HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:17 AM

Sorry, typo, that should be 32.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet or whether there's more info but I noticed this earlier today, a redevelopment plan for the Tramway Building. It looks like they are retaining the facade and possibly some aspects of the interior/structure, keeping the ground floor commercial and converting the upper floors to residential, adding a 2-storey residential addition for a total of about 52 [edit: 32] units. Notably, there doesn't seem to be any parking included (unless the existing building already includes a parkade)/ I guess this is probably the case for a lot of existing apartment units downtown, especially above street level on streets like Barrington:

Tramway Building notice by Hali87, on Flickr
Do those two-bedroom units have only lightwell access to daylight? I'm not sure how enjoyable those will be if that's true.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 8:02 PM

I like it from an aesthetic point of view. Looks like they will look into whether it is feasible to remove the ground floor masonry and return it to its original look, so still some unanswered questions. It looks promising, though.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Do those two-bedroom units have only lightwell access to daylight? I'm not sure how enjoyable those will be if that's true.
Looks like the developer is trying to squeeze as many studio apartments as possible into this thing, and my God do those studios look tiny. I don't even see a sink in the bathroom? Not sure that anyone will want to live in a bottom of the well apartment though, as these look more like dormitory floorplans then apartments. Oh well, $1300 month studios here we come

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
I don't even see a sink in the bathroom?

Look harder.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
...I don't even see a sink in the bathroom? ...
Half-circle shape on the wall opposite the toilet. Looks like a wetroom-style washroom with showerhead adjacent to the toilet.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:39 PM

Could be worse...
Video Link

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:39 AM

RALSTON BUILDING UPDATE from the CLC website:

Date: Wednesday, November 7th Time: 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.

Location: Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, 1675 Lower Water Street, Halifax

Join Canada Lands Company, Architecture49, and WSP Canada Inc. to talk about the future of the site and discuss some design ideas.

This workshop will focus on land uses, built form and heritage commemoration.

If you plan to attend, we would appreciate notice through an RSVP at: info@plan1557hollis.ca

Light refreshments will be served. Thank you.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
Join Canada Lands Company, Architecture49, and WSP Canada Inc. to talk about the future of the site and discuss some design ideas.
I guess it's a given that the existing building will be torn down and the site will be turned into a blank slate?

I assume they will talk about how the new buildings will be LEED ultra-platinum, etc. But will anybody think much about the energy and resource costs inherent to demolishing and rebuilding? Plus I guess the offices that used to be here moved out to the suburbs...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I guess it's a given that the existing building will be torn down and the site will be turned into a blank slate?

I assume they will talk about how the new buildings will be LEED ultra-platinum, etc. But will anybody think much about the energy and resource costs inherent to demolishing and rebuilding? Plus I guess the offices that used to be here moved out to the suburbs...
At the meeting in September, they said demolition was scheduled for spring 2019, and that the CRA offices had moved, but I can't remember where.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
At the meeting in September, they said demolition was scheduled for spring 2019, and that the CRA offices had moved, but I can't remember where.
CRA’s local offices moved last year to Bayer’s Lake, to 145 Hobson Lake Drive (which is essentially in Beechville). Around the same time the agency’s regional head office moved to Alderney Gate (from Purdys Wharf). It was truly a fundamental shift because, until a few years ago, it was government policy to locate the tax offices in city cores. That was before they stopped inviting lowly citizens to walk in off the street when they needed tax help.

Went by the Ralston the other day and it appears they are already well along to gutting the interior.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 4:44 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
In other news, large slabs of the granite trim on the old WTCC have been removed.
i walked through the pedway, and the convention space was being renovated. - there was a building permit pasted to the exit door to the convention area near the corner of duke/argyle, but i couldnt stop to read it.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Has anyone else heard the rumour that the Round Tower in Clayton Park at 200 Willett is going to be demolished and the site rebuilt. I live across the street and have been noticing the seemingly alarming number of vacant windows and was recently told that leases are not being renewed and they are emptying out the building. I don't know if this also includes the low-rise apartment buildings behind this one. There have been various owners of this property over the years and none have taken good care of the property. I wonder what will be built there.....
I drove by last night and thought I saw construction fencing up around the site out of the corner of my eye. Things must be moving forward.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 3:59 AM
Halifax Promoter!

It is amazing that there is nothing in the news about 210 Willett (the Round Tower)! We have heard many rumours that it will be a total tear down/rebuild with ground floor retail a possibility....looking forward to hearing about this....

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 12:31 AM
Halifax Promoter!

What happened today in the meeting for the Ralston building?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 6:02 PM

One reason why the Halifax area will be a magnet for young people over the next decade or more : https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...oot-from-gasp/

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 10:14 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Love to read this article, but have to be a subscriber to the paper....

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Love to read this article, but have to be a subscriber to the paper....
City Cost per sq ft
Moncton, N.B. $101
St. John's, Nfld.
Owen Sound, Ont.
Prince George, B.C.
Halifax $155
Prince George, B.C.**
Fort St. John, B.C.
Grey Bruce, Ont.
London, Ont.
Huntsville, Ont.
Montreal, Downtown & SW $603
Richmond, B.C. $677
North Vancouver
Surrey, B.C.*
Vancouver, East Side
Vancouver
West Vancouver
Toronto, Downtown*
Vancouver, West Side
Vancouver, Downtown* $1,345

This comes amid concerns in Canada over affordability in some centres, notably the Vancouver and Toronto areas, and after federal and provincial measures aimed at cooling inflated prices.

Indeed, a new National Bank of Canada study released today showed affordability getting even worse in the third quarter.

Some regional highlights from Cent:

British Columbia: “Going back 20 years most Metro Vancouver prices have tripled or quadrupled - to $681 [price per square foot] this year from $192 in 1998 in North Vancouver, for example.”

Alberta: “Alberta real estate prices have been soft over the last year, falling in most communities while rising in very few.”

Prairies: “The price per square foot of homes across much of Saskatchewan and Manitoba retracted in the last year after two decades of growth. Only Winnipeg bucked the trend, with prices for a detached house there rising to $282 from $267 per square foot while prices in Regina and Saskatoon saw modest declines.”

Ontario: Prices in downtown Toronto climbed more than 10 per cent over the past year and “continue to top Ontario home prices, while prices rose and fell turbulently in GTA suburbs and other communities in the province.”

Eastern Canada: Prices “have risen moderately in the last year even while other parts of Canada faced more variable real estate markets.”

The National Bank study showed affordability worsening in nine of 10 markets tracked, despite an easing in home prices.

“Expensive housing markets such as Vancouver and Toronto slowed down markedly in 2018, and home prices even declined in Q3 due to the combined effect of rising mortgage rates (up for a fifth consecutive quarter) and macro prudential measures,” said National Bank’s Matthieu Arsenau and Kyle Dahms.

“Despite lower home prices, homebuyer affordability failed to improve as wages were down in those markets.”

The Montreal and Ottawa area markets, which have been on fire, suffered the “sharpest deteriorations in affordability” in the quarter.

“But for another reason: Home prices surged respectively by 2.1 per cent and 2.5 per cent quarter over quarter,” said Mr. Arsenau and Mr. Dahms.

“These markets appear to be unaffected by rising interest rates and tighter credit standards as shown by resale market conditions being strongly tilted in favour of sellers.”

SOURCE: CENTURY 21 CANADA

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 6:20 PM

These wooden structures have appeared on Purdy's Wharf. Is this a sign that something is being done to liven it up?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/160390...eposted-public

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jreeb View Post
These wooden structures have appeared on Purdy's Wharf. Is this a sign that something is being done to liven it up?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/160390...eposted-public

They are landscaping the entire wharf and courtyard between the buildings. Should look great, especially Cogswell comes down and connects them back to the rest of downtown.

See: http://www.uplandstudio.ca/purdys-wh...9c4chbxoinwvua

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth