HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 1:25 AM
Heavy User

Los Angeles Makes Deal to Host the 2028 Summer Olympics

Looks like it's official folks:

Quote:
Los Angeles officials were expected Monday to announce a deal with the International Olympic Committee to play host to the 2028 Summer Olympics, giving up a bid for the 2024 Games to Paris and bringing the Olympics back to the United States for the first time since 2002.

The city’s mayor, Eric Garcetti, planned to discuss the arrangement at a news conference Monday evening, but in a statement he called the agreement “historic” and one that would “take a major step toward bringing the Games back to our city for the first time in a generation and begin a new chapter in Los Angeles’s timeless Olympic story.”
LINK

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 3:16 AM

I think LA will be a great host. Waiting 11 years feels like such a long time, but I'm sure it will be here before we know it. I guess this gives LA a little breathing time for completing major transportation projects, such as completing the purple line to Westwood & the VA and connecting LAX directly with the rail network.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 3:48 AM

I’m just reading the incredible news right now.

LA would have been stupid crazy to take 2024 over 2028, if it had the choice. The deal LA mayor Garcetti was able to negotiate with the IOC is really generous. This is probably the closest any city would get to the 1984 deal (also LA-hosted).

So the LA bid is estimated to be around $5.3 billion (The Feds put in $1 billion for security). Paris is estimated around $6.6 billion(?).

The IOC would contribute $1.7 billion to Paris.

LA would get $2 billion to wait for 2028. Plus, the LA deal involves the IOC waiving it’s cut to any surplus that results, as well as fees LA pays to the IOC. It also involved allowing LA to negotiate it’s sponsorships that aren’t partnered with the IOC.

This will be the third time LA hosts putting it in league with London and Paris (2024). The LA Coliseum will have hosted the Olympics three times. Also, LA has all it’s permanent structures already built.

Last edited by ocman; Aug 1, 2017 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:02 AM

The brilliance of LA's bid is that LA is using using both USC and UCLA as it’s media village/athlete housing, rather than building new. Both USC and UCLA have olympic-level sports facilities.

Another tidbit: USC holds the record with 309 total medals. UCLA, after Stanford, comes in third with 233. So you can imagine the athletes’ reaction at the mind-blowing facilities and equipment they’re going to train with during their stay.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:04 AM
Heavy User

I was born in Nicaragua but I grew up in LA. I remember the 84 Olympics fondly and think it will be awesome to get tickets to see LA host its historic third Olympic games. For all of the reasons ocman stated, they're also likely to once again turn a profit from hosting.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:17 AM

While having to wait an additional 4 years sucks, the deal LA has negotiated is remarkable. LA is really the ideal Olympic city

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:20 AM
TL;DR

It's a shame they aren't building a new Olympic Village. LA has a pretty serious housing shortage and the Olympics would be a good way to get several thousand new apartments built without the usual NIMBY bullsh*t.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:40 AM
life is good

What happened to the proposed mass housing construction near LA River?

But regardless, LA continues to rack up the wins. Def the most exciting, progressive and firing on all cylinders city in the country right now. It is really unfair for all ya'll others

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I think LA will be a great host. Waiting 11 years feels like such a long time, but I'm sure it will be here before we know it. I guess this gives LA a little breathing time for completing major transportation projects, such as completing the purple line to Westwood & the VA and connecting LAX directly with the rail network.
11 years is not long. Who should light the torch? I say let Mary Decker & the barefoot South African runner Zola Budd who inadvertantly tripped her carry it together. Sportsmanship. I attended that race in 1984 and the booing of poor Zola was shameful. She cried. It would be a nice touch for L.A. and Mary Decker to bring closure to this for themselves and for Zola. All's well that ends well. If the Chicago Cubs can give a world series ring to Mr. Bartman who cost them the previous series, L.A. & Decker can make nice with Zola.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's a shame they aren't building a new Olympic Village. LA has a pretty serious housing shortage and the Olympics would be a good way to get several thousand new apartments built without the usual NIMBY bullsh*t.
I'm inclined to agree. Would be nice to see a village somewhere in or near the Arts District, or maybe along a stretch of beautified L.A. River. Also, maybe L.A. could make nice with San Francisco, and let them host some of the events, like the rowing & yachting. Or make really nice, and let them do the cycling, and maybe some of the soccer & basketball matches. Open & closing, probably not. I am in favor of peace between LA & SF. We are fortunate to be close. One day, SF will host an Olympics. Let them have a taste in 2028. Maybe LA could throw a few event bones to San Diego too. A California Olympics.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
What happened to the proposed mass housing construction near LA River?

But regardless, LA continues to rack up the wins. Def the most exciting, progressive and firing on all cylinders city in the country right now. It is really unfair for all ya'll others
It’s usually the most expensive component to build for the Olympics. I think the city probably considered it a downside to winning the bid. Especially after Sochi and Rio racked up debt, the IOC is becoming more focused on low cost.

Last edited by ocman; Aug 1, 2017 at 3:50 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 12:01 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
The brilliance of LA's bid is that LA is using using both USC and UCLA as it’s media village/athlete housing, rather than building new. Both USC and UCLA have olympic-level sports facilities.
This is exactly where the Olympics should always be. University campuses and existing facilities. Cities around the world shell out billions to impress a bunch of self important douchebags from the IOC. Let them stay in dorms. Let them play at colleges.

I hope every future bid city follows LAs lead as far as focusing on existing facilities. If only to spite the IOC. lol

At the same time, one has to wonder how much longer the Olympics will be around...
Quote:
How the Olympics Lost Millennials
The International Olympic Committee and its American media partners have failed miserably to bring the Games to where young people live.
BY CLIO CHANG
August 17, 2016

Let’s face it: The Olympics is old, man. The median age of U.S. viewers for the 2008 Beijing Olympics was 47, rising to 48 for the 2012 London Games. The 2014 Winter Games in Sochi rang in at 55, compared to 48 for the 2002 Salt Lake City Games. These numbers only include TV viewership, which skews older in general, so they don’t tell the whole story. Still, in London and Sochi, a large majority of viewers watched the games on TV (89 and 78 percent, respectively). More recent numbers from Rio show that, in comparison to London, there has been a 30 percent drop in TV viewers between the ages of 18 and 34...
https://newrepublic.com/article/1360...st-millennials

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
No other city in the country wanted this, Boston ran them out of town and the committee had to beg for a US host city. This is more like a burden than a win.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 3:33 PM
Never Dell

Agreed, they seemed destined to go for lower-cost situations in the future. Paris and London are the start.

However for the cities, it's not about impressing the IOC (post-selection) or the athletes...it's about TV coverage. But often, TV coverage has been as much about problems (Rio? Sochi? Atlanta?) as much as the glories of the city. The only really huge win is name recognition for cities that lack it.

The internets are making coverage worse. The internet loves photo threads about problems, and breathless articles about the city being unprepared.

As for viewership, count me as someone who never watches the actual games. Maybe a few minutes here and there. I don't like the flag waving, most of the specific sports, the US-first focus, or the endless backstories that (apparently) dominate the airtime. Also any kind of TV with commercials needs to be extremely compelling for me to watch more than one segment.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:15 PM
BANNED

The swimming is the best part of the games. Once that's over I generally lose interest.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
No other city in the country wanted this, Boston ran them out of town and the committee had to beg for a US host city. This is more like a burden than a win.
This is part of the role of Los Angeles... LA seems to get the olympics when no other city wants them, then transforms how they operate and it creates momentum for future bids... we are the rescue city. Look at the history of 1932 and 1984 bids.

By the way... the Olympic village concept began in 1932 LA olympics. Judging by the way our college and university system is structured that we as Americans; especially Angelenos, will always have an upper hand in that the Olympic village will always be ready, seeing as how we have major universities with dormitories that are empty during the summer. I'm not sure of many countries/cities Outside of America that will always have this part handled without constructing a huge new village every time.

LA is built for the Olympics.

.... oh, one more thing, the possible arrival of a new clippers arena in Inglewood may actually merit creating a new full fledged Inglewood sports park in the revised 2028 plan.

Last edited by hughfb3; Aug 1, 2017 at 5:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
I was born in Nicaragua but I grew up in LA. I remember the 84 Olympics fondly and think it will be awesome to get tickets to see LA host its historic third Olympic games. For all of the reasons ocman stated, they're also likely to once again turn a profit from hosting.
Having grown up in LA myself, I have very fond memories of the 1984 Olympics too; I was 14 years old and was really excited to have them here. I'm from Cerritos; synchronized swimming was a new event at the '84 Olympics, and some of the synchronized swimmers practiced at the then newly completed Cerritos Olympic Swim Center, because at the time, that swim center was one of only a very few that had underwater speakers. The Archery event was held at El Dorado Park in Long Beach, not far from where I was living.

Ironically, I never got to see any events in person, I watched everything on TV; my partner, who is the same age as me, got to see Field Hockey in person, which was held at the stadium at East LA College in Monterey Park. Maybe this time around in 2028, I'll actually get to go to some events.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:10 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

good news, congratulations LA!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 8:08 PM

Peter Ueberroth will be 91 in 2028 they'd better hope he makes it that long, because he's the one who managed to make the Summer Olympics profitable in 1984

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 8:15 PM
if I sang out of tune

Are you really, really sure you want to host the Olympics?

https://supermouse.blog/2016/08/10/the-olympic-chalice/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions