HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

181 Fremont in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:17 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Hopefully its just some cool lighting!
That's doubtful since it has been like this for months.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyinthecity View Post
I also have this feeling the construction firm is having to deal with some kind of design/engineering challenge with that corner under the spire. Hope the architects don't have to redesign it.
All that appears to be missing is the cladding. Perhaps this section was damaged in shipment and is having to be refabricated or something.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:22 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
The spire being fitted - view from the Civic Center.

181 Fremont
This was now just over nine months ago--Jerry's post was on December 16th of last year.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:28 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I ache for them to fill in that gap in cladding on the corner below the spire. I've been watching for weeks asking myself, "Is today the day?" and it never comes.
Pedestrian posted this on June 25th, so he's been aching for months!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Pedestrian posted this on June 25th, so he's been aching for months!
It's made me part of the "opiate crisis".*

*just kidding

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 10:56 PM

Whoa - this is huge for 181 - the entire office portion leased in one fell swoop. From CurbedSF:

Quote:
Facebook coming to San Francisco’s 181 Fremont

In a bid to increase its physical presence in San Francisco, Facebook signed the “largest office lease in three years,” according to San Francisco Business Times, inside the spinning needle-topped 181 Fremont luxury tower.

The company’s small Instagram team will be first to move into the space later this year after the building officially opens.

San Francisco Business Times reports,”The lease of 436,000 square feet was confirmed by Matt Lituchy, chief investment officer of landlord Jay Paul Co. Sources said the asking rent was around $80 per square foot.”

“Facebook is considering this a ‘test’ or ‘pilot’ of San Francisco office space, our source said, so don’t expect it to suddenly relocate its massive Menlo Park headquarters from Silicon Valley up to the city,” noted TechCrunch earlier this year.
https://sf.curbed.com/2017/9/20/1634...t-instagram-sf

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 11:40 PM

Wow. So will it now be called "Facebook Tower"?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 2:21 AM

Wow, the best news out of that is that it will put even more pressure to build the Oceanwide Center towers.

The crane is an architectural feature at this point.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
Wow, the best news out of that is that it will put even more pressure to build the Oceanwide Center towers.

The crane is an architectural feature at this point.
??

Oceanwide Center is under construction. They don't need any pressure and I don't see how this puts any anyway. Oceanwide already has leased a substantial block of space to Waldorf Astoria Hotels. That kind of sealed their fate.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:36 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
??

Oceanwide Center is under construction. They don't need any pressure and I don't see how this puts any anyway. Oceanwide already has leased a substantial block of space to Waldorf Astoria Hotels. That kind of sealed their fate.
According to late subscriber content in the SF Business Times today, that’s not logical or true. Oceanwide Center has one million square feet of office space to lease in the main tower. The second tower with the hotel and condos is ancillary. Big companies are concerned about the future lack of large blocks office space in the City.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
According to late subscriber content in the SF Business Times today, that’s not logical or true. Oceanwide Center has one million square feet of office space to lease in the main tower. The second tower with the hotel and condos is ancillary. Big companies are concerned about the future lack of large blocks office space in the City.
It's under construction. Are you arguing they might stop midway if they don't soon lease the main tower? Otherwise, I don't get your or mt_climber's point. As a matter of fact, the point might make more sense to me if Facebook were still looking for a big lease and might consider Oceanwide--a negotiation on that would constitute "pressure" to keep the project going. As for any lack of other prospects looking for large leases now, the Facebook deal kind of came out of nowhere (except maybe for Jay Paul). Who knows what other potential tenants might be lurking out there? Both Salesforce and 181 kind of snared tenants no one expected when ground was broken.

And the "ancillary" tower is the one more or less leased up so they are even less likely to call a halt to it.

There is, however, a matter that has been concerning me:

Quote:
China may be crippling some of its largest companies with a crackdown on investment
Sophia Yan
Published 10:06 PM ET Thu, 24 Aug 2017 Updated 6:48 PM ET Sun, 27 Aug 2017
CNBC.com

China has tightened the purse strings on foreign investment, but the government's crackdown could completely backfire, hurting the very companies it's seeking to firm up.

Chinese companies had been on a massive shopping spree — outbound deals hit a new record every year since 2009, soaring 500 percent to a whopping $200 billion last year. But authorities grew worried about economic and financial risks. Cash flying offshore added more pressure to an already weakening yuan, and it was unclear how much debt firms were taking on to buy everything from luxury resorts to soccer clubs.

It didn't take long for Beijing to strengthen capital controls, and to issue rules on what kind of acquisitions would be banned, restricted and encouraged. Regulators are reviewing the debt involved at China's most acquisitive companies, along with purchases made. The government may even force firms to offload non-performing assets in a fire sale to improve financial health – but experts say Beijing is going to have trouble doing that.

"If Beijing now wants to employ a strategy of forcing companies to unwind the acquisitions ... they're going to run into some headwinds," said Chunshek Chan, global head of mergers and acquisitions and financial sponsors research at Dealogic . . . .
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/24/chin...nvestment.html

Oceanwide may have gotten its Chinese cash infusion just in time and talk of "unwinding" any of these deals is a little scary.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Sep 22, 2017 at 6:49 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 6:41 AM

535 Mission was "under construction" and then the foundation was filled in and the lot sat vacant for years.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
535 Mission was "under construction" and then the foundation was filled in and the lot sat vacant for years.
Because we had a "Great Recession". You expecting another one of those this year or next?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
It's under construction.
Is it? The shorter building is, but it appears to me that the site for the taller building is being used a staging area for now.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 10:58 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
It's under construction. Are you arguing they might stop midway if they don't soon lease the main tower? Otherwise, I don't get your or mt_climber's point. As a matter of fact, the point might make more sense to me if Facebook were still looking for a big lease and might consider Oceanwide--a negotiation on that would constitute "pressure" to keep the project going.
That's exactly the theme of the article, plus what mt_climber13 and I were saying. As I stated above, "Big companies are concerned about the future lack of large blocks of office space in the City."

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...cebook-fb.html

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
Is it? The shorter building is, but it appears to me that the site for the taller building is being used a staging area for now.
Appears to me like they've bounced back and forth on where they've been actively working and where they've stored equipment but everything I've read and seen indicates they are building the two towers simultaneously.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 2:56 AM
Build Baby Build

It won't be done until 2021 so there is little reason to even speculate. It is a good thing that anything is being done on the site this far in advance.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:06 AM

^^This project is certainly comparable in complexity to Salesforce Tower on which ground was broken in 2013. By the time that is finished construction will have taken about 4½ years so, again, Oceanwide seems comparable and not so "far in advance".

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 7:05 PM

The Spire Panels Mostly in Place Today

At last some serious progress on the spire. This view is of the western side of the tower. Picture taken from my apartment in the Civic Center. The spire seems to tilt to the north. 09/25/2017

181 Fremont St. San Francisco

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
The spire seems to tilt to the north. 09/25/2017
I said I thought it was tilting months ago but I've since concluded it's an illusion caused by the fact that it's actually vertical but the building corner that connects to it isn't--it slopes inward toward the center of the building. In any case, even as an illusion, I don't care for it. I like my spires to look as well as be vertical.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive