HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:01 AM
Meh

Governor's Mansion Restoration Thread

Quote:
PUBLIC SAFETY

Arson suspected in governor's mansion fire
'We're going to come get the person responsible,' state fire marshal says.

By Tony Plohetski, Steven Kreytak and Mike Ward

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, June 09, 2008

State fire officials were viewing hours of security video Sunday night as part of a massive investigation into who set a predawn fire at the Texas Governor's Mansion that sent huge plumes of smoke through downtown and left the 152-year-old building with a partially collapsed roof, blackened windows and fire-charred white columns on its porch.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten.../0609fire.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:11 AM
Meh

Photo from the Austin American-Statesman:

State fire officials were viewing hours of security video Sunday night as part of a massive investigation into who set a predawn fire at the Texas Governor's Mansion that sent huge plumes of smoke through downtown and left the 152-year-old building with a partially collapsed roof, blackened windows and fire-charred white columns.

Laura Skelding AMERICAN-STATESMAN

More photos here:
http://www.statesman.com/ap/mediahub...jsp?tId=110482

This is only after 3 weeks ago when a huge hail storm swept through downtown and Central Austin and busted out a few windows in the Capitol's dome and 15 trees on the Capitol grounds were damaged, 8 were destroyed. Wtf?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:14 AM
Meh

Quote:
PUBLIC SAFETY

Call to restore damaged building has begun
'I can't imagine any expense that shouldn't be spared to restore it,' former Gov. White says.

By Mike Ward

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, June 09, 2008

Even before the smoke cleared Sunday from the four-alarm fire that gutted the Governor's Mansion, support began coalescing across the state to rebuild and restore Texas' most famous house, the longest continuously occupied executive residence west of the Mississippi River.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...09restore.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:21 AM
Meh

Quote:
PUBLIC SAFETY

Texas Governor's Mansion has storied history
Extent of damage shocks many.

By Mike Ward

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Monday, June 09, 2008

As houses go, the grand Governor's Mansion is perhaps the most storied in Texas.

From the 29-foot-tall white columns on its front porch to the hand-hewn pine timbers inside its walls to the upstairs bedroom where Sam Houston once slept, the two-story Greek Revival house across from the Capitol has been an Austin icon for generations, a place where history was made and legends lived.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...09mansion.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:23 AM

I'm at a loss for words.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:44 AM
Meh

I know. I can't believe it. I missed the news today and didn't hear a word about it. Then in the other Austin thread someone mentioned it. I thought it was a joke. But that ghostly picture of it burned out on Austin American-Statesman's website made my heart sink.

Quote:
PUBLIC SAFETY
News of fire draws curious onlookers to mansion
Building a source of pride for Austinites, other Texans.

By Steven Kreytak

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, June 09, 2008

Whether they had worked in the 152-year-old building, attended an event on the manicured grounds or simply enjoyed the view of the regal columns on tours of Austin, people were drawn to Colorado Street on Sunday by the news that fire had ravaged the Governor's Mansion.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...0609scene.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:47 AM
Meh

Quote:
PUBLIC SAFETY

Blaze similar to one at Capitol 25 years ago
1983 fire also threatened to destroy the building.

Sunday, June 08, 2008

By Mike Ward

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Just as Sunday's fire at the Governor's Mansion proved tough to fight, owing to modern alterations to a century-old building, the 1983 blaze that nearly destroyed the Texas Capitol just across the street was eerily similar.
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...pitolfire.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:53 AM
Meh

Quote:
PUBLICE SAFETY

Mansion's designer built many of city's historic buildings
Abner Cook brought Greek Revival to Texas.

By Mike Ward

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Monday, June 09, 2008

Abner Hugh Cook, the master builder who designed and constructed the Governor's Mansion when Texas was only a decade old, loved tall, stately columns, sophisticated detail and a monumentality of form rarely seen on the Texas frontier.
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten.../0609cook.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 2:42 PM
JACKinBeantown

I don't care what your political leanings are, a criminal act of arson does nothing other than cause destruction to a public and historic structure while costing taxpayers' money and releasing smoke into the environment, let alone putting people's lives in danger.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:52 PM

Yeah, this is a complete outrage. They have taken one of our most prized pieces of Texas history. If it were me, the arsonist(s) would be in prison for life, and would first have to work on the building of a new Governor's mansion, be sued for every penny they have earned to this point, and then work their life away to try and repay the state (which is impossible, but they'll die trying).

Hell, I wouldn't be opposed to subjecting them to punishments that would have occurred 152 years ago... tar and feathering, hanging from the yard-arm, slavery, you name it.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 5:55 PM
Squint Like Clint

I am certainly as stunned and outraged as everyone else about this horrible, deliberate an inexcusable act. The aronist(s) should indeed be severely punished. I am just glad that many of the priceless pieces of furniture/furnishings were not in the building and that nobody was hurt. I sure hope they can fully restore this beautiful and priceless piece of Texas architecture and I agree that no expense should be spared in doing so.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 6:16 PM

Sad.... I was so sad when we went to look at it yesterday. The smell was haunting.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:29 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

It is just horrible that somebody would do that.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 12:21 AM
Meh

It really is a huge loss. I heard on the news that the Texas Governor's Mansion is the oldest governor's mansion west of the Mississippi, and the 4th oldest governor's mansion in the country. Huge loss.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 3:06 AM

String 'em up and use 'em as a pinata. While I don't advocate arson, if you are going to commit arson, at least torch something that's ugly and not architecturally or historically significant.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 3:59 AM

so what are the possible charges for this SOB?

just wondering,is vandalizing or destroying a historic object/building/place can get you into more trouble?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 5:12 AM
Meh

Quote:
PUBLIC SAFETY

Video shows someone near Governor's Mansion before fire
DPS officials trying to determine how at least one person might have entered property, and if others are involved.

By Tony Plohetski

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Security video shows a person was on or around the grounds of the Texas Governor's Mansion shortly before a fire swept through the stately home, and authorities said Monday they want to know if others might have been in the area as well.
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten.../0610fire.html

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 5:27 AM
Meh

I'm actually hoping they do restore it. The renovation project was apparently less than half finished.

More from Statesman.com with a list of all the articles, photos and video with interviews and updates.

Texas Governor's Mansion Fire
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...r/mansion.html

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 7:31 PM

This arson comes just days after that damn *-hole Gov Rick Perry went on the news regarding El Dorado and the polygamist sect: "You know, I'm not concerned about the law.....no, I'm not concerned about the fine points of the law, or what it says. I do as I see fit, and that means, doing what needs to be done, regardless of the law."

Ok, Ricky boy. Now you've done it. Someone got fed up of you and your bullying ways. Now, WE are paying the price. Either this was El Dorado related and someone struck back, or this could have been a Drug Cartel. Either way, this was a BOLD statement by someone who has had enough.

You know, 9/11 happened the same way. Piss enough people off, and someone will eventually punch you back. I hate him. I hate him, I hate him, I hate him.........and NO, I didn't do it. I would never burn a piece of Austin because I hate the Governor. I can distinguish between the man, and a piece of history that has nothing to do with his stupidity and arrogance.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTex View Post
This arson comes just days after that damn *-hole Gov Rick Perry went on the news regarding El Dorado and the polygamist sect: "You know, I'm not concerned about the law.....no, I'm not concerned about the fine points of the law, or what it says. I do as I see fit, and that means, doing what needs to be done, regardless of the law."

Ok, Ricky boy. Now you've done it. Someone got fed up of you and your bullying ways. Now, WE are paying the price. Either this was El Dorado related and someone struck back, or this could have been a Drug Cartel. Either way, this was a BOLD statement by someone who has had enough.

You know, 9/11 happened the same way. Piss enough people off, and someone will eventually punch you back. I hate him. I hate him, I hate him, I hate him.........and NO, I didn't do it. I would never burn a piece of Austin because I hate the Governor. I can distinguish between the man, and a piece of history that has nothing to do with his stupidity and arrogance.
I couldn't imagine it being done as a political statement. Everybody in the state knows Perry is out living in Westlake right now cause of the renovations. Yes, Perry is a polarizing figure, but aren't the majority of these arsons started by a firebug or a security guard wanting to be labeled a hero for noticing it?

Can't help but wonder... anybody see Sal Costello or Terri Hall on Saturday night, lol. Actually a bit surprised she hasn't issued a press release yet stating the fire and damage extent was proof that God was anti-toll.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin