HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 3:25 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
He never said he was fed up. Sounds like he just wants an adventurous change of pace.

Mello- Honolulu is obviously the safe choice, but it could also be a good jumping off point to explore Polynesia
Not as tropical but safe would be Auckland or Sydney
Brisbane would be just PERFECT.

As far as Brazil, considering your criteria I would suggest Florianopolis because it's gorgeous, tropical and has a high QOL. Porto Alegre is larger(4 million in the metro) but it might get too cold for your tastes--doesnt snow tho which is a plus for me. Porto Alegre is urbane, sophistcated and has a lot to do. Ive lived in Porto Alegre and Floripa and highly recommend both, Curitiba too. Anyway, I live in the Jardins area of Sao Paulo several months of the year and LOVE it. The megacity vibe suits me I suppose.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Why has nobody promoted Singapore? It's super tropical and near tons of great destinations. It's safe, secure, albeit a little sterile, but totally comfortable to live in as a base.
I always hear really negative things about Singapore. Obviously it's safe, prosperous, etc. but boring as sin. At least the young people I know always wanted to get the hell out and go to Tokyo, Hong Kong, or really anywhere else in Asia.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
No offense, but, none of that really looks nice. The streets with the most tree's look appeasing. The KFC looked like the most inviting building to be honest and there's literally graffiti everywhere.
Keep in mind that there's no agreement on "what looks nice". To me, these pics look pretty nice.

I don't see why graffiti is a problem. Rome has 100x as much graffiti. Paris has a ton too.

At least from what I've seen, Rio looks "nicer" than Sao Paulo, though just my opinion. I understand that SP is bigger and richer. SP's rich districts look much messier and uglier to me.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Keep in mind that there's no agreement on "what looks nice". To me, these pics look pretty nice.

I don't see why graffiti is a problem. Rome has 100x as much graffiti. Paris has a ton too.
It's not, I'm just not really used to it I guess, the only major cities I've visited are Chicago and Toronto. Both downtowns that hold generally high standards.

I just don't understand why practically all the buildings are constant copies of rundown communist style housing apartments.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:04 PM

Quote:
I just don't understand why practically all the buildings are constant copies of rundown communist style housing apartments.
I think Rio's greatest boom era was in the 50's and 60's, so you will see a lot of "international style" buildings in the core neighborhoods.

To me, at least, the pics don't look super rundown, but maybe I've spent too much time in Mexico City (the rich areas in Mexico City are probably uglier, even uglier than SP).

There are people who think Rome looks like a toilet, because of all the 50's buildings and graffiti (outside the ancient core), and then others who think it's the most beautiful place anywhere. Ask anyone about NYC, LA, wherever, and you will get very different reactions regarding the "look", so I think it comes down to the individual. Rio looks nice to me (and since you mentioned Toronto, much nicer looking to me than Toronto, though obviously not as clean or graffiti-free).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:30 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
No offense, but, none of that really looks nice.
you did not ask what really looks nice. You said everything looked run-down and gritty. Are you going to say that everything in the locations I showed you look run-down and gritty?????

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:35 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
they dont. I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:36 PM

^ Not rundown, but most locations seemed fairly gritty.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
they dont. I think you have no idea what you are talking about.
I just mean that the majority of the city is made up of the same 1950's white block style buildings. and most Latin cities are full of them. There's not alot of diverse architecture.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:54 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
I just mean that the majority of the city is made up of the same 1950's white block style buildings. and most Latin cities are full of them. There's not alot of diverse architecture.
because most cities are full of buildings. Find me a city in the world with the same number of highrise residential buildings where they are all diverse.

most american cities have a commercial downtown core and a FEW diversified luxury residential buildings. Than most of the population lives in houses in suburbia, etc. Then maybe you can cite Vancouver, however there is not such diversity of architecture there... everything is glass and kinda following the same pattern too. Now, all that glass can be a good thing for Vancouver´s latitude. Not so much for latitude 30, 25, 20.

if you tear down all look-a-like residential highrises in São Paulo, you are still left with HUNDREDS of buildings with diversified architecture.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 7:12 PM

Rio on those Streetview links look way better than I expected after reading the conversation. And they look WAY better than various other places in Brazil where GeoGuessr keeps dropping me...:-D

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 7:43 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO View Post
Rio on those Streetview links look way better than I expected after reading the conversation. And they look WAY better than various other places in Brazil where GeoGuessr keeps dropping me...:-D
well, certainly. As a 3rd world place with lots of income disparity, Brazil has lots of hideous places. But Mapcrunch is better to see random locations at countries that have StreetView.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 9:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
When housing for the masses, it can get expensive to have very complicated or "nice" designs. Sometimes a place needs something that is good enough to provide shelter, basic necessities, and similar looking structures appear to keep up with demand. Cities such as NYC, Moscow, most if not all Chinese cities, and London for example have pockets of look a like's. But there are still many unique designs.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 9:40 PM

Quote:
well, certainly. As a 3rd world place with lots of income disparity, Brazil has lots of hideous places. But Mapcrunch is better to see random locations at countries that have StreetView.
Brazil's a third world country? Really?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 9:50 PM

One of my favorite neighborhoods in Brazil is Icaraí in Niterói, Rio's neighboring city on the other side of the bay. For me it's nearly perfect: beautiful beach, attractive streets, and very densely populated: 67k people living in a relatively small area that is 100% walkable. The only negative aspect is if you have to commute to Rio: during hush hour, it can talk an hour or two depending on what neighborhood in Rio you go to. I would move back there if I had a job in Niterói, but I would never try to commute to Rio from there again.

http://goo.gl/maps/ueb9A
http://goo.gl/maps/MQnZt
http://goo.gl/maps/3xl7i
http://goo.gl/maps/Emlhr

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Brazil's a third world country? Really?
It isn't really considered developed world, so yeah, probably. "Third World" isn't really a PC term, but Brazil's median household income is around that of Mexico, Turkey, Russia, Costa Rica, etc. Decent but not high.

Or, if you prefer, medium-income, if you compare to all the countries globally. Certainly places like Mexico and Brazil are rich compared to places like Bolivia or Indonesia, but poor compared to Western Europe, Japan, Australia, and US/Canada.

But, of course, because Latin America has huge income inequality, the top 25% or so of Brazilians live very well, and compare well with any country on earth. Most Brazilians I have met in NYC are downright wealthy.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 10:38 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
"Third World" isn't really a PC term
its not about not being PC, its about not being accurate anymore. The term has its origins in the cold war... developed countries aligned with the US, communist countries aligned with USSR (2nd World) and countries that were not in any of the two previous groups (3rd World).

But people still use that term, I do too. I like it better than "developed countries", "developing countries" and "least developed countries", because I think its just stupid to say a country IS developed. A developed country is stagnant. All "developed countries" are actually continually developing themselves even more.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I forgot about Mapcrunch, which is actually better than GeoGuessr.

Also, I have been to Brazil (almost 10 years ago already), love the place, but indeed high income disparity.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 2:27 AM

Thought I'd chime in here. Hawaii is beautiful all year round, we have perfect conditions and we're almost like another country. The temperature here rarely gets into the 90's and in the winters we can get as low as the high 60s (f). What makes our islands so great is the trade winds. The typical trade winds are 15-20 mph, so it's nice and breezy. Unfortunately, Houses in Hawaii are very expensive! and our traffic sucks in Oahu.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 10:11 AM

Medellin is far and away the best of these options IMO because of the altitude. The others are simply going to be too hot and humid. I also have a friend that lives there.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions