HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Heritage Marketplace is underway in downtown Gilbert; Phase I includes 1-story restaurants and a 2-story commercial building. Sounds perfect to the area, and 2 local brands are on board - Zinburger and Lolo's.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...nclick_check=1

I have always been a fan of downtown Gilbert, and as I mentioned in the Scottsdale thread, it's important for Phoenix to have suburbs with well-defined centers of their own. Scottsdale is an anomaly in that it's gained a niche for being the shopping/entertainment hub of the Valley, but for the more traditional suburbs, having thriving downtowns doesn't mean less business for downtown Phoenix. They should each have their own unique identity, be a place where residents can achieve their everyday needs in a central location, and encourage community through a cluster of locally-based mom and pops shops and eateries.

Not everyone will want to live the urban lifestyle, and someone moving from Chicago with his family for a job at TGEN should be able to choose from different areas without having to sacrifice a sustainable lifestyle. What we need here is for the 'burb he chooses to have a downtown with centralized amenities, so he doesn't have to spend $20 of gas driving from strip mall to strip mall each Saturday, and so he starts gaining a sense of place and pride as his main street gives him a sense of community that can't be found in a stucco box that could be placed on any intersection in the state, causing him to give good reviews to former colleagues in similar positions to move out, his kids to actually stay in the state post-college and not contribute to the brain drain, etc. And, of course, he'll take the kids to Civic Space or to the wife to the Herberger every weekend.

The crappy part is our lack of regional transport, because ideally, these downtowns should all be linked together, but that's a no-brainer for all of us to be wishing for. Not to mention the fact that our largest employers are also bleeding out of Phoenix and into the suburbs making this fairytale I just wrote more and more impossible as more likely, he'll buy a cheap house in Queen Creek and suck up the commute/gas money to get over to the Price Corridor; depending on gas prices that week, maybe he'll treat the kids to a trip to the Chili's on 1 of the 4 intersections within 5 miles of his house.

And, yes, I need to get out of the house...
From East Valley Tribune:

Quote:
The eateries will be part of a new development by LGE Design Build called Heritage Marketplace. Its initial phase of construction, a 31,000-square-foot two-story building containing retail, restaurant and office space, should be complete in summer 2014.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 4:32 AM

Could Apple be mystery buyer of First Solar plant?

This would be awesome:

Quote:
Could Apple Inc. be the mystery buyer of First Solar’s manufacturing plant in Mesa?

We’ve heard from several commercial real estate and other business folks around town they are hearing Apple is looking to buy the 1.3 million-square-foot plant. Some sources say Apple could even use the plant for domestic manufacturing and data center operations.

Manufacturing plants here in Arizona would be a sea-change operation for Apple, which has most of its products produced in China and other foreign markets.
It also would be a huge economic and high-tech coup for Arizona and the East Valley if it's not wishful thinking or an urban legend.

Tempe-based First Solar (Nasdaq: FSLR) announced earlier this month it was selling the plant at the former GM Proving Grounds for $100 million. The solar company never manufactured panels at the plant nor did it produce the 600 promised manufacturing jobs.

First Solar is not disclosing yet who the plant buyer is including whether its Apple or another company. “First Solar declines to comment,” said company spokesman Steve Krum.

This isn’t the first time Apple rumors have circulated. In December 2012, Patrick O’Grady wrote about Apple sniffing around the Valley for a manufacturing facility. That was around the time Apple CEO Tim Cook said he was interested in having some U.S. manufacturing presence.

First Solar did say earlier this month some kind of clean technology user was the buyer. Greater Phoenix Economic Council CEO Barry Broome told KTAR-FM 92.3 the purchaser was in the advanced manufacturing field.

Apple — known for its secretive business ways — also did not comment.

But that is not stopping the talk about Apple being interested in the East Valley plant from moving around business and real estate circles.

Apple looked at the Phoenix market and the East Valley, in particular, before when it was considering sites for a $300 million, 3,600-worker back-office center. The Cupertino, Calif.-based tech giant (Nasdaq: AAPL) landed those jobs in Austin where it already had a footprint and received Texas-sized tax breaks.
First Solar’s plant is located at the Eastmark development owned by Scottsdale-based DMB Associates. It was formerly the GM Proving Grounds and is near Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.

Apple looked at DMB’s Eastmark and One Scottsdale development off the Loop 101 back in 2012 when it was search for back-office sites.

If it is Apple landing in Mesa, it would be a big leap forward for the DMB development, Gov. Jan Brewer and economic development agencies as well as Mesa Mayor Scott Smith.

The Eastmark development has sputtered because of the recession and stalled projects such as First Solar’s plant and a planned resort from Gaylord Entertainment that never happened. The governor and economic development agencies received some criticism after Apple opted for Austin for not moving fast enough with some possible tax incentives and for guiding the site selection to the East Valley more than Phoenix.

There were, however, indications that Austin was Apple’s first choice and the Phoenix search may have been used to help secure tax breaks from Texas and Harris County.

Landing Apple would be huge for the state’s push to grab more high-wage jobs and diversify its economy beyond real estate and tourism. It would complement the East Valley’s semiconductor sector anchored by Intel Corp.’s big Chandler campus.

Smith also is considering a gubernatorial run next year. Grabbing Apple and possibly new U.S. manufacturing operations would be big coup and turn around possible criticism of all the public support that went into the dimmed First Solar plant.

There has been plenty of speculation and prognostications on who the plant buyer is. That has included some rumors Scottsdale-based GoDaddy or cash-flush company founder Bob Parsons might somehow be involved with buying the First Solar building.

GoDaddy executives say their company isn’t the buyer.

“This (the buyer) isn’t GoDaddy,” said spokeswoman Stephanie Bracken.

Of course, the Valley is known for persistent yet unfulfilled urban legends of big companies with big projects. That includes talk of big amusement or water parks from Disney or Six Flags.

Economic development groups and city of Mesa also did not get back to us today on all the Apple talk. Brewer will be at meetings tomorrow in Phoenix for the Arizona Commerce Authority. Those will include behind-closed-door discussions of businesses looking at the state. If all the hype is true, Apple will be at the top of the agenda and not just because of its alphabetic placement.

Brewer spokesman Andrew Wilder said the governor regularly attends ACA meetings. She is the group's chair. "Tomorrow’s meeting should be pretty regular order stuff," he said.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b....html?page=all

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 5:47 AM

This should be in the Southeast Valley forum. Good for Mesa, if it's true. I don't see what benefit this will have for Phoenix. It's just another example of another big name company opting for the suburbs, while Downtown Phoenix continues to flounder.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 7:50 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
This should be in the Southeast Valley forum. Good for Mesa, if it's true. I don't see what benefit this will have for Phoenix. It's just another example of another big name company opting for the suburbs, while Downtown Phoenix continues to flounder.
You're thinking is too small. These sorts of moves benefit the entire Valley, not just their immediate vicinity. More high wage workers is undoubtedly a good thing, and maybe some of them will choose to live in Central Phoenix, or in Downtown Tempe or Mesa. A rising tide lifts all boats.

A project like this won't ever come to Downtown Phoenix (or downtown anywhere). Its the sort of project that ends up in a low slung building, just like the Intel operations in Chandler.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 10:28 PM

The apple purchase of the First Solar building has been confirmed:

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...lant-mesa.html

1300 construction jobs and then 700 manufacturing jobs long term

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
The apple purchase of the First Solar building has been confirmed:

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...lant-mesa.html

1300 construction jobs and then 700 manufacturing jobs long term
That's huge news to get a prestigious company like Apple brining manufacturing jobs to the Valley.

This is way better than the Apple call center Phoenix was competing for about 18 months ago (and lost to Austin):

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...r-phoenix.html

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 4:37 AM
Skyriser

No, the Apple technology center was a major win for Austin. It had all levels of support and 3600 workers, many of which will be highly paid tech workers.

Mesa gets about 700 workers, and I see few of them making anywhere near the pay in Austin.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 6:10 PM

The average wage in this facility will be between $13-$17/Hour from what I have heard. That might be high wage by AZ standards, but it is laughAble compared to many other cites Apple invests in.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
The average wage in this facility will be between $13-$17/Hour from what I have heard. That might be high wage by AZ standards, but it is laughAble compared to many other cites Apple invests in.
What is this a response to?
Where did you 'hear' this?
...and if the cost of living is lower in Phoenix than in other cities "Apple invests in", who gives a damn.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 7:50 PM

Freeway....don't you think that part of Apple's attaction to the valley is that cost of living is much lower than say California and possibly Texas? Could someone relocate these posts to the SE Valley Forum? I don't wan't people getting confused with the Tempe page because someone made a mistake....

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 10:16 PM
Skyriser

I was expecting salaries to be not that high, but I had figured they would be better than $13 - $17. Maybe $20 or $25.

A skilled tech worker or an engineering manager working for Apple in Cupertino could make $150k/year or more.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
What is this a response to?
Where did you 'hear' this?
...and if the cost of living is lower in Phoenix than in other cities "Apple invests in", who gives a damn.
It's in response to the ridiculous statement that the "deal" Mesa is getting with Apple is better than the deal Austin was awarded over Phoenix.

I "heard" this from a business insider who is familiar with this project.

I'm sure many people who believe that these positions are super high paying give a damn. $13-$17/hour is not a high paying job. What's that, like $30K - $40K/year? Even for Arizona, where the largest private employer is Walmart, that kind of wage is not high paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Freeway....don't you think that part of Apple's attaction to the valley is that cost of living is much lower than say California and possibly Texas? Could someone relocate these posts to the SE Valley Forum? I don't wan't people getting confused with the Tempe page because someone made a mistake....
I think Apple remembers the Phoenix area from their last tour around, prior to choosing Austin for actual high tech, skilled positions. I'm sure Scott Smith, Jan Brewer, and whoever else did everything in their power to try to get Apple to consider the Valley. After tax breaks, a dog and pony show, back scratching, and who knows what other unspeakable acts, Apple agreed to retrofit the vacant First Solar facility for GT Advanced Technologies. It couldn't have been tax breaks, as Arizona is completely incapable of competing with Texas on any business level. Texas knows how to attract new business requiring skilled workers. Arizona knows how to talk about wanting to attract high paying industries and then watching those high paying industries locate elsewhere while getting $15/hour jobs. Sad.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 5:41 PM

Actually Freeway if you ever read the Biz Journal you would know that Apple would have spent much more than the purchase and rehab price to construct a facility from the ground up. We do not even know if they (the state) offered any tax incentives.

Oh and to the random person that said employees make 150K a year....well I pondered a career move to the Bay Area last year (since I travel there for work so often) and to enjoy the same quality of life that I have now I would have to make 130K there. I would prefer a red state tax structure than a the woes of a Blue one. Texas can compete because it makes a nice penny off of windfall taxes the state imposes on the oil companies.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Actually Freeway if you ever read the Biz Journal you would know that Apple would have spent much more than the purchase and rehab price to construct a facility from the ground up. We do not even know if they (the state) offered any tax incentives.

Oh and to the random person that said employees make 150K a year....well I pondered a career move to the Bay Area last year (since I travel there for work so often) and to enjoy the same quality of life that I have now I would have to make 130K there. I would prefer a red state tax structure than a the woes of a Blue one. Texas can compete because it makes a nice penny off of windfall taxes the state imposes on the oil companies.
lol - to the "random person" who has 66X as many posts as the true "random person"

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 11:58 PM

Actually as a professional with ties to the development community I was never formally welcomed to the forum as so many others have been, even though I have contributed with updates with the on-goings of valley development. So since I am treated as a "random" person I have chose to be blunt especially when ignorance on this forum is denuded.

Now back to the program. Article I read today about a new Tesla plant in the valley, yet I'm sure the wages will be too low per the consensus of our many economic experts that placate this forum....

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...nning-for.html

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Actually as a professional with ties to the development community I was never formally welcomed to the forum as so many others have been, even though I have contributed with updates with the on-goings of valley development. So since I am treated as a "random" person I have chose to be blunt especially when ignorance on this forum is denuded.

Now back to the program. Article I read today about a new Tesla plant in the valley, yet I'm sure the wages will be too low per the consensus of our many economic experts that placate this forum....

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...nning-for.html
Off Topic

What? Did you post that you were new to the forum and share information on your professional career, ties to the community, or any other details you thought would be interesting? I'm going to assume no, in which case I'm sorry you were under the impression that there would be some kind of special welcome party following your first comment. I've only posted for about a year and didn't receive (or expect) anything to that affect, nor have I seen that happen to any other poster who hadn't outright specified that they were new.

The majority of posts are on development or related issues, and I would think that it is fairly obvious to everyone that we are all appreciative of all information that is shared; this is a fairly niche interest, especially in Phoenix, and so at one point or another, we have all been able to contribute something. So, again, I'm not sure what kind of treatment or reaction you had been wanting, but you aren't the only one not being praised for every nugget of info dropped.

Lastly, I suppose you can choose to behave any way you wish, but I don't believe being blunt would in anyway increase your chances of being welcomed or appreciated, both of which seem to be important to you. It also won't help rid the board of any alleged ignorance, which I assume you meant to state as your goal of being blunt, though you said the exact opposite (denuded means "free of;" so, you said you were choosing to be blunt because the forum was free of ignorance.). Ignorance would be insulting a poster in a thread for no reason, even more so if you were to call them "random," when in fact they have been 66x more relevant than yourself by way of being part of more than 400 posts.

Back To Apple and the Southeast Valley

I'll wait for confirmation on the job specifics, including wages, before saying this isn't great news for the Valley. Regardless, the name and brand itself having a presence in our state to this capacity can only mean positive things. We need to continue to to attract out of state companies/corporations, and continue generating jobs that are attractive to post-graduates to try and diminish the brain drain that plagues Arizona. If all goes well, do you guys think there is potential for them to expand in the future by either adding or moving other (hopefully higher-paying) services here?

I guess it makes sense for this particular kind of job to go into a suburban location, but I do wish that there was more of an emphasis placed on creating employment hubs instead of allowing it to continually sprawl based on cheap land - from Chandler's Price Corridor to Desert Ridge's Biomedical Campus that the mayor keeps unfortunately touting the potential of. It's unfortunate that
Downtown Phoenix never seems to be a player when new names come to town, and the mayor (and everyone with a part in shaping our economy through luring business from out of state - ACA, Brewer, etc.) really needs to get it back in the game and understand why a Desert Ridge Biomedical Campus win is less beneficial for Phoenix than downtown when looking at the big picture.

In the meantime, it's obvious employment will continue to be attracted toward East Valley cities, so hopefully they'll at least go for Chandler and Tempe, the two landlocked options. I'm glad Tempe was able to land USA Place and State Farm for downtown, as it seemed like they had abandoned the area for quite a while in favor of areas like Fountainhead and their piece of Price, as buildings like Gateway sat empty forever and 14-story structures were being constructed along the Broadway curve. I hope the momentum continues, because they could lead the way in keeping our educated post-grad population here given ASU's presence. Getting more names to invest along the lake or down Ash would be amazing, and while I continue to question some of their choices when it comes to transit and residential planning, I do think they are actively trying to get it right and have the most faith in them to be able to handle that kind of growth in a way we would all say is ideal and "urban."

Chandler, on the other hand, could learn a thing or two. The Price Corridor might be their employment "hub," but there's nothing centralized or condensed about it. Is there zoning for any kind of dense, multifamily residential in that area at least? I assume a rail transit system in Chandler that is robust enough to connect the corridor to their downtown, residential areas, and to Mesa light rail isn't even worth thought? It seems like Chandler is so proud of its downtown, it's a shame they won't treat it like an urban center instead of just a quaint Main St.

Rant over.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 5:11 AM
Skyriser

I seriously can't believe I had to delete the above crap: outright hostility to forumers, nitpicking on the definition of some 90 cent word.

If you are somehow unable to discuss Southeast Valley Development News without resorting to this sort of petty behavior, don't post.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 7:57 PM

Sheraton hotel being built near new Cubs stadium in Mesa

Quote:
A Sheraton hotel will be built in the commercial area near the Chicago Cubs' new spring training complex in Mesa.

The Mesa City Council unanimously approved a plan Thursday to build a full-service hotel with 175 rooms and a 12,000-square-foot conference center.

Cubs Park is a 15,000-seat baseball stadium that will host its first Cactus League game on Feb. 27.

The complex includes four baseball fields. Mesa expects to add several mixed-use athletic fields next year.

The city has spent more than $100 million in voter-approved funds for the park and baseball complex.

Mesa officials plan to hold a grand opening for the stadium and park on Jan. 25.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:56 PM

Gotta love how Mesa's Planning and Zoning Board seems to think it's still the 1950's around here...heaven forbid we try to allow for development that gives people the option to not drive everywhere, if they so choose.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...-says/8141597/

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 4:10 PM
skyscrapers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsRider View Post
Gotta love how Mesa's Planning and Zoning Board seems to think it's still the 1950's around here...heaven forbid we try to allow for development that gives people the option to not drive everywhere, if they so choose.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...-says/8141597/
It was the opinion of one person. Unfortunately, in true fashion of the Arizona Republic, the story is incomplete and one sided.

I do agree that it is foolish for anyone to believe that Mesa will be anything but the auto centric city it is. Ever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest