Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

50 Hudson Yards in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Guys its a place holder...and why not build an observation deck with an 1100-1300 foot tower next door? you still have the east,west and south. We can build this neighborhood around the height of an observation deck. If push comes to shove maybe 50 HY can have it instead. The deck shouldn't place any height limit on the area.
I think he's referring to the new lower terrace that is directly next to 50 hudson yards.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 12:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
The new proposal does not make much sense. Why would they position the outdoor terrace to be obscured by another fairly close building? And a building that is way to bulky, in my view.

The planning for this tower was put in place before the railyard plans came to be. It's always been planned to be the largest of the Hudson Yards towers along the boulevard, and could have been larger had City Planning gotten its way with unlimited FARs (the City Council put limits in the plan because they wanted some sort of control over what developers could build). Even before Related got involved with the railyards.

Unlimited FAR planning for the "four corners"

Max FAR given by the City Council

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/13/ny...ocks.html?_r=0
The Sky Is No Longer the Limit on Far West Side Buildings

By DAVID W. DUNLAP
January 13, 2005

Quote:
"No limit."

These were perhaps the most striking words in the rezoning plan for the Far West Side of Manhattan, also known as Hudson Yards. They referred to the density limit that the City Planning Commission, until this week, intended to place on the commercial development of two blocks at the heart of Hudson Yards. None.

Developers would have been free to build towers on these blocks as large as they could. There would have been no specified maximum under the density control called the floor-area ratio, or F.A.R., which has regulated building sizes throughout the city since 1961.

Visions of office towers soaring 80 stories and higher were conjured by Community Board 4 last year in its critique of the plan, which described the overall density as "unprecedented, undesirable and ultimately unnecessary for the city's future."

When Melinda Katz, the chairwoman of the City Council's Land Use Committee, learned of the no-limit provision at a hearing last month, she told planning officials, "I'm sure we'll be getting back to you on that."

In a telephone interview yesterday, Ms. Katz, a Queens Democrat, explained: "No. 1, I was concerned with precedent. No. 2, we were uncomfortable as a council with passing something that basically took the authority for creating a limit away from us."

To the administration's credit, she said, a floor-area ratio of 33 was quickly imposed on the two blocks after objections to the no-limit proposal were raised. That was one of several compromises made in the Hudson Yards plan before the committee approved it on Monday, 15 to 0, with 1 abstention. It goes to the full Council for a vote next Wednesday.

The blocks in question are bounded by 10th and 11th Avenues and 33rd and 35th Streets. They are known as the Four Corners because they would be bisected by a new north-south midblock boulevard, which would effectively create four large building sites. The southwest site would be directly over the new terminus of a planned extension of the No. 7 subway line.

"You have to have density to get vibrancy," said Amanda M. Burden, chairwoman of the Planning Commission and director of the City Planning Department. "We believe that deeply, deeply, deeply."

That was a quick recap.

So we've known for a long time (along with Related) that this site would contain a very large tower. I guess its the first time visualizing it that leads to questions, but the deck is situated to over look Manhattan. It could have something to do with the engineering of it as well, but I don't know. Consider that if Manhattan West rose to 1,200 ft just to the east, it would be a similar situation. The tower could potentiall be designed so as not to interfere with views, but I think Related is more interested in protecting office views from both towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
It is very bulky, yes. It looks to me that this tower is supposed to be at roughly the same height as the obs deck in the North tower,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Guys its a place holder...

Yeah, it's just a place holder. But now many are seeing what we've known - it will be a very large tower. Now just add the Girasole (3 HB) and Sherwood's tower to the model, and it will really drive home just how dense this area will be.

edensutley

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 8, 2013 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 1:54 AM

^This just reminded everyone in the world why they deep down, love new york city.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 1:57 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by King DenCity View Post
^This just reminded everyone in the world why they deep down, love new york city.
It is amazing these crazy times in terms of development. Not just in NYC, but it seems the sleeping dragon in the U.S. is awaking. Miami, Seattle, Honolulu, San Francisco, and all Texan major cities seem to just be cranking out proposals and plenty of Approvals and UC as well. I like the competition to NYC. I kinda want other U.S. cities to eclipse it in a way (Skyscraper design wise/tallest, ect.)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I kinda want other U.S. cities to eclipse it in a way (Skyscraper design wise/tallest, ect.)
Now that's wishful thinking. Sure there is a rise in activity countrywide but nowhere is it close to NYC, but here's to hoping.
About this tower, I'm really intrigued how it turns out, will they go for a similar massing in order to maintain 30HY status as the tallest of the bunch or will they make it taller, hence making it the marquee tower? I'm rooting for the latter; guess time will tell.

Last edited by Blaze23; Dec 8, 2013 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 4:34 AM

^ I would like that!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 8:48 AM

which of those corners is the Girasole?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 12:55 PM

^It isn't part of this master plan.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 1:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-man View Post
which of those corners is the Girasole?

This is the southeast corner, Girasole is the northwest corner...

Here's a rough guide to what goes where. Ignore the Extell design for 55 HY, I left it in for reference.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 2:57 PM

Good reference.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 9:35 PM

I just can't get over how NYC is killing it in the supertall category right now. This is an unprecedented time we're living in.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 11:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I just can't get over how NYC is killing it in the supertall category right now. This is an unprecedented time we're living in.
It is. We're looking at the greatest transformation of the skyline. And we're getting a mix of everything thrown in. If you're not for the bulky, boxy towers of the west side (I agree we need one spire over there), you get the slender, soaring towers of 57th Street. And who knows what the east side will give us. But even without any of that, we still have to old WTC and surrounding construction to be built out. That alone would keep skyline watchers busy. I almost feel as if I need a time out, and the real work hasn't even begun yet.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 11:57 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Easily at this rate over 20 supertalls by 2020. Dare i might say in the next decade this city might become the supertall capital at this rate.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 12:06 AM
New Yorker for life

I just hope KPF manages to get the design for 1 Vanderbilt right, and whoever designs this one realizes that this "hulk" isn't right for the location.

I'm guessing a lot will have to do with the allocation of floor space, (if you remove the amenity space, 30 HY is bulky also). We'll be watching.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 11:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Got some shots today....

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 1:22 AM

It's so Dominant and Awesome! It will make a great improvement on the skyline for sure.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 1:38 AM

I dub thee...THE FILE CABINET.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 5:06 AM

^I actually like the design, although it may just be a placeholder.
PS.That is so true though.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 2:45 PM
Show me the blueprints

So true.

<>

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 10:30 PM
New Yorker for life

This comes to mind when I see it...

http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/5053601

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture