HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:10 AM
DENNAB

Happy holidays

Best present ever

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:42 AM

Hopefully they have all of their financing commitments (or get all of them soon), because credit markets are about to grind to a halt. The corporate leveraged loan market already has.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:29 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Hopefully they have all of their financing commitments (or get all of them soon), because credit markets are about to grind to a halt. The corporate leveraged loan market already has.
I'm sure they've taken that it into account. If they say they're starting in January then I believe them.

Same with 1000M. It's possible a recession may come and ruin these projects, but I'm just going to go with what the developers say until we hear otherwise. Then it's time to cry.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:32 AM

Just as clarification, when they say 77 story tower and 10 story podium, does that mean the building will be an effect 87 stories, or just 77 stories? 87 would make sense to me being that a nearly 1000 foot tower with only 77 floors would be very tall ceilings for apartments

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Just as clarification, when they say 77 story tower and 10 story podium, does that mean the building will be an effect 87 stories, or just 77 stories? 87 would make sense to me being that a nearly 1000 foot tower with only 77 floors would be very tall ceilings for apartments
Good Question^^^

I'd assume it's 10 floor podium. 77 Story total. Cause I've heard 77 before, never 87. Hopefully I'm wrong tho.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post
Good Question^^^

I'd assume it's 10 floor podium. 77 Story total. Cause I've heard 77 before, never 87. Hopefully I'm wrong tho.
77 floors would suggest this is still going to be a supertall considering the diagrams showed 76 floors and 1011 ft.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:46 AM
TL;DR

4-story underground garage.... I have to imagine they will use top-down method to build this garage. Anything deeper than 2 stories underground and traditional shoring methods get very expensive and complicated. I think the 3-story garage at Wolf Point East was pretty impressive and that used the traditional method with a shit-ton of steel shoring running across the cut.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
4-story underground garage.... I have to imagine they will use top-down method to build this garage. Anything deeper than 2 stories underground and traditional shoring methods get very expensive and complicated. I think the 3-story garage at Wolf Point East was pretty impressive and that used the traditional method with a shit-ton of steel shoring running across the cut.
I think someone did say it was gonna be top down

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post
Good Question^^^

Correct, the current floor count and height are correct in the title of this thread. 78 floors including the roof slab.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Oh come on, you know more than to say stuff like this. Yes they need to make sure they have financing committed (it was actually reported months ago that funding was secured), but credit markets don't just "grind to a halt" every time there is a recession. Most recessions see a tightening of lending conditions and certain debt markets do freeze up (usually wherever the bubble de jour is, in this case it's likely to be corporate debt since so many companies borrowed to do share buybacks which is about the dumbest corporate policy ever, but I digress), but to make it sound like this will be a repeat of 10 years ago is pretty absurd. The leveraged loan market is freezing up because it's super risky lending, rates are rising, and corporate profits can't really continue to expand like they have forever. That doesn't have much to do with the market for lending to a well capitalized group (possibly the most creditworthy possible combo in Chicago RE right now, JDL+SB) for a project that is going to take 3 years to even deliver. This isn't 2008 and JDL+SB aren't Teng or Kellher.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:55 PM

Stupid question Did anyone catch what the article said ? This would be the 6th tallest building when built . The 6th tallest building currently is the Franklin center . But Nema height will surpass franklin center . Are they talking after nema is done or before Nema is done ?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
Stupid question Did anyone catch what the article said ? This would be the 6th tallest building when built . The 6th tallest building currently is the Franklin center . But Nema height will surpass franklin center . Are they talking after nema is done or before Nema is done ?
My guess is that they just did the quick and dirty method of looking at the current list of tallest buildings and finding the slot where OCS would fall (maybe accounting for Vista). They probably just didn't account for NEMA. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:03 PM

I don't see what NEMA would have to do with it. This will be taller than NEMA so it doesn' really make a difference if they took it into account. What is going to make a difference are the spires on Franklin Center and 2 Prudential Plaza. If you count those spires (CTBUH counts spires, but not antennae) OCS will only be the 8th tallest in the city when completed and NEMA will be 10th behind 311 S. Wacker.

Assuming OCS is built to 978' this will be the line-up; I'll throw antennae in for fun. Feel free to correct me if anything is wrong I'm going off memory but the order is correct.

(Spire/Roof/Antenna)
1. Sears _ /1,451/1,730
2. Trump 1,389/1,171/ _
3. Vista _ /1,191/ _
4. Aon _ /1,136/ _
5. Hancock _/1,127/1,499
6. Franklin 1,007/885 /_
7. 2Pru 995/915 /_
8. OCS _ /978 /_
9. 311Wacker _ /961/ _
10.NEMA _ /896/_

And if you do like to count the antennae, then NEMA gets kicked by 1 Prudentual Plaza! _ /601/912

If Aon gets its glass elevators it will retake 3rd place at 1,195

Last edited by The Lurker; Dec 18, 2018 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
I don't see what NEMA would have to do with it. This will be taller than NEMA so it doesn' really make a difference if they took it into account. What is going to make a difference are the spires on Franklin Center and 2 Prudential Plaza. If you count those spires (CTBUH counts spires, but not antennae) OCS will only be the 8th tallest in the city when completed and NEMA will be 10th behind 311 S. Wacker.

Assuming OCS is built to 978' this will be the line-up; I'll throw antennae in for fun. Feel free to correct me if anything is wrong I'm going off memory but the order is correct.

(Spire/Roof/Antenna)
1. Sears _ /1,451/1,730
2. Trump 1,389/1,171/ _
3. Vista _ /1,191/ _
4. Aon _ /1,136/ _
5. Hancock _/1,127/1,499
6. Franklin 1,007/885 /_
7. 2Pru 995/915 /_
8. OCS _ /978 /_
9. 311Wacker _ /961/ _
10.NEMA _ /896/_

And if you do like to count the antennae, then NEMA gets kicked by 1 Prudentual Plaza! _ /601/912

If Aon gets its glass elevators it will retake 3rd place at 1,195

Comprehensions skills are horrible sir ,reading is the key to success . You clearly misunderstood my question

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
Comprehensions skills are horrible sir ,reading is the key to success . You clearly misunderstood my question
Ok let me try again in terms you might comprehend. Franklin Center is the sixth tallest building in the city by spire height (1007 feet). The tip of NEMA is only 896 feet so whether or not they took it into consideration is irrelevant. Either way both OCS and Franklin Center will be taller than NEMA so help me understand how NEMA making that list would make any difference at all.

If youre measuring to the roof Franklin Center is currently only 8th tallest and will be 10th tallest after NEMA and OCS are complete. But it doesn't really matter because Franklin Center is measured by its spires and will continue to be recognized as the 6th tallest building in the city after OCS and NEMA are both complete. OCS will be recognized as the 8th tallest building in the city as 2 Prudential Plaza is also taller at 995 feet to the tip of the spire. Its all in the list. The article was misleading.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 11:09 PM

Let's get some shovels in the ground first before the d!$% measuring contest begins can we?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:18 AM

I would like to ask, why are some still using 978 feet as the height of OCS ? I have not seen one media outlet use 978 as a height number for this building. Does anyone have an updated diagram, or are they just quoting someone who says they know someone who knows someone? All the latest construction media outlets are listing OCS as a supertall, and that's what I will believe until I hear or see differently.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
I would like to ask, why are some still using 978 feet as the height of OCS ? I have not seen one media outlet use 978 as a height number for this building. Does anyone have an updated diagram, or are they just quoting someone who says they know someone who knows someone? All the latest construction media outlets are listing OCS as a supertall, and that's what I will believe until I hear or see differently.
While you bring up legitimate points, I’m still apprehensive to hold my breath until they break ground on the project. Even with all of these rumors, a bunch of buildings have been on the “height chopping block” it seems

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 3:08 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
I would like to ask, why are some still using 978 feet as the height of OCS ? I have not seen one media outlet use 978 as a height number for this building.
Bombardier has seen CD's (and he's proven himself to be eminently reliable in the past).

Not one single media outlet in the entire history of media outlets has ever looked at CD's.

And even if they did, they'd have no freaking clue how to read them accurately anyway.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 19, 2018 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 3:16 AM

^Technically not CD’s, but the most current design documents... Addendum 5. Others on the board have also seen the drawings. They are on the street for subcontractor bids right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive