HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 6:02 PM

The design of 700 Washington is bad enough but two puny 10 story developments where if they were willing to help with the transit station a major development could have occurred by 18th Street.. and everything got approved??????????? What a big disappointment after putting up the Ellipse, which is great... even Aquablu is pretty decent. They have a chance to make a wonderful mark on the remaining unused lots available and they want THIS???? Remember the original plans to make this a two tower, 43 story each Millenial Towers developmentment alongside a new light rail station?

ONLY 36 stories for the new Harborside 4, as well? A 400-450 footer is kinda disappointing, too.

As for One Journal Square, not going to add much except to say everything you noted, CIA, is dead on the mark.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Remember the original plans to make this a two tower, 43 story each Millenial Towers developmentment alongside a new light rail station?
That plan was shot down by rich Hoboken NIMBYs and the Riverview Neighborhood Association (they didn't want their views of Manhattan's skyscrapers blocked by...uh, a skyscraper). The city of Hoboken sued Jersey City and won on a technicality that got the Milennium Towers' Planning Board approval overturned.

The Planning Board could have just re-approved the project, but it was too late by the time the judge ruled the original approval was invalid. The approval was contingent on building a Jersey Ave light rail station. While the issue was working its way through the courts, the light rail station plan lost momentum, so the project was pretty much dead at that point.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 7:11 PM

Still no movement on demolition of the Art House building to make way for Journal Squared Phase 2, but there was this in the news today:

Quote:
Art House Productions is the first to move into the ground floor spaces at Cast Iron Lofts. They are hoping to create weekly, and possibly nightly, entertainment for the residents of the lofts. Art House Productions had to vacate its prior location at 136 Magnolia Ave. because the building was to be demolished to make way for a new Journal Square apartment complex.
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...rsey_city.html

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
That plan was shot down by rich Hoboken NIMBYs and the Riverview Neighborhood Association (they didn't want their views of Manhattan's skyscrapers blocked by...uh, a skyscraper). The city of Hoboken sued Jersey City and won on a technicality that got the Milennium Towers' Planning Board approval overturned.

The Planning Board could have just re-approved the project, but it was too late by the time the judge ruled the original approval was invalid. The approval was contingent on building a Jersey Ave light rail station. While the issue was working its way through the courts, the light rail station plan lost momentum, so the project was pretty much dead at that point.
True, but what just got approved is a travesty. You need not even go all that high, maybe 15-25 floors at most. But they could have done something more dense and iconic... this is mere filler and a great waste of prime space that is still developable. Hopefully these plans change and aren't set in stone... including the ill conceived 700 Hamilton (aka Miami Blight on the Hudson)I wouldn't mind if they did nothing for the next five years compared to going ahead on inferior projects. The Emerson factory plan is a LOT more innovative and exciting, and they only go 26 floors but are dense and really daring.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
The Emerson factory plan is a LOT more innovative and exciting, and they only go 26 floors but are dense and really daring.
I'm really excited about Emerson, too. I wish I understood the real reasons why the city is letting LeFrak get away with building crap and why LeFrak is not being more ambitious in this hot market. That's interesting to hear about the Hoboken and Riverview Neighborhood Association lawsuit.

I wonder if both parties are unwilling to revisit the redevelopment plan because of NIMBY opposition. It's just simply easier to build to what's currently allowed. A damn shame if that's the case.

I'm even okay with height limits here and instead focus on cleverly designed buildings to maximize density.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
I'm really excited about Emerson, too. I wish I understood the real reasons why the city is letting LeFrak get away with building crap and why LeFrak is not being more ambitious in this hot market. That's interesting to hear about the Hoboken and Riverview Neighborhood Association lawsuit.

I wonder if both parties are unwilling to revisit the redevelopment plan because of NIMBY opposition. It's just simply easier to build to what's currently allowed. A damn shame if that's the case.

I'm even okay with height limits here and instead focus on cleverly designed buildings to maximize density.
I'm so hopeful these like other projects will stall until they can get something really clever and innovative... and I'm with you here that height matters less than design and creativity to maximize density.

Regarding an area of the city I rarely see here(but live near) the 181-191 Culver project really is intriguing me. On West Side you already have one of the Stegman Avenue buildings going up and they built the dorm in the NJCU plan... I think they're starting on another project on the Route 440 side. And on West Side Avenue where Mac's video used to be there appears a fairly dense five story project where the exoskeleton seems close to completion and next door there's a lot with room for a similar size project. I'm really jazzed about what's going on from West Side Avenue to Bayfront, and hope they pick a really exciting development plan this fall when new bids go out.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:30 PM

501 Summit, the lot of the former burger king and across the street from the 42 floor HAP tower, has some work going on. My guess is its going to be a parking lot in the interim. It has the same density as One Journal Square and Journal Squared so any development should be substantial. Current owner is the same guy who did 3 Journal Square.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 5:28 PM

^^^ Yes, it was approved for an interim parking lot by the planning board last year. I would've gone to the board meeting to oppose it, but I couldn't make it that day.

Overall, allowing commuter parking lots in this area just increases traffic congestion, and it gave them a reason to demolish the Burger King that was there. Not a fan of drive-thrus in such an urban location either, but at least a restaurant and eyes on the street is better than another lot.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 9:55 PM

Wait... did Jersey City LOSE people last year??

2015: 264,290
2016: 264,152

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...215/3436000,00

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 10:11 PM

Many reports that the lending environment for residential real estate development in North Jersey is getting tougher, as banks are requiring more equity investment. Here is a good overview here:

https://therealdeal.com/issues_artic...the-fittest-2/

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 10:38 PM

Mack-Cali is the man!

Quote:
While some experts have expressed concerns about a glut or overbuild of residential units in the waterfront communities, DeMarco points to the astonishing pace of rentals in the Urby, a new 69-story high-rise near the waterfront in Jersey City that recently began leasing. The Urby is the company’s joint venture with Ironstate Development. “We’re getting 140 new leases a month,” he said.
Great read on the company's change in direction: https://therealdeal.com/issues_artic...ole-reversals/

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Wait... did Jersey City LOSE people last year??

2015: 264,290
2016: 264,152

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...215/3436000,00
First number was revised downward, so JC grew, but from a different base population.

Basically the 2015 number you posted is inaccurate. The Census doesn't update all its tables when it revises previous year numbers upward/downward.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 2:07 PM

There's some light excavation at the Journal Squared II site today, behind that god-awful brown building. Looks like demo should be coming soon!

Last edited by C.; Jun 7, 2017 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
There's some light excavation at the Journal Squared II site today, behind that god-awful brown building. Looks like demo should be coming soon!
My guess would be to cut off existing utilities (gas, electric, water) for safe demolition.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 6:10 PM

Good to hear it appears to be coming down soon, to make way for the biggest one! At least we have this!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 7:29 PM

I had hoped leases on the upper floors would go much more briskly than the lower floors, to give confidence in the developers to go tall and maybe even return to their early conceptual plan for 80.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 7:31 PM

BREAKING NEWS

Please stand by for breaking news regarding the leasing rate for Urby...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 7:37 PM

Urby is now 56% leased (426 units) in just 90 days, at an average rate of $56.76 per square foot.

This is much faster than even the most optimistic projections. Urby has also been able to raise their leasing prices at least three times due to the incredible demand.This can only mean excellent things for Urby I&II along with encouraging more development along with JC waterfront. Urby may be the most successful rental development in New Jersey in recent times.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Great new #JerseyCity mural by #sethglobalpainter - proud we have attracted some of the best street artists in the world to JC
Mayor Fulop's tweet: https://twitter.com/StevenFulop/stat...100801/photo/1

I really like these solutions to blank walls. Well done Jersey City!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:47 PM

After Urby II and III is complete. Harborside Plaza 8 and 9 may be next up for Mack Cali, and they received a big boost thanks to no small part of Urby's wildly successful leasing. These projects are still probably a decade away, but the redevelopment plan allows for a density transfer of up to 300 units per acre from the Harborside Terminal to any site within the redevelopment plan. There is a height limit for the area, but it's based on set backs and not a fixed height.

Something to watch as time goes on

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations