HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
This is a pretty outstanding development. I think about driving by this location on 565 and gargantuan is pretty much the only word that comes to mind to describe it...

Source: WAFF
It reminds me of East Chase in Montgomery.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 11:07 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Marriott row downtown
With the exception of the Embassy Suite and Homewood Suites, Marriott will be the dominate hotel downtown after the currently announced and existing hotels are finished. At City Centre you will have AC Hotel and Residence Inn across from the Embassy. A few blocks west at Constellation is the current Springhill Suites and most likely the second hotel will be Courtyard.
A better option and diversity would be ALOFT. Would be nice if they would locate maybe more toward the Avenue development.
What's missing?..a high rise convention hotel across from the VBC on top of the existing parking deck with additional retail facing Big Spring. (Think Hyatt Regency)

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Marriott row downtown
With the exception of the Embassy Suite and Homewood Suites, Marriott will be the dominate hotel downtown after the currently announced and existing hotels are finished. At City Centre you will have AC Hotel and Residence Inn across from the Embassy. A few blocks west at Constellation is the current Springhill Suites and most likely the second hotel will be Courtyard.
A better option and diversity would be ALOFT. Would be nice if they would locate maybe more toward the Avenue development.
What's missing?..a high rise convention hotel across from the VBC on top of the existing parking deck with additional retail facing Big Spring. (Think Hyatt Regency)
The city spoke about a convention hotel and yet has made a move on it. I guess it'll come eventually but Height Matters!!!

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:24 PM

Town Madison Videos

Several videos of Town Madison areas are available at https://vimeo.com/user66176745. They have some fly through renderings that are interesting.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSMadison View Post
Several videos of Town Madison areas are available at https://vimeo.com/user66176745. They have some fly through renderings that are interesting.
Looks good. Just hope the hotels are taller than 4 stories.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:54 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSHSV View Post
Looks good. Just hope the hotels are taller than 4 stories.
Gonna be a Home2 Suites. So... not likely to be very tall, sadly. LINK

It is a quality brand, though. Those I've stayed at have been very nice.

However, the article does say that "The Home2 Suites will be first of several planned hotels at the project." So, there's the potential for taller construction.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Gonna be a Home2 Suites. So... not likely to be very tall, sadly. LINK

It is a quality brand, though. Those I've stayed at have been very nice.

However, the article does say that "The Home2 Suites will be first of several planned hotels at the project." So, there's the potential for taller construction.
After watching the videos, I am thinking they are going to make this pretty cookie cutter. I don't see anything that is going to set it apart from bridge street other than the housing component.. Something with this kind of scope should be thinking about any part of this development that doesn't have a large format retail building should have housing on top of the retail (ie nail salons, restaurants).. with that being said, I am kinda disappointed with the massing of the development..

I did read the article about the home2 suites and that is all the way on the other side of the development opposite Zierdt rd. by wall triana.. So, they still could be hope for lots of density with the project.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 8:31 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownhsvguy View Post
After watching the videos, I am thinking they are going to make this pretty cookie cutter. I don't see anything that is going to set it apart from bridge street other than the housing component.. Something with this kind of scope should be thinking about any part of this development that doesn't have a large format retail building should have housing on top of the retail (ie nail salons, restaurants).. with that being said, I am kinda disappointed with the massing of the development..

I did read the article about the home2 suites and that is all the way on the other side of the development opposite Zierdt rd. by wall triana.. So, they still could be hope for lots of density with the project.
much like the Constellation renderings these seem rather off the shelf generic.
More detail is surely to come. Seems they could have been more creative with some of the parking.
Landscaping is minimum, would be nice to have a trolley or shuttle to get from one end to the other.
I-565 traffic will get a good view of loading docks, dumpsters and kids on smoke break

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
much like the Constellation renderings these seem rather off the shelf generic.
More detail is surely to come. Seems they could have been more creative with some of the parking.
Landscaping is minimum, would be nice to have a trolley or shuttle to get from one end to the other.
I-565 traffic will get a good view of loading docks, dumpsters and kids on smoke break
The Brick in the video in the middle of the walkways looks like a trolley or train. I'm sure they wouldn't have this massive development without it.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 12:23 AM
America's Mars Rocket

A few AC Hotel tidbits, bids have been received
Anticipated construction start is June 12, 2017
Grand opening is anticipated to be October 2018

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 9:19 PM

New shooting range coming to town. Leeman Ferry and Johnson Road. Not to hurt their business, but maybe the city should turn Muni Golf Course into a large shooting sports area...

http://www.bulletandbarrel.com/

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 12:03 PM

Casual Pint coming to Providence

https://www.facebook.com/casualpinthsv

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownhsvguy View Post
Actually, there will be housing on top of the retail. If you read the first article which came out on May 17th, it specifically states in the article in the third paragraph: "The first phase of construction includes 280 units to be located in a four-story facility with elevators and high-end amenities within the mixed-use retail portion of Town Madison. Breland expects more apartments will follow on other sites within the property" Here is a link to the whole article: http://www.alabamaoasis.com/luxury-a...dison-project/

In general, I think it is unrealistic to believe that all of the videos on the Town Madison website will be the final product. For example, they show what looks like the distinctive sign for a Best Buy, however, I'm not sure that BB will want to pay the higher rent to be in a new development like TM when they are in an older building, now.

Also, there have been complaints about all of the surface parking lots. Keep in mind that while everyone would prefer a garage like Bridge Street and Parkway Place, they are expensive to build and are built out of necessity due to a scarcity of land. In fact, the garage at Bridge Street has a higher tax value than the Belk Department Store it services. Parkway Place is land locked and they had to build the garage to accommodate the small area of land they occupy.

By contrast, TM has over 500 acres of land in a suburban setting and is located about 3 miles from the end of the developed area (County Line Road). So, with plenty of land, there isn't the necessity of building expensive garages. However, overall, it will be of a much higher density than any of the adjacent developments like Mountain Brook and Edgewater. If you look at the video for The Commons, it will probably be the largest high density development in the HSV metro area. The Heights will most likely be able to make a similar claim.

Finally, because Breland's name is associated with it, I think a lot of posters here expect that the housing will look like a Breland Homes (now D.R. Horton Homes) subdivision. That is not likely, as he has said that the homes will look like that found at Westhaven, a high end development on the west side of Franklin, TN. Andres Duany is designing the overall development with Steve Mouxon being the architect - I could never see them signing their names to a mediocre run of the mill, Breland Homes development.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 6:04 PM

I think a lot of peoples hang ups are on the fact that 1. this was billed as a truly transformative project on the best developable land in the southeast (Breland's words) 2. this is truly Madison's last big opportunity to create a signature development that adds a much needed tax base.

I have no doubt the residential portions will be on par with Providence or Hampstead in Montgomery as long as DPZ and Mouzon are involved. I do worry if it takes 10 years + to really come alive like Providence, if Breland will have the patience to see it through and not panic and build houses that he knows will sell. I am not sold on the commercial development though.

But, I will try to hold off any real judgments and give them the benefit of the doubt that everyone involved knows what they are doing.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 11:10 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Northern Tool & Equipment planning store on Governor's West facing I-565. A chain carrying a vast selection of tools & equipment for do-it-yourself & construction projects. They also have a large online and catalog business.There used to be a little church in that location until it was recently razed. There are nearby stores in Hoover, Chattanooga, and Murfreesboro TN.
FYI The Tennessean reports IKEA will announce plans Thursday for a new retail store off Interstate 24 in Antioch TN a Nashville suburb.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 11:23 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:

The existing Whole Foods is the store in the distance. This view is looking north
Demolition of existing building and construction set to begin..
A groundbreaking ceremony will be held June 27 at the project, which is being developed by Huntsville-based RCP Companies doing business as Arora Properties. The site will be home to Chuy's and ULTA Beauty in 2018 at the southwest corner of Bob Wallace Avenue and Memorial Parkway.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Demolition of existing building and construction set to begin..
A groundbreaking ceremony will be held June 27 at the project, which is being developed by Huntsville-based RCP Companies doing business as Arora Properties. The site will be home to Chuy's and ULTA Beauty in 2018 at the southwest corner of Bob Wallace Avenue and Memorial Parkway.
Aww, man. They aren't going to get rid of that glass building between the mall and the new development?

Last edited by ThatGuy; May 31, 2017 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 10:50 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Aww, man. They aren't going to get rid of that glass building between the mall and the new development?
No, the entrance road will run behind it

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 9:04 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Town Madison effect? Maybe.. a new Fairfield Inn is going in at the intersection of Hughes and Madison Blvd next to the ABC store (south side of Madison Blvd).
Hughes road is suppose to be extended over I-565 into Town Madison/Zierdt Road someday so maybe this is in anticipation of that.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 1:43 AM

https://www.vonbrauncenter.com/expansion/

Pretty big VBC expansion proposal. Hits on some missing venue needs. It also looks like they are betting on the Pinhook creek redevelopment happening soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast