HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:17 PM

this morning

Quote:
@CP24

Amazon has included Toronto on a short list of 20 cities under consideration for its second headquarters. Amazon reviewed a total of 238 proposals.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:39 PM

The biggest (non) surprise is Amazon and Bezos contontued obsession with Washington D.C. The metro area essentially has 3 entries in the top 20. This fact also improves Philadelphia's chances as they are the closest in proximity to D.C..

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:42 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

I bet it's going to be down to Washington DC and Toronto, with Washington the favourite.

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:50 PM
I am the law!

No really surprises. How boring.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:54 PM

Is it possible to add a poll into this thread now? So we can take some bets with some imaginary money?

From the beginning my best guess was Philly. But hearing Boston and Atlanta are the faves.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:54 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
I bet it's going to be down to Washington DC and Toronto, with Washington the favourite.
The map released by Amazon is of the continental US with Toronto floating off in the distance. Knowing this, Do you still think Toronto is a contender and not just filler to keep this HQ2 thing "North American"? You never know. Just sayin'.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:56 PM
sick transit, gloria

I doubt Toronto will get it, and personally not really sure it should. But not surprising that it's the only Canadian city that was shortlisted - it's the only entry that really made sense. Decent chance they only included it just to have one non-American entry though.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:57 PM

Nice to see a Canadian city got the short list. I think a second Canadian city after Toronto was only realistic if the short list was 30 (which I originally thought it was).

There are a few surprises on the list. I didn't expect to see Nashville or Raleigh. NOVA & Montgomery County are a bit of odd ball choices too.

Just looking at where the density of choices are, I'd say Amazon really really really wants to be in the DC metro area, but here's hoping there's an outside chance they pick Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:58 PM
I am the law!

Apparently the above map is sourced from Amazon as well. So, one of the maps I received sourced from Amazon was of the continental US with Toronto floating in space

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The map released by Amazon is of the continental US with Toronto floating off in the distance. Knowing this, Do you still think Toronto is a contender and not just filler to keep this HQ2 thing "North American"? You never know. Just sayin'.
Because most Americans would wonder what State Toronto is in. Never underestimate how dumb our Yankee friends can be.

Most likely though some random map tech couldn't find thier Ontario shape file. Because how often would they ever have to use an Ontario shape file?

I don't think the map slight hurts Toronto's chances. Amazon doesn't owe anybody anything. Toronto's bid outright rejected Government handouts and freebies so you could easily make a case that Amazon is looking to swamp it up with incentives and chose not to entertain Toronto's bid if it didn't end up in the top 20, or the simple fact they wanted to stay in the USA after all.

Metro Detroit folks seem to be salty currently as the Metro does out perform a few entries in the top 20, but it's obvious it got slighted for various reasons.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:04 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I don't have the link handy (I think it might have been in Fortune magazine, I posted it here a few months ago), but Bezos himself made the decision to setup a second headquarters in Toronto a few years ago. He changed his mind after his executives protested at setting up a headquarters outside the US. After that, nothing more was heard of it till this recent contest. It honestly sounds like Toronto is a serious contender.

OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:08 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

What's wrong with the map?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:11 PM

Toronto's bid was actually relatively cocky. Very clear regarding no government hand outs, no special favors, and they explicitly went against Amazon's wishes and made the whole thing public. Was a beautiful professional presentation that really did Toronto justice, while every other city in Canada kept saying "we aren't doing this for Amazon, we are doing it for the attention, yet our bids are completely private".

Nice to see Toronto get on the short list and it kind of makes everybody else look a bit ridiculous IMO.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:11 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

That map is very appropriate. So what if Yellowknife isn't there, neither are Alaska, PR and Hawaii.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:40 PM

What! Sault Ste. Marie didn't make the cut?! Shocker!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:34 PM
Look at me!

Still dangling that carrot are they?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:52 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

No surprise Toronto got shortlisted... but there wont be a surprise either when it doesn't win...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:20 PM

No way Toronto doesn't win without offering subsidies. The only purpose of doing this type of search was to get cities to offer freebies.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:23 PM
sick transit, gloria

Toronto simply doesn't have that much leeway in terms of subsidies that can be offered, particularly in comparison to American municipalities. Certainly not the broad tax incentives we've heard from places like Chicago. I'm pretty good with this, for the record.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Toronto simply doesn't have that much leeway in terms of subsidies that can be offered, particularly in comparison to American municipalities. Certainly not the broad tax incentives we've heard from places like Chicago. I'm pretty good with this, for the record.
Toronto as a municipality doesn't have much power, but I believe both Wynne and Trudeau are on record saying they would provide funding and tax incentives to any city that got on the short list. The carrot still has some life yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada