HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 6:04 PM
momentum

this one seems to got hit with the cheap stick! i recall this project teetering while the market was shifting, and as a result it looks like the materials and composition have suffered. as well rumors of being converted to apartments still haunt the streets?? i will play the wait and see, but i think we have yet to see some bold buildings in the pearl. with the metropolitan as an exception. seems like portland gets all worked up about big ideas and then flops with the execution. The pearl is an example of this exact thing - the momentum was lost, and at a time that some might say is the most important - as we close to the river.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 9:52 PM

I really like the bricks they used, very 1940's.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 4:55 AM

crow, can you give us some specifics regarding how the materials and composition have suffered? I ask because the building looks good to me so far. Nothing spectacular, but nice: lots of glass, some curve, consistent design (unlike the "what am i" Wyatt), and I also like the brickwork.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 2:45 AM
momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
crow, can you give us some specifics regarding how the materials and composition have suffered? I ask because the building looks good to me so far. Nothing spectacular, but nice: lots of glass, some curve, consistent design (unlike the "what am i" Wyatt), and I also like the brickwork.
don't get me wrong - i like the curve, the shape, and the units themselves are actually pretty interesting, but with such a dynamic form - i was hoping for something a little more complex in the exterior. Instead it looks like a punched window wall system. The brick has a nice scale to it, but i wonder if another material would have been better to use to play off the curve of the form - whether metal, glass or even a measured amount of smooth concrete. As for the Wyatt - it should be named the "What" - i did not know we still built post modern at such scale. maybe someone thought there was a market for a building that tried to be of the past. i don't think the Encore is anything close to that, but at the same time i don't think the Encore pushed it's use of materials as far as it could have.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 9:29 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ Seriously? You just have to look across the street to the Pinnacle to see the same kind of construction system and styling. I never thought this was going to be a very innovative building - the whole point of the design was to showcase a roundabout which they also abandoned.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
roundabout which they also abandoned.
did they actually abandon it? i thought it was still in the plans...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 10:48 PM

I never thought too highly of the shape ... It reminded me too much of my college dorm!

I thought the floorplans looked terrible! The angles look like they're just small enough so that they'll look like botched ninety-degree angles instead of intentional angles. But again, perhaps it reminds me too much of my freshman dorm ...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 2:09 AM

The Encore Updates

Updates of The Encore. I included several closeups so people can examaine the texture of the brick and windows.

Last edited by philopdx; Feb 11, 2008 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 2:16 AM

Thanks for your pics, philopdx! I like the Encore...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 2:44 AM

You have been a busy man....great work with your camera! Tks, again.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 5:57 AM

^ Phil, i cannot tell you how happy i am that you joined this board.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 4:59 PM

I like the park side a lot better.

Another case where balconies are nice for residents (if there end up being any!) but ugly from the street.

zilfondel, are you sure they abandoned the roundabout? I thought it was going to be put in when the affordable housing tower goes up across the street next to the tracks.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 5:15 PM

Thanks for the great photos.

I think the park side is looking great. It will look better when the white metal panel bands get extended across the decks. I agree that the southeast side suffers from too much balcony. Few buildings look great with so much deck yet most of the developers demand a deck for every unit.

The roundabout isn't dead it just isn't funded yet. It had a better chance of being funded when Hoyt Street was going to buy Block 5 from PDC as this would have assured some complimentary building south of the roundabout and making a strong gateway to the Pearl. Now that PDC is doing affordable housing on that site it's hard to know what will be built there and whether it will reinforce the roundabout or ignor it.

Either way the roundabout could happen if Hoyt, PDC and PDOT agree on funding the construction and maintenance issues.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 6:37 PM

I agree with there being too much deck on the eastern facade (much like the western facade of the Eliot), but it's more of the treatment...long bands of deck. I think on the west they are treated quite well. For me the pattern of decks on the park side saves this building...it would be totally uninteresting and mind numbing if the arc was just a sheet of glass that you can take one look at and understand. I like that the decks aren't just tacked on, but help to create the fabric of the facade (again I'm only referencing the park facade). I like a little more depth, definition, and intricacy in my buildings, as well as a reminder that these are places for people to live.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 8:48 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I don't not like the building - it's a typical Pearl district 'fabric' building, albeit with higher quality materials and such. I'm not so hot on how it lines up with The Pinnacle nextdoor, and I think the roundabout side just plain sucks. The park side is really cool, though. I want to see how they are going to detail the townhouse units, too.

You might say it looks like it is challenging the Pinnacle to see who's more masculine.

The shape of the concave side of the building reminds me of the Marriott along Naito.

Last edited by zilfondel; Feb 12, 2008 at 9:04 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 9:02 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
zilfondel, are you sure they abandoned the roundabout? I thought it was going to be put in when the affordable housing tower goes up across the street next to the tracks.
Not entirely sure, but the AMAA renderings of the Pearl District future plan just had a 3-way intersection depicted. So... we'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilfondel
The shape of the concave side of the building reminds me of the Marriott along Naito.
I was thinking more like that horrid Holiday Inn in the Lloyd District.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Is the affordable housing tower supposed to be the "mirror image" to The Encore? I remember seeing renderings of two arced footprint buildings facing off across the roundabout.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 2:10 AM

That was a Hoyt Street rendering. I don't think the city had any involvement with the master plan they had put together. It would be sweet to have an affordable housing tower mirror a 'luxury' tower...doubtful though.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 3:59 AM

Update

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland