HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 10:42 AM

Taiwanese Residences and Houses

i'm starting a new post that specifically deals with residential/housing architecture, either new projects or existing structures, skyscrapers, highrises, low-rises or houses.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 10:42 AM

do you all know about this huge riverside complex they're building in xindian called MeHAS? right in front of the MRT station consisting of 14 towers. there was an article in taipei times last year about this project getting a huge loan by several banks. I hope the final product looks as good as the rendering.

http://www.jsl.com.tw/mehas/index.html

http://housetube.tw/2320/%E6%97%A5%E...B2%B3%E5%B8%82

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 10:43 AM

I think this housing complex is really nice. looks exactly like the type of architecture in southern california. they should build more styles like this:

http://housetube.tw/8897

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 10:44 AM

also very southern californian:

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 10:46 AM

I'm not into those neo-classical european styles but this one is actually one of the better ones I've seen. still a lot of decoration and detailing for my taste, but it overall I think it works. it's actually pretty big inside; the bedrooms are huge even by American standards! must be very expensive.

http://housetube.tw/1038

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 11:04 AM

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 12:41 PM

Housing complex is very popular in Tainan, many projects just nice!
Unlike Taipei, a high-density city, Tainan is a small city.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 3:41 PM
加油

If you are looking for Row House, then Taichung would be a good start to look at.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 6:29 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyiliang View Post
If you are looking for Row House, then Taichung would be a good start to look at.
Actually, there are lots in Taipei County and TaoYuan too.

Thanks for starting this amazing thread Razqal!

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 1:35 AM

Quote:
it should be called "townhouse". that's what we call it in the u.s.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 9:40 AM

this one's pretty nice. the houses are actually pretty large by standards. they're all individual houses and not the typical attached townhouse. they all have driveways and there's even a good size yard too:

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 9:41 AM

i like the stone materials and wrought iron fencing used in this one. and finally they are using attractive american-style garage doors - not the usual industrial type used for commercial stores:

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 9:41 AM

can someone say gaudy?? :lol: but the detailing is actually pretty good. except for the walls with the castle-like architecture whatever-you-call-it. the interiors look very lavish. those egg-like toilets definitely dont go with the interior design.

anyway, this housing complex looks very expensive. i guess some people are making money in taiwan during the global recession! but notice the scooters outside; i mean, if you're going going to splurge on a house like this you better not be riding any scooters! and there are no sidewalks either. :ohno:

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 10:09 PM

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 4:58 PM
加油

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razqal View Post
it should be called "townhouse". that's what we call it in the u.s.
First off, we are in Taiwan not the US. Not all English speakers have to use US terms. Second, you are wrong. Places like NY and New Jersey do call them Row Houses or Brown Stones. West coast may call them Town Houses.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 5:38 PM

Quote:
First off, we are in Taiwan not the US. Not all English speakers have to use US terms. Second, you are wrong. Places like NY and New Jersey do call them Row Houses or Brown Stones. West coast may call them Town Houses.
first off, taiwanese are very pro-american more than other english-speaking countries and always conform to american culture and american english language. second off, in new york we call them brownstones like in manhattan; other places in ny we call them townhouse. i've never heard of people call them row house in new york. third off, nobody cares about new jersey.

Last edited by Razqal; Dec 2, 2009 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 7:05 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Sorry, I'm on the west coast and WE call them row houses or brownstones

For example:

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razqal View Post
first off, taiwanese are very pro-american more than other english-speaking countries and always conform to american culture and american english language. second off, in new york we call them brownstones like in manhattan; other places in ny we call them townhouse. i've never heard of people call them row house in new york. third off, nobody cares about new jersey.
i don't like this notion that Taiwan is always pro-american, and they definitely do NOT comform to American Culture. In my most recent trip to Taipei, I realized that the coolest thing amongst young people is kpop, followed by jpop and domestic music. the days where everything american was considered 'cool' has long since passed, and this pan-asian youth culture can be seen anywhere along the pacific rim.

Townhouses is a uniquely californian term, to describe a type of architecture that only exists in california. Townhouses are conjoined homes that represent usually just 2-3 units almost always split vertically in half, so each side has two floors. visually they look like one giant home split in half.

In San Francisco, we have row houses where each house is indivdually styled but attached to the house next to it.

Brownstones are usually 5 floor walk-ups that consists of a number of condos on each floor, and the building themselves do not look like houses, but large blocks.

It seems like the pictures above are Californian Townhouses.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroXpress View Post
Sorry, I'm on the west coast and WE call them row houses or brownstones

For example:

sorry, but that is a 'fake' brownstone and a very bad copy at that. there's a reason why they are called 'brownstone' - because they are genuinely constructed from real brown stone. "Brownstone is a brown Triassic sandstone which was once a popular building material." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownstone)

real, genuine ny-style brownstones are like this:

i'm in l.a. now and i notice a lot of fake "new york style" things like ny style pizza, ny style apartments, ny style lofts, ny style cheesecake, ny style steak, ny style burgers, ny style bagels, etc., etc., etc. west coast are always copying new york style.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed21x View Post
i don't like this notion that Taiwan is always pro-american, and they definitely do NOT comform to American Culture. In my most recent trip to Taipei, I realized that the coolest thing amongst young people is kpop, followed by jpop and domestic music. the days where everything american was considered 'cool' has long since passed, and this pan-asian youth culture can be seen anywhere along the pacific rim.

Townhouses is a uniquely californian term, to describe a type of architecture that only exists in california. Townhouses are conjoined homes that represent usually just 2-3 units almost always split vertically in half, so each side has two floors. visually they look like one giant home split in half.

In San Francisco, we have row houses where each house is indivdually styled but attached to the house next to it.

Brownstones are usually 5 floor walk-ups that consists of a number of condos on each floor, and the building themselves do not look like houses, but large blocks.

It seems like the pictures above are Californian Townhouses.
'townhouse' is NOT uniquely a california term. california/the west coast was settled several hundred years after the east coast was first populated. it was the english colonists and other europeans who first introduced the townhouse concepts and such architecture from europe to the northeast/new england area. so we've always used the word 'townhouse' in new york/east coast. and it's only called 'brownstone' if it's genuinely constructed of brownstone.

madonna's $32.5 million dollar manhattan townhouse

http://curbed.com/archives/2009/06/2..._townhouse.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan