HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 10:19 PM

That could be why.

Is the white steel structure facing Terminal (with the curved façade) the new Starbucks?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
Hmm... I don't think that will be enough handicapped/disabled/stroller service for such a busy station like Metrotown. I mean, the elevator is pretty heavily used and packed at most times to the point there are long lineups on both levels at peak hours. This reduction of service is basically asking for a silly and unnecessary PR disaster at the wrong time.

The duration of the construction screams for a frequent and dedicated shuttle bus between Patterson and Metrotown, using normal or specially equipped buses that:
- have minimal seating on the lower level
- have extra partitions for multiple wheelchairs or strollers at the same time
- come and go every 5 to 10 minutes

And these buses don't really have to be new ones either - they can re-purpose and re-configure some of the older, about-to-retire-but-still-operable 40' buses for this purpose and dispose of them once it is all over. (aka graceful retirement assignment)

I just hope TransLink has the foresight to see this before they actually act...
Due to safety reasons, strollers cannot be accommodated on the shuttle. I don't have an issue with this, as Patterson Station isn't that far away (10 min walk) plus the 129 travels between Metrotown and Patterson stations. A lot of the time I've found the lineups for the elevator are for strollers and people walking to / from that end of the station.

Sure it's going to suck for people with disabilities but I don't think it's going to be the worst thing ever. This is going to last for a year, so there's the option to add more shuttles if need be.

http://buzzer.translink.ca/2015/02/m...ervice-feb-26/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 2:07 AM
Transit User

There you have it - Newsflash on News 1130: Translink hates babies! One more reason to vote no!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
There you have it - Newsflash on News 1130: Translink hates babies! One more reason to vote no!
Have you seen the size todays baby strollers? They take up more space than than senior/obese peoples electric scooters. I would honestly prefer that Transit only allow for foldable strollers that must be folded up.

But this is an argument I've had elsewhere. Parents do not get to use a baby buggy as a shopping cart. If the kid is not in it, fold it up.
(60" x 30" for a stroller, vs 48"x30" for a mobility scooter)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 3:36 AM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
Have you seen the size todays baby strollers? They take up more space than than senior/obese peoples electric scooters. I would honestly prefer that Transit only allow for foldable strollers that must be folded up.

But this is an argument I've had elsewhere. Parents do not get to use a baby buggy as a shopping cart. If the kid is not in it, fold it up.
(60" x 30" for a stroller, vs 48"x30" for a mobility scooter)
I have. Frankly, most of those are not babies but spoiled 3 and 4 year olds that could use some walking around. I have seen kids as old as 5 been driven around in strollers...This is both sad and comical at the same time. Then we complain about obesity epidemic and give tax credits for signing up kids for sports...Crazy world we live in....

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 5:04 AM

There used to be a rule that baby strollers had to be folded and carried onto buses - now that's not true. The maximum size of allowed strollers is 48" x 24" (I just looked it up) and "must be collapsible". Uhm how many SUV sized strollers are collapsible, and when was the last time you saw a bus driver say anything about it when another stroller / wheelchair / scooter was waiting to board. But I'm a bad person for suggesting such a thing too.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
There used to be a rule that baby strollers had to be folded and carried onto buses - now that's not true. The maximum size of allowed strollers is 48" x 24" (I just looked it up) and "must be collapsible". Uhm how many SUV sized strollers are collapsible, and when was the last time you saw a bus driver say anything about it when another stroller / wheelchair / scooter was waiting to board. But I'm a bad person for suggesting such a thing too.
It might have been the rule before low-floor buses became standard. If I were a bus driver, I don't want to be the villain who tells a mother with a camera-equipped cell phone that she can't take her SUV-stroller on the bus.

On the skytrain, it's much less of an issue, since the Mark II and later revisions and the Rotem rolling stock have sections near the doors designed for accommodating bikes, which are much longer.

Most LRT LRV's out there however not handicapped-accessible, and I wonder how well that would go over in Surrey had one been built more than a decade ago.

(This is from roughly 2003)
http://onlinepubs.trb.org/Onlinepubs...20VEHICLES.pdf
Quote:
Currently, light rail vehicles (LRVs) comply with the federally mandated Americans with Disabilities Act requirements by providing access to disabled patrons through the use of wayside high blocks combined with onboard bridge plates. This set-up has limited access to the leading doors on each train for passengers using the high block, which is typically used by passengers who are disabled or those with luggage or strollers.
The Authority wanted to investigate the possibility of replacing the existing method of providing access and increasing system capacity at a lower cost. The concept under consideration is the addition of an low-floor extension (LFE) to the center of existing LRVs. The driving force for investigating this concept is that the “non-powered LFEs may be added to the entire fleet at a
significantly lower cost, as compared to procuring a fleet of new low-floor LRVs.”
The gist of the document explains that LRV's have to be engineered to twice the collision survivability of those in Europe, hence light rail vehicles will cost twice as much to "do any improvement" on. At one point in the document it mentions how retrofitting a fleet is expensive and requires much higher rail precision/maintenance for low-floor model light rail vehicles. Low-floor = higher derailment risk, and less survivability in a collision.

But the same can kinda be said for buses. The low floor models only last about half as long as previous "high floor" buses, and their construction is less survivable.

So it seems that in trying to make accessible vehicles, it actually makes them more dangerous to ride on. Then consider that a buses don't have seatbelts.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 11:44 PM
SkyTrain Nut

What on earth are they doing at Nanaimo now?
They've pulled out all the overhead grilled panelling that faces the tracks.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 10:37 AM

I am trying to find a close up artist rendering of the new "centre station house" for metrotown. all the images I can seem to find only show the East/West station houses. I really want to know about the elevator layout and how big they will be (and they do need to be double the size of the current one per elevator).

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
I am trying to find a close up artist rendering of the new "centre station house" for metrotown. all the images I can seem to find only show the East/West station houses. I really want to know about the elevator layout and how big they will be (and they do need to be double the size of the current one per elevator).
These are all the renderings I could find - http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2013/11/s...on-renovation/

I don't see any visible elevators in these renderings however. BACI (http://gobaci.com/) may have details on the size of the new elevators.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 9:07 PM

The thing I don't really understand about this renovation is why the platforms are not being substantially lengthened.
The holding areas seem to be only at grade.
It would make sense to have a larger holding area at the platform level.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 9:58 PM
Vancouver Bus Driver

One thing I didn't like about the Metrotown plans is that the central station house is 3-tiered. This is actually really annoying for elevator users coming from ground level, because they have to go up one level, get out and buy a ticket, and wait for an up elevator again to get to the trains. And elevators can be really slow. It's the same way at Bridgeport right now and it's quite a bother. In addition, the 2nd-level ticketing mezzanine in the Metrotown plans, which is at grade with the passerelle, seems far too small to accommodate both ticket-buying elevator users and mall pedestrian traffic from the trains level at the same time. Unless they put ticket machines on the ground level there are still going to be conflicts, as there are now in the west stationhouse. Also, does anyone know if there are going to be escalators running up and down from the passerelle level to the trains in the central stationhouse? I didn't see any and I'm wondering why not.

On the bright side, it looks like they are already starting construction on the segregated BC parkway segments south of the station!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The thing I don't really understand about this renovation is why the platforms are not being substantially lengthened.
The holding areas seem to be only at grade.
It would make sense to have a larger holding area at the platform level.
But who's going to pay for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Cat View Post
One thing I didn't like about the Metrotown plans is that the central station house is 3-tiered. This is actually really annoying for elevator users coming from ground level, because they have to go up one level, get out and buy a ticket, and wait for an up elevator again to get to the trains. And elevators can be really slow. It's the same way at Bridgeport right now and it's quite a bother. In addition, the 2nd-level ticketing mezzanine in the Metrotown plans, which is at grade with the passerelle, seems far too small to accommodate both ticket-buying elevator users and mall pedestrian traffic from the trains level at the same time. Unless they put ticket machines on the ground level there are still going to be conflicts, as there are now in the west stationhouse. Also, does anyone know if there are going to be escalators running up and down from the passerelle level to the trains in the central stationhouse? I didn't see any and I'm wondering why not.
The central section (which I've looked and can't find a render of dammit!) is for the elevator and emergency exit stairs. Their hope is that most people will use either the east or west station houses, which will have both up and down escalators.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:14 AM

The only passable render I found is on page six. Zooming in, it looks like the plan is to have ticket machines at ground level in the central section.

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/Docu...fo_boards.ashx

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Some platform lengthening could probably done within the funding if they rejig /reduce /reconfigure the at-grade improvements - it was done for Main Street Station.

Even the steel frames the renders show holding up the extended roof looks to have horizontal members that could support a platform extension.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 1:55 AM

Quote:
The only passable render I found is on page six. Zooming in, it looks like the plan is to have ticket machines at ground level in the central section.

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/Docu...fo_boards.ashx
That's an older rendering as the newer ones have 4 escalators at each end vs 2 in these renderings.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Some platform lengthening could probably done within the funding if they rejig /reduce /reconfigure the at-grade improvements - it was done for Main Street Station.

Even the steel frames the renders show holding up the extended roof looks to have horizontal members that could support a platform extension.
The biggest problem with Metrotown station isn't the length of the platform - it's that over 90% of passengers are funnelled through one entrance and that a lot of them stop soon after stepping off the escalator, blocking everyone else. Having an entrance at each end and the elevators in the middle will make a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
That's an older rendering as the newer ones have 4 escalators at each end vs 2 in these renderings.
I know - it still shows the overhead walkway to the mall in the old position and that's been moved. When I went to the open house they had, they didn't know how much space they were going to have to work with, just that the plan was to include both up and down escalators at each end.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 5:03 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:

The central section (which I've looked and can't find a render of dammit!) is for the elevator and emergency exit stairs. Their hope is that most people will use either the east or west station houses, which will have both up and down escalators.
That would be excellent, except that I'm guessing 50% or so of the traffic will be coming from the mall across the passerelle. However, if there is one elevator each at the other 2 station houses this should alleviate my concern because tickets can be purchases there and one can ascend quickly. Does anyone know definitively that there will be elevators anywhere other than the central station house?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 5:29 AM
Vancouver Moderator

All three will be in the central station house.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 5:47 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
All three will be in the central station house.
Yarr, that's what I thought. I guess with ticket machines at ground level this won't be so bad, I mean 3 elevators is still a lot of elevators. But having escalators instead of just stairs will help a lot of passerelle folks who find stairs difficult ( but who don't yet have walkers or other mobility tools) avoid taking up space on the elevators. Because especially if bikes are allowed (which they should be) even 3 elevators WILL get crowded.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure