HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 11:03 PM

Toronto's poverty problem

Have any of you seen the riding stats for the Ontario election?

One thing that stands out is how poor the City of Toronto is compared to the outter suburbs. I have brought this up before I know. But I think this is a sad trend, that Toronto is poorer while the outter areas are getting richer.

We are starting to see the kind of segregation of incomes that we did not see in the 416. In the 416 the inner city and suburbs always mixed incomes and seemed to keep the old city pretty equal with the suburbs on income levels.

But now that has gone out the door with the 905.

Your views on this? Do you think this is an issue? Do you think Toronto residents are just fine and that the lower median incomes just points to the more mixed incomes in Toronto compared to the 905 which does not support low income residents?
Why has Toronto gone poor? Most of the city is normal middle class suburbs that at one time housed the equal to what 905 families today are.

It is pretty bad, that most ridings in Toronto have median family incomes in the 40,000-50,000 range. While the 905 has almost all their ridings with family incomes above 65,000.

The common thought is that people move to the outter suburbs for cheaper housing. But really, the people living in 905 are so much more well off then 416ers.
Maybe that is why TTC ridership is so high in Toronto. We are to poor to drive.

Anyway lets hear our views on the poor city, rich 905 divide that seems to be happening. And this is not the inner suburbs pulling the incomes down. Inner City Toronto ridings for the most part have the same family income levels as the inner suburbs.

One other thing that stands out is just how much renters Toronto has. Even in the suburban 416 ridings, as much as half of the residents are renters in many areas. This in contrast to the 905 where owners make up as much as 90% of the residents in many ridings.

It should also be noted that in City of Toronto reports the divide between 416 and 905 income levels is listed as an issue, and that the city is getting poorer as the outter regions are getting richer.

Last edited by miketoronto; Sep 20, 2007 at 11:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 11:13 PM
I am a typical

"One thing that stands out is how poor the City of Toronto is compared to the outter suburbs."

Have you been to Kashechewan lately? Aboriginals haven't been mentioned once in this election.

And for the record, Thunder Bay is poorer than Toronto. You aren't the only one with homeless people!

And your grammar is slipping. "We are to poor to drive." To poor? When did poor become a verb? Or for that matter, when did drive become a noun? How, exactly, does one poor to drive?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 11:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Lowest average income in Ontario is......

Hamilton Centre - $33,026

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 11:28 PM
I am a typical

Is that a census tract? Some of Thunder Bay's have average incomes dipping to almost 20,000$.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 11:42 PM

how is toronto centre so low if all the condos are so much? how do people afford to live, eat, shop??? this makes no sense

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 12:12 AM
I am a typical

I figure it's rich people living in the condos, homeless people living in the streets, and no middle between them?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 12:32 AM

Toronto Centre-Rosedale riding has the richest and poorest people in Toronto. So the low income housing in St Jamestown and Moss Park for example bring down the income levels.

Same with my area. My subdivision here in the 416 is pretty much equal with any subdivison in the 905 with families bringing in normal middle class incomes. But the low income housing projects located on the fringe of my neighbourhood, bring down the average.

But still, Toronto on a whole is poorer then the 905 and that is not good that we are not mixing incomes in 905.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 2:49 AM
Hammer'd

Hamilton - low average income, low cost of living
Toronto - low average income, high cost of living

so, where's the money going in the case of Toronto?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 2:49 AM
I am the law!

Not another fucking thread

Like why does it fucking matter if the 905 is richer or why the picket fence, 2.1 children, corner office, white bread, ideallyic hollywood shit means so much to you?

I swear, if you mention Detroit in same breath as Toronto, I'm gonna fuckin' drive up to your parent's house and slap someone which I can only hope is you!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 3:51 AM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
Same with my area. My subdivision here in the 416 is pretty much equal with any subdivison in the 905 with families bringing in normal middle class incomes. But the low income housing projects located on the fringe of my neighbourhood, bring down the average.
I think you just answered your own question. Low income housing projects are virtually non-existant in the 905, Hamilton excluded.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 3:57 AM
Cambridgite

By the way, Miketoronto, it's interesting that you brought it up, since I was in Toronto today and snapped an amazing skyline photo. Here it is...

My goodness. Living conditions are rough when you live on $40-50K per year.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 6:05 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin' View Post
Not another fucking thread

I swear, if you mention Detroit in same breath as Toronto, I'm gonna fuckin' drive up to your parent's house and slap someone which I can only hope is you!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 10:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
By the way, Miketoronto, it's interesting that you brought it up, since I was in Toronto today and snapped an amazing skyline photo. Here it is...

My goodness. Living conditions are rough when you live on $40-50K per year.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Who the hell cares what the average income is per riding anyway?? It's all about sheer numbers of people who live in that riding & diversity. Comparing an inner-city Toronto neighbourhood with a sprawlly McMansion neighbourhood in Vaughan? What's the point of that? SERIOUSLY!

Flickr®

Last edited by Tony; Sep 21, 2007 at 11:26 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 12:00 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Who the hell cares what the average income is per riding anyway?? It's all about sheer numbers of people who live in that riding & diversity. Comparing an inner-city Toronto neighbourhood with a sprawlly McMansion neighbourhood in Vaughan? What's the point of that? SERIOUSLY!
I don't understand your point. We're not supposed to compare different things because they are different? Also, I don't think it can be "about sheer numbers of people who live in" a riding, since ridings by law contain similar "sheer numbers" of people.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 12:25 PM

You can bet income means something. If most of the city is making less money then the suburbs, then our gov is on the hook for more social services, etc.
And a divide is no good, if we are going to start having a city full of poverty and needing social services, while the rich suburbs live the good life.

Everything is related to something else.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 4:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^Indeed. Cosmic radiation from the Eta Carinae star is correlated with the price of beans in Peru. The electron configuration of ear wax is antecedent to the level of homelessness in Navi Mumbai.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 6:07 PM
Hammer'd

I for one am VERY concerned with the price of beans in Peru.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 6:29 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
You can bet income means something. If most of the city is making less money then the suburbs, then our gov is on the hook for more social services, etc.
And a divide is no good, if we are going to start having a city full of poverty and needing social services, while the rich suburbs live the good life.

12 million dollar homes on three acres of property will not generate half the tax revenue as an entry level, mid-rise condominium tower. Neither is there a divide among rich and poor for the vast majority of municipal services and infrastructure as you propose. Sprawlville is hardly sitting pretty paying more tax and getting nothing in return.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 8:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^Indeed. Cosmic radiation from the Eta Carinae star is correlated with the price of beans in Peru. The electron configuration of ear wax is antecedent to the level of homelessness in Navi Mumbai.
mmmm, too true. too true, indeed. but what does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto