disposal process", which doesn't sound promising.
Probably just means to sell it off or at least try to for a certain amount time before deciding to tear it down if it can't be sold. Not to worry I'm sure someone will buy it!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces