HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:04 PM

Byline (1400 NE Multnomah) | 75' | 6 floors | Dead

Hello - 980 unit by Holst on the Regal Lloyd Center 10 parking lot. From this week's metro reports.

Quote:
15-167229-000-00-EA 1510 NE MULTNOMAH ST, 97232

DA - Design Advice Request 5/8/15

A three-building mixed use development containing 980 units of market rate housing, as well as retail and community spaces. Structured parking (873 spaces) included.

Applicant:
DAVID OTTE
110 SE 8TH AVE
PORTLAND, OR 97214

Owner: CAPREF LLOYD CENTER LLC
2201 LLOYD CENTER
PORTLAND, OR 97232-1315

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Hello - 980 unit by Holst on the Regal Lloyd Center 10 parking lot. From this week's metro reports.
Thank god. This is such good news.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Thank god. This is such good news.
Amen!!!

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:05 PM

Wow - What a pleasant surprise! Many here had talked about the underutilization of that block, but I did not expect a development opportunity so quickly. In perspective, the 1510 developer is proposing only 50 units less than AAT on the Oregon Square project (980 v. 1030). That is amazing. Maximum heights on that parking lot is 225 feet, including bonuses.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:24 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Wow indeed! Nearly a thousand more units on the way for Lloyd! It's funny how, in a recent thread about the MAX, somebody talked about wanting to get rid of that MAX stop. It's already super busy, and adding a thousand apartments is just going to make it more busy.

Hopefully, this will be good for Holloday Park. The lack of life there outside of mall hours makes the park pretty sketchy.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:39 PM

I was just thinking about this site a few days ago and what a waste of space it was.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:48 PM

Wow! And designed by Holst! Those guys and WPA are raking in the projects right now.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 1:38 AM

I did not catch that Holst would be the architects. I encourage everyone to go to their website and look at their portfolio. Very impressive, very northwest. Ups the excitement just that much - can't wait to see what they propose. The trees of Hollady Park will make such a great backdrop to this development, and the north / south views will be protected by the gulch and mall for a very long time, if not in perpetuity.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 4:02 PM

David Otte - the applicant - is a partner at Holst

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 4:52 PM

While I am happy for this project, the fact that they have to build a 873 space garage to support the movie theater is crazy when there is a mall with a ton of parking across the street. They should have kept the movie theater inside the mall and knocked down the one across the street. That way, you'd have an even larger development project.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
While I am happy for this project, the fact that they have to build a 873 space garage to support the movie theater is crazy when there is a mall with a ton of parking across the street. They should have kept the movie theater inside the mall and knocked down the one across the street. That way, you'd have an even larger development project.
I believe the theatre in the mall is closing/closed, the one across the street is to be demolished, to be replaced by the new development. The garage is for the new development, which will also consume the existing theatre's parking lot.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 7:20 PM

Cutting down on the movie-going options for the inner city, but a much better use of that block for certain. Sounds like the mall operator and the city are looking at revising the park as well.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 7:25 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I didn't realize Lloyd Center is losing BOTH theaters - the ones inside the mall, and the ones across the street from the mall. That's certainly surprising. Are the theaters outside the mall losing money? I'm surprised there's been no talk of turning the old Nordstrom space into new theaters. It seems strange to see so many theaters closing. That can't be good for the future of the mall. In this era of dying malls, the movie theaters were still a draw.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNative View Post
I did not catch that Holst would be the architects. I encourage everyone to go to their website and look at their portfolio. Very impressive, very northwest. Ups the excitement just that much - can't wait to see what they propose. The trees of Hollady Park will make such a great backdrop to this development, and the north / south views will be protected by the gulch and mall for a very long time, if not in perpetuity.
I for one certainly hope we don't "preserve" the north views in perpetuity. There are, at the very least, lots of surface lots that can become high rise housing and mixed use office and retail. Once they start recouping money by developing the parking lots (as they seem to be doing with the movie theater) they can reassess if they want to demolish the super block behemoth of the mall.

I think we are witnessing a strategic investment in the area that involves an understanding that malls are dying. Eventually, I hope this whole area is cosumed by mid rise and high rise buildings with a vibrant and narrow street life for transit and human modes. Lots of homage to fine grain development while stepping back on huge squares (they're already happening) will be an important part.

My only concern is the mention of how much parking will be included. Is this being induced by zoning? Or is the developer deciding this? We need to tell them to kill off a lot of that parking to encourage other modes. ALL these developments are going in near MAX, streetcar, bike, ped, and central city. They don't need so many car stalls.

I'm excited, even if the parking is fumbled. The Lloyd is on it's way to becoming a second downtown. I am hoping there is a continued push to get Gateway/205 to start jumping because it is at the nexus of the green, blue, and red lines.

This bodes well for Portland. I think peacemeal development, with ADUs and tiny house can consume some of the need for density in our old bungalow suburbs. Portland is going to become sort of a ring, with tendrils of mid density along corridors with hopefully streetcars/MAX in the future.

The goal should be to push density in places that aren't considered terribly historic. East Portland could become a very dense and desired location while also maintaining affordability. So could Clackamas.

We need to resist the desire to expand any highway infrastructure, and only increase density and beef up transit/bike/ped infrastructure to compensate. Cars must pay their way in higher gas tax/mile traveled tax/tolls, anything. They don't pay enough to compensate the lifestyle of sprawl they are tied to.

We must not expand the urban growth boundary. This is how we will become world class.

These are interesting first steps in the Lloyd district! Any thoughts on them potentially systematically killing off the mall in a controlled way? I think it's going to become something very interesting and less super-blocky, soon.

Hooray!

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 5:11 PM

More info in today's Oregonian from Elliot Njus.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...t_mega-de.html

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 10:42 PM
BANNED

With this development I figure the tower or towers will atleast be 20 stories high. Plus the second phase that's being built on the AAT project I kid you not the Llyod district skyline will rival downtowns. Crazy

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 2:04 AM
Karma Police

First of all, great news about developing this parking lot.

However, I don't think 873 parking spaces is excessive for 980 housing units. Especially when that includes parking for the commercial parts of the development.

Also, nowhere have I seen (except the misleading title of the Business Journal article) where they said the Regal was going to be demolished. If there's going to be theatres in the new development, it seems pretty wasteful to tear down perfectly good (and profitable) theatres just to rebuild them again. The BJ article merely refers to the much more in depth Oregonian article, which simply states that the developers are buying the theatre AND its massive 4-block parking lot. Nobody said the theatre was being demolished.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 8:03 AM

Is the theater really going to be torn down? I am almost positive I saw maccoinnich post a design review PDF or something on the plans to renovate it into office space.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:52 PM

That would have been for the other Regal cinema, in the mall itself. Despite much speculation, nobody outside of the project team knows if the theater is staying or going. Regal don't own the property, so it's possible they'll continue to operate as tenants. It's certainly feasible to build the number of units they're talking about using only the parking lot.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 1:09 AM

This is fantastic news! I've long hated that parking crater. Also, I'm glad to see that theater go. It's ugly and has absolutely horrible street presence with that stupid colonnade. Wonder if they'll try to put a theater inside the new development somewhere. The amount of parking proposed is sad for 21st century Portland. As for the theater inside the mall, that's already been closed for a while.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland