HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Not sure if Willy is the MOP this year but the only other Bomber I think deserves serious consideration is Hajrullahu. Both were a significant improvement over the players we ended last season with.
Should be considered as well when looking at the team overall.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 9:23 PM

I thought my last post in this thread was over for the season..I was wrong...

Rejoice...It's back for 2015..+ (something about ticket renewals..)

Video Link

Suck up now to fans..start early..

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...ce=d-top-story

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 9:39 PM

Valiant effort by the Blue. But telling people they're allowed to do it is a bit of a cop out IMO. Just like the "ban the cow bell" fiasco. Just an overall blunder by the club. Personally, I don't think the beer snake should be allowed. See all the flying cups in that video. The original was pretty cool though. One time we almost had it up to the second deck in the old place. Now wouldn't that have been something! IIRC, the cups couldn't handle the long, unbraced stack. yeah I'm in that video somewhere.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 9:55 PM

I use this concept and technique all the time in many situations, misdirection.

See the the beer cup in my hand, look at that snake..cool..meanwhile the Elephant in the room.(sad sack team), disapears? Houdini was great at this.

Same concept with the BB. They have to get season ticket sales up or it could be a very poor year fiscally for the club. Expect more misdrection in the near future.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 10:06 PM

My thinking back in the day of the beer snake is that management crushed it not out of concern over a true safety issue but rather the number of cups needed compared to the number of fans in the section suggested that over service was occurring. With beers now $10 each sales across the board have likely declined and "the return of the beer snake" is likely in part an effort to increase sales at the game.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 10:09 PM

And the beer snake usually reared it's head in the 4th quarter when the Blue were in the tank. If it was a good game, didn't happen. They also changed the cups back then to a normal clear, smooth plastic cup. In retaliation to the snake, they were un-snakable. So when stacked, the snake would only grow by the thickness of the rim. So virtually nothing. The beer snakes were with the opaque plastic cups that had a big ridge on it. So the cups stacked nicely, and grew by over an inch with each cup. I think they still serve the shittier cups.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
My thinking back in the day of the beer snake is that management crushed it not out of concern over a true safety issue but rather the number of cups needed compared to the number of fans in the section suggested that over service was occurring. With beers now $10 each sales across the board have likely declined and "the return of the beer snake" is likely in part an effort to increase sales at the game.
Beer is King at sporting events $$$$. Could be one way to increase sales.
The club has to really put on their thinking caps to bring in the revenue with a potential dramatic loss in ticket sales due to the clubs on field performance.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 1:25 AM

The club banned something as harmless and fun as a beer cup snake? wow. I wonder how the Bombers feel about beer being served in cans at mosaic in Regina? Even after the BC lions were pelted with a barrage of beer cans a few years back, after Rob Murphy got pissed at a fan and threw something in the stands, beer is still served in weaponized can format. The entire BC bench had to run on the field to avoid getting beaned and delayed the game. And still, beer is served in projectile cans. At least you can't build a snake out of cans.

On a side note - good job Bombers on beating Calgary!!!! woohooo!!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 3:37 PM

BTW - You can buy beer in cans at IGF.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 4:00 PM

Yeah, in varying sizes of cans. My girlfriend bought some kind of cooler, thinking it would be in a normal size can. She paid $9 for a 200ml can. Not impressed!

I wonder how season tix will do next year. I know some people who are not renewing. On the flip side. Things were looking better this year for the Blue, minus the 7-8 game losing streak. Let's get some lineman this offseason and things should be better.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 4:36 PM

Quote:
BTW - You can buy beer in cans at IGF.
Thank goodness. Bombers have really upped their game with the food/drink service at IGF.

I really didn't drink much beer at CanadInns because in the east side upper deck where I sat, there was one table with one person slowly pouring beers one at at time.... it took forever. These days, the beer line moves much faster when all you have to do is crack open a tall boy and take a tenner. Not sure why it took so long for them to make this revolutionary move in beverage service...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 10:26 PM

Drew Willy - MOP, go figure.

Lirim Hajrullahu - Top rookie, top Canadian, Top special teams player.

Glenn January -OL

Maurice Leggett - Top defensive player

Your nominees for the named West Division all-stars

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 9:21 PM

Just read on the Bomber forum that one of the 2015 Grey Cup seating options are the temporary skyview seats - $175. Term skyview doesn't conjure up images of temp seats directly behind the 100 level endzone seats on the main concourse.

Maybe a good portion of these seats will be located on the rooftop patio, the roof of the Bomber offices in the south endzone, and the roof of the concessions and Bomber Shop in the north endzone?

Or maybe they will construct some elevated stands outside the stadium in the both endzones as has been speculated here in the past?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Or maybe they will construct some elevated stands outside the stadium in the both endzones as has been speculated here in the past?
The stadium has always been held out as being temporarily expandable to about 40,000 seats... I don't know how they could possibly attain that figure without some sort of temporary grandstands in the endzones.

Frankly I have no idea how that's going to work given that it would probably cut down concourse space in a stadium where the concourses seem badly congested, but I can't imagine that they won't max out seating capacity for the Grey Cup.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 9:28 PM

As some have mentioned here. Concourse would be reduced for sure. But maybe they will only allow the temp seating fans to use concessions, etc on the outside of the stadium. Grey Cup 98 I sat in the temp end zone seats. And IIRC you couldn't access the main concourses. There were port a potties and such under the temp stands or behind them in the practice field. I was young at that time so maybe I didn't notice.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:03 PM

Apparently more issues coming out today with IG Field. Not sure if it's lawsuits from previous things, or other things finally coming out. Gary lawless posted that on the Twitter.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:05 PM

I see now Kives saying BBB stadium is going to sue architects and contractor for lack of insulation, drainage, and concrete fixes. BBB spent $4.7m on fixes to date. Concrete concourses will be torn up and replaced next winter.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:27 PM

All the concourses other than the east side are at least partially over operational spaces. I wonder if tearing up the concrete is to help facilitate insulating those spaces.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:39 PM

yup.. I could never believe the amount of cracks on the concourse floors the few times i've been there! was wondering if anything was gonna come of that. now I know.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:47 PM

Here's the full laundry list of alleged deficiencies from the Statement of Claim. I guess in any project of sufficient magnitude you're going to run into a few issues and shortcomings. But even though some of this stuff is tiddlywinks and a matter of one's personal opinion, there are undeniably some major issues in the mix and on the whole it does seem like a bit more than one might reasonably expect.

(a) lack of handicap accessible design relating to door openers and at suite level;

(b) replacement of guard railings in seating areas;

(c) guard rails around roof top equipment lacking;

(d) insufficient field exiting;

(e) water infiltration into private suites;

(f) water infiltration from North and South video board steel structure;

(g) contractors’ construction deficiency list items not completed;

(h) East crawlspace not backfilled;

(i) gate canopy drainage issues;

(j) rainwater leader drainage piping connection failures;

(k) water migrating into the facility due to a compromised building envelope;

(l) water ponding on the North and South Concourse areas;

(m) extensive Concourse slab cracking;

(n) heating and insulation issues:

(i) inadequate design to maintain original design temperature of 10 degrees Celsius in suite levels year-round;

(ii) lack of thermal insulation, thermal break, and weather proofing of suite level;

(iii) lack of suitable thermal insulation throughout (Administrative Building north wall, Administrative Building Floor, Pinnacle Club);

(iv) lack of enclosure of the East crawlspace under the Administrative Building resulting in a cold floor slab throughwinter;

(v) lack of heat in all mechanical, sprinkler and electrical rooms that function through all four seasons;

(vi) lack of heat in concession area for cold weather operational use;

(vii) lack of weather stripping of all doors;

(viii) lack of heat tracing on piping exposed to freezing (sprinklers, water and drainage);

(ix) inadequate Administrative Building HVAC controls, air distribution, heat, and cooling;

(x) inadequate consideration of mechanical systems winterization design for entire facility;

(o) lack of structural design capacity of Concourse slabs to satisfy venue requirements for operational loading;

(p) lack of positive floor system drainage to internal floor drains (Training Room);

(q) imbedded stair nosings’ design/installation poorly resolved;

(r) poor coordination of building services - exit corridor in the basement required the addition of a rated ceiling;

(s) extensive sidewalk settlement around the perimeter of the facility;

(t) water in “dry” pits housing backwater valves causing rusting of valves;

(u) mould issues due to water migration into walls;

(v) dangerous ice accumulation on sunshades;

(w) no all-weather route past truck access to field due to inadequate clearance in original design;

(x) exterior finishes subject to vandalism damage;

(y) no access ladders to upper roof canopy hatches;

(z) exposed steel not painted or sealed;

(aa) sprinkler system design type for suite levels unsuitable due to lack of heat;

(bb) lack of fire proofing on the steel structure supporting the Administrative Building roof, South Patio and North Concessions;

(cc) inadequate entrance gate design;

(dd) no hose bibbs in seating sections for pressure washing seats;

(ee) no hose bibbs in landscaping areas;

(ff) no power provided for broadcast trucks;

(gg) inadequate design of domestic hot water boilers requiring early replacement;

(hh) no strainers provided over roof canopy drains and trench drains;

(ii) no internal barrier free route between upper level football offices and lower level football operations;

(jj) Commissary not located in proximity to event areas; no all-weather route between Commissary and event areas on east side of building;

(kk) inadequate storage in building and around site;

(ll) inadequate provision of service elevators;

(mm) weight restrictions on all Concourse levels due to slab design and composition. This limits weight and amount of product and weight that can be moved around stadium, a problem for moving kegs of beer for instance. Man lifts and equipment. are limited in their capacity;

(nn) no incoming internal material handling and storage area was provided;

(oo) poor layout of dock scissor lift controls; and

(pp) no barrier free route from parking to Administrative Building entrance;
(collectively the “Deficiencies”)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan