HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 11:15 PM

Vancouver Needs a Brooklyn, and New West Could Be It

"Vancouver Needs a Brooklyn, and New West Could Be It
Why I'm glad I made a creative decision to move from East Van."

By Keith MacKenzie, Yesterday, TheTyee.ca

http://thetyee.ca/Life/2012/05/05/Ne...lyn/index.html

Very interesting article in the Tyee.... The more I think about the more it makes sense.... New West has a beautiful DT core and a lot going for it although I must admit I have not spent much time there.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 12:02 AM
See ya down under, mates

Meh. New West seems like all it has going for it is low prices and skytrain. Nothing wrong with that, but I hate the idea of living in a neighbourhood that is in the middle of massive amounts of commuters.

Quote:
In fact, she adds, "New West is attractive because it's one of the few areas outside downtown Vancouver with a sense of history. There are a few more areas scattered around the region -- lower Lonsdale, Annieville, Steveston, Fort Langley, Cloverdale.

"But," Bula continues, "New West is closer and not so suburban feeling as North Van.
I'm always blown away by this "North Van is far away" attitude. Lower Lonsdale is way closer to downtown than New West - even by car (less than 15km/20 minutes).

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Meh. New West seems like all it has going for it is low prices and skytrain. Nothing wrong with that, but I hate the idea of living in a neighbourhood that is in the middle of massive amounts of commuters.

I'm always blown away by this "North Van is far away" attitude. Lower Lonsdale is way closer to downtown than New West - even by car (less than 15km/20 minutes).
Yeah but if you ever try to get across the lions gate bridge during rush hour it seems like another planet

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 1:35 AM
See ya down under, mates

I've given up on Lions Gate. Second Narrows is faster.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 1:47 AM

North Van does feel more suburban. This has nothing to do with distance. The reference to New West being closer was probably in relation to the other examples.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Meh. New West seems like all it has going for it is low prices and skytrain. Nothing wrong with that, but I hate the idea of living in a neighbourhood that is in the middle of massive amounts of commuters..
All New West needed to do in the past is provide a few major arterial roads to funnel traffic through the town and onto Burnaby/Coquitlam. Instead, they make every single road as difficult as possible to drive through, and have people driving down local roads everywhere trying to short cut.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 3:59 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
This has nothing to do with distance. The reference to New West being closer was probably in relation to the other examples.
You're making a lot of assumptions about a pretty clear statement.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 4:14 AM

Have taken a number of tours of New West in the past year-it's problems are deep & everlasting.

Ridding the downtown of that hideous federal building and the ancient parking garages would be just the beginning.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 4:29 AM

Surrey's problems are deep and everlasting. New West has so much potential, I'm not sure how you could not see that. Matter of opinion I guess.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 4:35 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I agree that New West has lots of potential. It's small though, it's already getting expensive new condos, and the supply of old buildings is limited. It's not an East Van replacement.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 5:04 AM

there aren't that many commuters - my office used to be on columbia street in new west before they made all the street changes and it was fine - no worse than marine drive bombing through lower lonsdale

its the only area in the LM outside of downtown vancouver that feels like a city

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 8:14 AM

All the above statements are pretty right-on, IMO. Just one problem though. People from Brooklyn talk with a Brooklyn accent. What about the New Westminster accent? (we'll have to develop one.... naah, what's up, doc?)

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
All New West needed to do in the past is provide a few major arterial roads to funnel traffic through the town and onto Burnaby/Coquitlam. Instead, they make every single road as difficult as possible to drive through, and have people driving down local roads everywhere trying to short cut.
I've been hoping that the new Pattullo Bridge would connect more directly to McBride, and the north end of McBride gets extended into a new tunnel under Newcombe Street so that the commuter traffic on McBride has direct access to the TCH, and near-direct access to Gaglardi Way.

Unfortunately, crossing 10th Ave means you're in Burnaby, so now there are two cities with their NIMBY's having various reasons why it CAN'T be done.

Of course, the BC Libs could just use their powers to "Git Er Dun", but they don't wanna PO any voters before the next election.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post

Surrey's problems are deep and everlasting. New West has so much potential, I'm not sure how you could not see that. Matter of opinion I guess.
Poor New Westminster-so close to Surrey so far from God (apologies to Porfirio Diaz)

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:02 PM

Arrow photo request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
Poor New Westminster-so close to Surrey so far from God (apologies to Porfirio Diaz)

.... perhaps Surrey can repent and change ... regarding New Westminster, there are some streets near Queen's Park, with fabulous, unmolested heritage homes. If anybody can take on the idea of doing a photo series on that, it might be inspiring.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:33 PM

I don't see how this became a Surrey debate yet again on these forums. We're talking about New West.

I like New West but I'm not as sold on this 'potential' just like I wouldn't be sold on saying regionally White Rock has a lot of potential. You're talking about 15 square KM of space in New West the majority of which is fully developed.

Does it have some potential and areas where things could be really improved? Absolutely. But it won't be hugely drastic unless they completely change their water front and get rid of all the railroad tracks, just because of space constraints. People seem to not realize Brooklyn is about 251 square KM in contrast and has a higher population than all of Metro Vancouver.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion