HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The city lacks people of action, if people stood up to the minority causing the problems in the beginning there wouldn't of been a riot. Not everyone is capable of confronting others, and that's fine. Then those people should've gone home and not provided an audience to the hooligans and would've allowed the police to intervene easier.
I'm sure someone will say well at least some bystanders provided video which helped capture the hooligans... that's a point but we'd still have been better off if the riot was never allowed to get to that stage.
I wonder if the police reaction would be different if we were to see this happen again soon.

I'd rather be listening to the BCCLA crying about police abuse than have this expensive ongoing circus.

I can't think of a country in the world where people would be allowed to behave that way for that long without real police intervention.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 3:51 PM
Community Guy

People need to be accountable for their actions, mob or not. Simply inexcusable. I enjoy my beverages but don't fight, burn things down, hit innocent people or break into things. During the Oilers run to the cup I was on Whyte and enjoyed the festivities immensely without needing to smash shop windows, break mirrors off of cars or start fires.

If anything he should accept his sentence and work double hard to show that IT WAS only a momentary lack of judgement and not a true reflection of his character. For me, THAT would be convincing enough that he is worth a look at medical school entrance etc.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 9:26 PM

breaking rules is perfect for a creative profession, but i'm not sure if it looks good otherwise...he was a mindless young ass who should be forgiven

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 9:44 PM
Community Guy

Owning up for something and serving your penalty shows much more character.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
People need to be accountable for their actions, mob or not. Simply inexcusable. I enjoy my beverages but don't fight, burn things down, hit innocent people or break into things. During the Oilers run to the cup I was on Whyte and enjoyed the festivities immensely without needing to smash shop windows, break mirrors off of cars or start fires.

If anything he should accept his sentence and work double hard to show that IT WAS only a momentary lack of judgement and not a true reflection of his character. For me, THAT would be convincing enough that he is worth a look at medical school entrance etc.
Wasn't there a small riot when the Oilers won game 5 against the Ducks to advance to the Stanley Cup Finals?

That said, nothing to the scale of Vancouver's riot, and they didn't riot when they lost the Cup.

Some poor guy lost his truck because of this d*****bag.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 10:40 PM
Community Guy

^there was a lot of asshead douchebaggery during the run... relatively small group but there was. Charges were laid.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 11:54 PM
Be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The city lacks people of action, if people stood up to the minority causing the problems in the beginning there wouldn't of been a riot.
I really disagree here. People who had the courage to stand up to the mobs got punished with violence. It is not a citizens job to fight off a mob, it is the Police's, which they failed miserably at.

Some friends of mine were caught up in some of the destruction, but far from intentionally. They were trying to get out of downtown, but the Police were trapping them in to certain areas, and they couldn't with ease. They ended being in an area that was pepper sprayed with no warning before being able to escape the madness.

So it's all well and good to blame people for being bystanders, but there's quite a lot more to it. The people to blame are the people who committed riot-related crimes, and especially the Police.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
WTF dude? Are you serious? Frankly, with that attitude, I'd be inclined to say you didn't turn out OK.
that was funny, but his mindset is open. we shouldnt be closed to tings like this, perhaps this has a good end to it, it shows that people in vancouver are ready for war, say stand in defense of canada when there is an invasion from the most "powerful country in the universe". this shit shows that canadians are not a bunch of smiling friendly people who r afraid to fight. i think he was one of the greatest leaders if not a symbolic hero to show case the will and power of canadians who were willingly to use violence against a potential invader. didn't this man and others showcased some power and will in vancouver...let's give the riot an applause for that sake.

Last edited by vansky; Feb 1, 2013 at 2:50 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 2:07 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Conga View Post
I really disagree here. People who had the courage to stand up to the mobs got punished with violence. It is not a citizens job to fight off a mob, it is the Police's, which they failed miserably at.
Most of the people that stood up to the mob did not get punished with violence they were instead greeted to cheers by their fellow citizens most of which were to scared to get involved themselves. I did my part and the the only punishment was the to the idiots breaking windows. I agree it's not citizens jobs to fight off a mob, it's also not their job to start a riot. If they aren't a part of the riot they should leave and allow the police to move in. The police were somewhat limited in their ability to act because of the crowd of citizens not rioting but loitering. Police weren't going to fire tear gas into a crowd of mostly innocents to disperse some rioters, they also were unable to push past thousands to get to the several dozen causing the issues.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 4:31 AM
Be nice.

I agree on most points. However, I do not agree that a few brave citizens could have stopped the riot. Some people were set on a riot taking place, and that is for the Police to be prepared for, and sort out.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion