HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 2:37 AM

^ And Seattle gets United.

We get the second rate squad.

Oh well. "Friendly" probably means they'll throw the game to appease the local fans anyways.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 4:00 AM

I thought Manchester City is in the EPL too. And they're rivals of Manchester United. I've never followed them but simple research shows they have the 6th best attendance in the EPL, hardly second rate. Are they a second tier team as nutterbug says?

Last edited by nova9; Apr 15, 2011 at 4:28 AM. Reason: spelling, typos

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 4:22 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

They are in the same league, and up there in the elite group with Man U, Chelsea, and Arsenal fighting for the titles every year. Man city does not have the global following that Man U does though which is unmatched by probably any team in any league on the planet.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
They are in the same league, and up there in the elite group with Man U, Chelsea, and Arsenal fighting for the titles every year. Man city does not have the global following that Man U does though which is unmatched by probably any team in any league on the planet.
Barca and Real Madrid might disagree with you there...

Man City have a lot of quality in their squad, thanks to a huge buying spree by their very wealthy owners (Abu Dhabi United Group). Don't know how many of their star players would play in a friendly, though. Man City may not have the pedigree of the Red Devils, but they are a good side, and in the running for a top-4 finish in the EPL and a Champions League spot next year.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 6:32 PM

How is recent attendance at Whitecaps games now that the initial excitement seems to have died down. Are the games fun?

I notice there is a groupon for tickets today. $54 for 2 tickets plus Fifa 11 for 360 or PS3. Cool promotion actually.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 7:44 PM
See ya down under, mates

The last game had awful attendance due to the rain. First time it rained in Vancouver during the regular season, unbelievably. The one game I went to was great fun, even though they blew it in the final minutes (1-1 tie with NE). Soccer fans put other sports fans to shame.

I'm trying my best to be a fan since the MLS promotion but the combination of ultra boring road games and frequently terrible refs isn't helping. Still way better than anything but hockey though (maybe even equal to hockey when the Canucks were playing Nashville).

If BC Place is as impressive as it should be for the price tag, they'll really take off.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 8:54 PM
Cheers!

A Wednesday game in the rain, while the Canucks are very much in people's minds, they still had around 15 thousand last game. All the other home games have been around 20 thousand. The real test is after about three years.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 10:13 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
The last game had awful attendance due to the rain. First time it rained in Vancouver during the regular season, unbelievably. The one game I went to was great fun, even though they blew it in the final minutes (1-1 tie with NE). Soccer fans put other sports fans to shame.

I'm trying my best to be a fan since the MLS promotion but the combination of ultra boring road games and frequently terrible refs isn't helping. Still way better than anything but hockey though (maybe even equal to hockey when the Canucks were playing Nashville).

If BC Place is as impressive as it should be for the price tag, they'll really take off.
it was not awful attendance. a mid week game against a aweful team in the rain. I thought it was pretty good. but yes, not nearly a sellout.

new york is on game 7 of the canucks-sharks date. yuck.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
How is recent attendance at Whitecaps games now that the initial excitement seems to have died down. Are the games fun?

I notice there is a groupon for tickets today. $54 for 2 tickets plus Fifa 11 for 360 or PS3. Cool promotion actually.
Game 2 of the Canucks is that night.....

Good deal - might take advantage of it - probably not though.....too bad they had to schedule it that way. Should have had the Canucks play Tuesday - but Kid Rock is in the buildling....

Went to the Montreal game last week - had a hoot there actually. My girlfriend loved it more than I did too (she's not a huge sports fan either), but either way so we'll be back.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 12:37 AM

I have season tickets within the centre section. 8 rows up. PM if you are interested. I sell them below ticketmaster's price.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 2:40 AM
Reason and Freedom

It's the Canadian championship game tonight and I just saw Steve Nash......at the Canucks game.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 6:44 AM

Jeez, the fact he spent any time at the Canucks game and not fully at the Whitecaps' Canadian Championship match of all things, as part-owner, is bang out of order! He can easily go any one of the many Canucks playoff games but there is only two matches in the Final of the Voyageurs Cup, one of which is in Toronto. Did he even spend any time at Empire? I guess not since the Caps match was 7pm-9.

Attendance for tonight's match was 15,474. Very impressive considering the Canucks game was on at the same time.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
Jeez, the fact he spent any time at the Canucks game and not fully at the Whitecaps' Canadian Championship match of all things, as part-owner, is bang out of order! He can easily go any one of the many Canucks playoff games but there is only two matches in the Final of the Voyageurs Cup, one of which is in Toronto. Did he even spend any time at Empire? I guess not since the Caps match was 7pm-9.

Attendance for tonight's match was 15,474. Very impressive considering the Canucks game was on at the same time.
You bet, although keep in mind they did have a Groupon deal late last week offering 2 end-zone tickets plus FIFA 2011 for X-box or PS3 for $56.00. Sold over 1,000 packages, meaning that number was boosted by at least 2,000 without the Groupon deal.

Would have went, but all my friends would have rather watched the Canucks game.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 6:16 PM
Reason and Freedom

Steve Nash was having a great time at the Canucks game last night. He was whooping and hollering so hard that he was spilling his drink everywhere. He was really pumping-up the crowd, not that they needed much pumping-up last night.

You can see Steve Nash spilling his drink after the Bieksa goal at 2:29 in the video below:

Video Link

Last edited by Prometheus; May 19, 2011 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 4:02 PM

Absolutely disheartening that last night's Canadian Championship Final in Toronto was abandoned after lightning and heavy rained turned the pitch into a lake. Vancouver was up by 1 from a goal by Hassli before they called it at 60'. WFC get robbed again and Toronto get an easy route.

The rules state that the match has to be replayed in its entirety from 0-0 on 2 July. Presumably this means that cautions will be scratched as well. Vancouver will be playing a MLS match at BMO on the 29th so they'll be in TO for a week I suppose.

Yes they both signed off on these rules but I think Toronto should do the gentlemanly and sporting thing and let in an own goal on July 2 or else they and their fans can be ridiculed for years to come and have one of these next to their name again for false victory.............

Here's an example of what Toronto FC should do to show some class, which I somehow doubt they'll do.
In this vid, Nottingham Forest are given a free goal by Leicester because previous match was abandoned with Forest up by 1.
Video Link

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 12:53 AM
Reason and Freedom

Head Coach Fired

Things are not going well in Whitecaps land: Whitecaps fire Teitur Thordarson

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 1:15 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Not sure I agree the coach was the issue. Think I should've traded Dunfield instead as he's a much bigger determent to the team.
At the least they should've waited until after the NCC game as if we win that the year wasn't a waste.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 8:32 PM

Give me the world's game thank you very much

Goal of the year(decade?) so far in any league.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 8:41 PM
Cheers!

Happy to shift focus back to the Whitecaps. That goal was nuts. It's a tough call to decide what makes a goal the best goal. This one is special, because you almost never see someone attempt a shot like that.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 8:54 PM
Reason and Freedom

As good as that one is, I prefer the sheer power of this Hassli goal:

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation