HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Goldin Finance 117 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Tianjin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 7:06 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Thanks. . . keep an eye open for any talk about this super-caisson they're supposed to be drilling. . . something I read on another Chinese forum said something about a 120 meters deep. . .

. . .
Tom, do you doubt that CTBUH is right? I don´t know what to belive...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
I don´t know what to belive...
We're all in the same boat. . .

. . .

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 1:12 PM
Back from the dead

Okay....
Couple things :
I'm not sure if this was mentioned much earlier in the thread but if it was , sorry , I'll reiterate it anyway. This tower isn't actually going up in Tianjin proper but a satellite city on the coast called Tangu. They're basically trying to take over from Tianjin as the dominant center of the region. It's called Bin Hai Xin Qu (Bin Hai New District) if I understood it properly (and my Chinese is only so-so therefore I could have that slightly wrong)

As for the tower itself .... classic story : It's approved , it's done , it's.....waiting for financing. According to those I spoke with , there's not much there but an empty plot waiting for development. Something about the developer having government "issues" which could mean just about anything. No cash for this thing right now though. Somebody will probably buy out the original developer and continue along with it but as it's in Tangu and I didn't realize it at the time I was there , I didn't actually visit the site itself. Sorry for that guys.

Incidentally , I've also been looking for the Sino-Steel Tower site (the big tall white box) but I'm not sure where it is either. If it's in Tianjin city proper , I'll head there and snap some pics. If it's in Tangu , with any luck I'll see it from the train. Otherwise I don't see any sign of it and nobody seems to know what I'm talking about. They're not skyscraper geeks like us though so I wouldn't expect them to know much about it.
Edit : Sorry , it's the Kerry Center I'm talking about. Drove by it tonight and didn't see much happening. Nothing poking up above the billboards anyway.

Last edited by Spocket; Feb 12, 2010 at 1:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 3:57 PM

^Tanggu district. . . near Sino-Steel. . . that's my understanding as well. . .

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Okay....
Couple things :
I'm not sure if this was mentioned much earlier in the thread but if it was , sorry , I'll reiterate it anyway. This tower isn't actually going up in Tianjin proper but a satellite city on the coast called Tangu. They're basically trying to take over from Tianjin as the dominant center of the region. It's called Bin Hai Xin Qu (Bin Hai New District) if I understood it properly (and my Chinese is only so-so therefore I could have that slightly wrong)

As for the tower itself .... classic story : It's approved , it's done , it's.....waiting for financing. According to those I spoke with , there's not much there but an empty plot waiting for development. Something about the developer having government "issues" which could mean just about anything. No cash for this thing right now though. Somebody will probably buy out the original developer and continue along with it but as it's in Tangu and I didn't realize it at the time I was there , I didn't actually visit the site itself. Sorry for that guys.

Incidentally , I've also been looking for the Sino-Steel Tower site (the big tall white box) but I'm not sure where it is either. If it's in Tianjin city proper , I'll head there and snap some pics. If it's in Tangu , with any luck I'll see it from the train. Otherwise I don't see any sign of it and nobody seems to know what I'm talking about. They're not skyscraper geeks like us though so I wouldn't expect them to know much about it.
Edit : Sorry , it's the Kerry Center I'm talking about. Drove by it tonight and didn't see much happening. Nothing poking up above the billboards anyway.
Incorrect, its in Huayuan, southwest of Tianjin city center. Sino-Steel is in Tanggu though, and the Kerry Center is in Tianjin city center (currently in foundation stage). Basically the Binhai New Area is designed to help spur Tianjin's economic growth with a huge industrial park and dozens of skyscrapers (Tanggu itself will never surpass Tianjin), but so far its mostly talk and a little action. May I ask who did you talk to? Not saying that your info is incorrect, but reliable information on this is hard to come by (even more so now that bohaibbs is blocked to those outside China)

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 11:28 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
Incorrect, its in Huayuan, southwest of Tianjin city center. Sino-Steel is in Tanggu though, and the Kerry Center is in Tianjin city center (currently in foundation stage). Basically the Binhai New Area is designed to help spur Tianjin's economic growth with a huge industrial park and dozens of skyscrapers (Tanggu itself will never surpass Tianjin), but so far its mostly talk and a little action. May I ask who did you talk to? Not saying that your info is incorrect, but reliable information on this is hard to come by (even more so now that bohaibbs is blocked to those outside China)
Hey BM .
Thanks for the corrections. The information I have is undoubtedly not as accurate as whatever you have. As far as this tower goes (117) I had trouble even finding people who knew what I was talking about so I ended up relying on my friend (who is visiting home in Tianjin) to see what he could dig up. Frankly , I'm not entirely clear about where he got his information from but he didn't make any fantastic claims really. He just said that people who had seen the site said nothing was going on and the reason was to do with financing due to some government investigation or something.

In any case , by all means , if you know what's happening with these buildings and where they are exactly , your information is greatly appreciated for the next time I visit Tianjin.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 1:12 AM

its too tall as others have stated and i cant get over how atrocious those things at the top are....

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 3:14 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 3:21 AM

Looks dead to say the least.Good Riddance....

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 4:50 AM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
its too tall as others have stated and i cant get over how atrocious those things at the top are....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Looks dead to say the least.Good Riddance....
Would you say that about a person as well if you thought they were ugly?
Yes, you don't like it but that doesn't mean it deserves to die, Mr.

Last edited by SkyscrapersOfNewYork; Jul 15, 2011 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Would you say that about a person as well if you thought they were ugly?
Yes, you don't like it but that doesn't mean it deserves to die, Mr.
I'm srry sir, though China can do better.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 6:33 AM

Geezus, why do these Chinese towers have such huge sprawling foundations? The only cynical thing I can say about China is that it wouldn't hurt them to build with a conservative amount of materials.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 9:30 PM

The area looks like landfill, or what used to be a swamp. Would you rather the building tip over, or become the tallest leaning tower?

Not only that, the large area leads to more opportunities for development.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 11:03 AM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Geezus, why do these Chinese towers have such huge sprawling foundations? The only cynical thing I can say about China is that it wouldn't hurt them to build with a conservative amount of materials.
Yes, that's always bothered me too...but one thing you have to bear in mind, is that these cities ( I can't speak for Tianjin, but I can for Shanghai and Beijing) ARE dense (at least they were originally). That's why all of these new developments and towers aren't; "space" is now a hot commodity here. If you're a developer and you're building an apartment complex (or even a shopping/office development - as they're often one and the same anyways), you'd be wise to incorporate as much open/green space as possible because it's what people want. That's why everything always looks so compound-ish...it's saying, "hey! this is MY green area...I paid for it...keep out!" But it's usually not so bad to be honest. There are plenty of cities, like Nanjing for example, that have no incentive to do it very much because they already have a lot of open green space. At street level, everything is close enough that it doesn't make a huge difference.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 3:51 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Large green space to occupant ratios are also mandated by code in a lot of Chinese cities.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 10:53 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 5:44 PM
Website Manager

Here's an aerial view of the project showing the green space.

Goldin Properties - http://www.goldinppt.com/eng/index.h...s/overallplan/

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 3:18 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Large green space to occupant ratios are also mandated by code in a lot of Chinese cities.
That's interesting. I didn't know it was in the code...although it makes sense.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:32 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Yes, that's always bothered me too...but one thing you have to bear in mind, is that these cities ( I can't speak for Tianjin, but I can for Shanghai and Beijing) ARE dense (at least they were originally). That's why all of these new developments and towers aren't; "space" is now a hot commodity here. If you're a developer and you're building an apartment complex (or even a shopping/office development - as they're often one and the same anyways), you'd be wise to incorporate as much open/green space as possible because it's what people want. That's why everything always looks so compound-ish...it's saying, "hey! this is MY green area...I paid for it...keep out!" But it's usually not so bad to be honest. There are plenty of cities, like Nanjing for example, that have no incentive to do it very much because they already have a lot of open green space. At street level, everything is close enough that it doesn't make a huge difference.
These new developments are just as dense if not more so than what they're replacing . Most of the older developments incorporated courtyards of one sort or another so in terms of open space , nothing has changed really . The difference of course is that these new projects are much taller on average . The oldest areas (the HuTong districts) are packed in tight but they're usually just slums really . The size of the apartments ranges from pretty small (say maybe 300 square feet) to a couple thousand . Most of the middle class lives in an apartment of maybe 500 square feet . That's the impression I get anyway but obviously that figure will range all over the place .

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 1:34 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
These new developments are just as dense if not more so than what they're replacing . Most of the older developments incorporated courtyards of one sort or another so in terms of open space , nothing has changed really . The difference of course is that these new projects are much taller on average . The oldest areas (the HuTong districts) are packed in tight but they're usually just slums really . The size of the apartments ranges from pretty small (say maybe 300 square feet) to a couple thousand . Most of the middle class lives in an apartment of maybe 500 square feet . That's the impression I get anyway but obviously that figure will range all over the place .
Yes, I think a lot of the apartments I visited were in the 25-52m2 range. I also only visited Beijing, Nanjing and a smaller city in Anhui while I was staying in Shanghai. So I don't have much to go on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction