HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 3:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Nice work. And to think that Soviet fallout bunker of a failed public space in the foreground will be gone, replaced with the new Dilworth Plaza. I can't wait.
Indeed. Nice work by Eigenwelt and great point about the fabulous additions W Hotel, Girard Estate block and Dilworth will have in the center of town. The icing on the cake for me is to start the preliminary planning to have the next Wells Fargo Center (which 5 M people patronize annually) eventually moved to the Gallery location.

Wells Fargo is one of the cultural centerpieces of this region and it should not be located down in the warehouse/truck stop area. So in 20 years when Wells Fargo Arena 2 is being built it should be in Center City. Start with a move by the Sixers/Concerts etc with the mindset that the Flyers will eventually end up there once the South Philly arena runs becomes obsolete.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenfest View Post
The spire to me takes away from the organic eroding rock look but in any case the height is maxed out.

We are choosing glass carefully and haven't made a final selection but it will be a lighter blue to possibly a cobalt blue and may be mirrored. We are being very careful that it will not come across as dark or gray. The clouds are a rendered reflection and are not in the glass. We are also looking into lighting options similar to Cira Center's type but it's expensive. In all likelihood there will be some sort of changeable color lighting at least in the top third...
Just wanted to say "thank you" again for bringing such a cool project to this important location and for sharing info with us here along the way. Cira-esque exterior lighting would look fantastic, would seem right for the W brand, and would probably help connect the tower more to the Avenue of the Arts with its vibrant lighting schemes. But cost restraints are understandable.

What if, rather than simply putting it on the upper third of the building, you were to set the LEDs on just the extruded/inset "blocks" of the façade? That would bring (a very narrow strip of) the lighting scheme much closer to the streetscape on the 15th St side of the north & south elevations, and it would create a really striking visual as it expands eastward in chunks as it rises to the crown.

It would also keep the tower's unique form visible at night by demarking the façade's intricacies. And if one of the lighting settings were a downward "chase" pattern, you could create a pretty awesome waterfall effect. That sort of LED coverage would probably be more than 1/3 of the façade, though probably still less than 1/2. But the payback might be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
The original glass looks great but Just to be different here's an inversion with a golden hue which would give this tower a very earthy organic feel,and a touch of splash. It would also be quite the contrast to Center City's standard blue/grey look...
Ordinarily, I think golden/yellow glass is a bit Vegas tacky, but your visual actually looks pretty good! And if you feel like the blue glass thing is a bit overdone in Philly, I can see your point. However, in this case, I like the idea of a lighter blue glass; with this tower sitting just east of the Market West skyscraper cluster (where most of the blue glass exists) and having - apart from the almost black RatR - older, brown/tan highrises huddling around and continuing eastward from there, I think the blue would help to visually expand the Market West skyscraper district towards Market East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwelt View Post
Really love this new redesign, though like I said in the main thread I personally hate giant corporate logos on buildings.

Anyway, here is a quick cut and paste sketch I did of what this might look like from Dilworth Plaza. The angles on the images lined up pretty well, so the height should be close to correct.

(Re-posting the image in case newcomers don't page back.) That may be a quick cut and paste, but it doesn't look like it - nice work!

I'm of two minds when it comes to corporate logos on buildings; on the one hand, I like the cleaner look Philly's skyline has since there are very few visible logos. On the other hand, I don't think Philly lights its skyline as well as it could at night, and if the building owners aren't going to pay for good architectural lighting, at least the logos help to show that something's up there. And it's a way to announce the city as a place where corporations want to do business. At least, that's what I tell myself

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Indeed. Nice work by Eigenwelt and great point about the fabulous additions W Hotel, Girard Estate block and Dilworth will have in the center of town. The icing on the cake for me is to start the preliminary planning to have the next Wells Fargo Center (which 5 M people patronize annually) eventually moved to the Gallery location.

Wells Fargo is one of the cultural centerpieces of this region and it should not be located down in the warehouse/truck stop area. So in 20 years when Wells Fargo Arena 2 is being built it should be in Center City. Start with a move by the Sixers/Concerts etc with the mindset that the Flyers will eventually end up there once the South Philly arena runs becomes obsolete.
I think the most logical spot for a new Wells Fargo Center would be above a capped Powelton Yards in University City next to 30th St Station. Easy to make space to fit a new stadium and that way PREIT can move ahead with plans to redevelop the Gallery and make it a destination mall to increase Center City's retail presence and build two towers on top of it like originally planned.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwelt View Post
Really love this new redesign, though like I said in the main thread I personally hate giant corporate logos on buildings.

Anyway, here is a quick cut and paste sketch I did of what this might look like from Dilworth Plaza. The angles on the images lined up pretty well, so the height should be close to correct.

Freaking amazing work! This just got me that much more excited for this project to see the rendering in the context of a real world image juxtaposed to all of the existing buildings.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 12:15 PM

I passed on your lighting idea to Jack Mathews. We'll get something done as far as lighting.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 1:57 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Sweet!

Blenfest, thanks a ton for the info! I can't stay away from reading about this building! I am loving the look, style, size and height of this building. Absolutely amazing! As far as the corporate logo, the simple "W" looks great. In some cases I don't like corporate logos on buildings, sometimes I do. In this case I think the "W" actually enhances the building with a succinct, elegant touch, without being obnoxious.

What a fantastic building. Great job.

I've always been skeptical that anything would be built on this site, especially not a hotel. I remember back to the old days of "1441 Chestnut", and other proposals that never happened. Looking at these new proposals has me totally excited again!

I hope we don't get our hearts broken again.

So what is the latest on when we could see shovels hitting the ground?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 2:07 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Speaking of previous designs...

Does anyone have any pics of old renderings for this site or the RATR site? It would be fun to think about what was, what could have been, and what will (hopefully) be.

Jesse, that last line sounds like something from Lord of the Rings or something.

Anyway , old pics of the Meridian would be cool. I wish we had some pics of the meridian getting demoed too. It would be interesting to see how that building was taken down.

I'd like to compare and contrast 1441, and why the new W proposal is way, way better. If the new W gets built, it will have been worth the wait.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 2:31 PM

Philly -Drew: Google Elliptic Blog Future Philadelphia Skyscrapers? Then click on 1441 Chestnut for a render.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Does anyone have any pics of old renderings for this site or the RATR site? It would be fun to think about what was, what could have been, and what will (hopefully) be.

Jesse, that last line sounds like something from Lord of the Rings or something.

Anyway , old pics of the Meridian would be cool. I wish we had some pics of the meridian getting demoed too. It would be interesting to see how that building was taken down.

I'd like to compare and contrast 1441, and why the new W proposal is way, way better. If the new W gets built, it will have been worth the wait.
Philly-Drew, Click on the link below: I think you'll have a few hours of entertainment! Actually, Fidelity Mutual Life Building (which this was originally named), was scheduled or proposed to be a "twin". There was a whole spread in the Philadelphia Inquirer showing the proposal! Gosh, I wished I had saved it! It showed the 2 buildings "butted against each other", with the "south side" depicting the "North side" of the first building. I loved that building, with its "Texas" Granite façade. Too bad it met an untimely death. Well, anyway, here is the link below, enjoy!

http://www.google.com/search?q=Fidel...w=1366&bih=538

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 7:16 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

SJBadger and mmikeyphilly, thanks for the info! Good stuff!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 11:06 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:

Let's do this!!

First, read Pages 35 to 41 of this (Avenue of the Arts master plan discussion options for the site in 1999):

http://web.archive.org/web/201201260...ns/avearts.pdf

Center City One (would have been the Comcast Center):

1441 Chestnut:

Waldorf Astoria:

I know there's a couple more plans from after the fire but before the Meridan and Morris Buildings were demolished... maybe someone here with some good connections has them.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 11:52 PM

My favorite one still is the Waldorf. I wish it could be revived at 8th and Market. Combined with the Lit Bros. Tower it would add nice balance to the Skyline.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:24 PM

1441 Chestnut is insanely nice.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:00 PM

Quote:
SJBadger and mmikeyphilly, thanks for the info! Good stuff!
No problem, glad you enjoyed! Philly-Drew, also google "Vincent Kling", he was a prominent architect for Philly, back in the 50's-70's. He was a real mover & shaker

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
1441 Chestnut is insanely nice.
I totally agree...I'd love to see something like that developed, for sure!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Waldorf Astoria:

Someone needs to build this.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
I totally agree...I'd love to see something like that developed, for sure!
There is a very similar building in Chicago already

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8992...MZ_AHWxSzA!2e0

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:08 PM
BANNED

Pics or it didn't happen

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
There is a very similar building in Chicago already

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8992...MZ_AHWxSzA!2e0
aah yes, I knew it looked familiar. I remember seeing this when I visited Chicago in 1993. It was close to the what was then "Sears" tower. I thought that this was actually more exciting then Sears. Without looking it up, isn't it one of the large department store chains headquarters? Nordstrom, maybe?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
aah yes, I knew it looked familiar. I remember seeing this when I visited Chicago in 1993. It was close to the what was then "Sears" tower. I thought that this was actually more exciting then Sears. Without looking it up, isn't it one of the large department store chains headquarters? Nordstrom, maybe?
I stand corrected. It's 900 North Michigan, closer to John Hancock, and it was Bloomingdales apparently. But there was another tall building near Sears that impressed me too, I got confused. It was 1993, so I forget many things. I already suffer from short term memory loss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/900_North_Michigan

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive