HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The Brooklyn Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 3:17 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i wonder if its neighbor the citypoint 3 tower might try to top it in height?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 5:26 PM

City Point Phase 3 will 'only' be about 700' tall.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 9:12 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 1:39 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
And how does one stop prices going up? You increase supply. That or decrease demand. So either go big and tall or go Detroit.

I don't see why that would be disappointing. As long as the amount of office space in DTBK doesn't decrease.
Depends on the supply and demand, if all that is being supplied are new units for the very wealthy, not saying this specific building is only for the wealthy, then there is no increase in supply for those that are seeing their rents increase. While I was in Brooklyn for a couple of years, I was basically seeing people of old Brooklyn being priced out for trust fund kids to simply take over because that is all who could afford to live within inner Brooklyn. It was a very sad reality to experience.

As for the overall look, the residential tower is becoming the prominent buildings within the Brooklyn skyline, it is just a bit disappointing that we aren't seeing it grow as a commercial center. I am not saying that is good or bad, just a reflection of my personal feelings about the future of Brooklyn.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:50 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
As for the overall look, the residential tower is becoming the prominent buildings within the Brooklyn skyline, it is just a bit disappointing that we aren't seeing it grow as a commercial center.

Except that we are.

Just around the corner from this site, Brooklyn's would-be tallest,a new office tower, is set to rise....
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=213395

And a few blocks away, an even larger office tower is in the works at "Atlantic Yards"....
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221082

Let's get these two office towers built and leased, and you will see more follow. But its doubtful you would have seen action on either one were it not for the excitement of development that has been sweeping accross Downtown Brooklyn, which while always lively, never had much of an evening life. The new residential towers will bring that and more. We see it happening in Long Island City as well, where long hoped for commercial development is set to rise (along with the many residential towers).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 6:25 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Except that we are.

Just around the corner from this site, Brooklyn's would-be tallest,a new office tower, is set to rise....
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=213395

And a few blocks away, an even larger office tower is in the works at "Atlantic Yards"....
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221082

Let's get these two office towers built and leased, and you will see more follow. But its doubtful you would have seen action on either one were it not for the excitement of development that has been sweeping accross Downtown Brooklyn, which while always lively, never had much of an evening life. The new residential towers will bring that and more. We see it happening in Long Island City as well, where long hoped for commercial development is set to rise (along with the many residential towers).
That is good news, I hope they keep it up.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 10:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 1:51 AM
don't *meddle*...

God damn, what a stunning buildng this will become! And look at those materials!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 3:09 PM
Everywhere all at once

All I have to say is...expert level work. I keep being blown away by this tower and by SHoP's work in general.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 3:22 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'd almost say 9 DeKalb is on the level of 111 West 57th Street. A hell of an introduction into the super tall game for the borough. SHoP just knows NYC. They know what really works.

Glad its in Brooklyn because it won't be obstructed. Had this same design been proposed in Midtown, it would of been lost. Kinda like Verre. I only hope LIC see's something on this level. Not super impressed with the new tallest for LIC, but it will do for now. Hopefully more will come.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 9:57 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just a note but the pdf a couple of posts above has many more slides. Might take like 10 seconds to fully load, but it has a ton of slides. I just selected some I thought where cool.
===================

Brooklyn’s First Supertall Tower Will Proceed With Landmarks Approval

Quote:
A planned 1000-foot tower located adjacent to the historic Dime Savings Bank building in Downtown Brooklyn was approved by the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission Tuesday morning. The developers, the Chetrit Group, and JDS Development wanted to incorporate parts of the landmarked building into the supertall, and the LPC voted unanimously to support the project.

In order to create the 1,066-foot tower, the developers wanted to demolish a one-story annex to the central bank building, and part of a five-story annex that will connect the main building to the supertall.

The developers, and the architects for the project — SHoP Architects, argued that their proposal would put the bank building in focus, and wouldn't obstruct the views from within — as opposed to an as of right building that would have significantly impeded the light filtering into the bank structure.

The interiors and exterior of the bank will also be restored as part of the residential project, and the bank building itself will be used as retail for a as-yet-to-be-determined tenant (though it will be a single tenant). The interior portion of the bank was the only point of contention for the LPC.

Developers wanted to reconfigure the teller stations inside the bank (the interior of the bank is landmarked as well), but some LPC commissioners asked they be maintained as is until a retail tenant had been finalized. The Commission postponed approval on this particular change until that requirement was met.
====================
Nycurbed

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 4:58 PM
aka Studdedleather

YES!!!! Best news all week.

I believe this was the last thing holding up this project. I'm so happy the commission approved.

Apple would make a great tenant for the historic bank! They can use the space (and can afford it), also this area has great foot traffic, which will only increase with the completion of City Point of course.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 7:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRebel View Post
YES!!!! Best news all week.

I believe this was the last thing holding up this project. I'm so happy the commission approved.

This is 111 w. 57th all over again. Good design can win over what could potentially be some if the toughest critics. Now onward to financing, and we can watch this baby rise.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 7:37 PM

It helps also that no one showed up to complain.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 1:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It helps also that no one showed up to complain.
Exactly.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 5:21 AM
Here we stAy

Great news for a great project. I want a SHoP-designed building in my city!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 12:18 PM
New Yorker for life

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...oot-tower.html

It’s Official: Brooklyn Is Getting That 1,000-Foot Skycraper

By Jen Kirby

Quote:
Not content with letting Manhattan have all the fun, Brooklyn is officially getting that 1,066-foot skycraper, after the Landmarks Preservation Commission gave the proposal the okay Tuesday. The massive tower will dominate the borough's skyline, standing almost double the size of any other building. The sky-high structure will go up on Flatbush Avenue, looming over Downtown Brooklyn at 9 Dekalb Avenue.

The tower will stretch 73 floors and consist of about 500 units — though at least 20 percent will be affordable. The tower should boast great views of the traffic jams on Flatbush Avenue and the chance to look down on Junior's Cheesecake. It's unclear when construction will begin, but the developers had initially targeted a 2019 opening, so you have a couple of years to find a great apartment in pretty much any other borough.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 8:11 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
why doesn't this tower have a diagram yet?? its kind of starting to annoy me

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 10:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NYC and Miami need the most diagram updates along with updating the database and maps section. NY should have much more than 5,944 high rises. For example, they state 93 high rises or skyscrapers u/c, but in reality, its more like 183. Not to mention 425 proposed high rises or skyscrapers. In the database, its listed as 143. \

Note that its for skyscrapers/highrises only, as defined as 12 floors or 100 feet or greater. When we get into the midrises, its over a 1000 for this cycle.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 11:24 PM
Heavy User

The surrounding midrise context really makes this thing look 50% taller than it actually is. The setbacks also really work well in this design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture