HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Whole left by fire in Aylmer finally gets a demolition permit to clear the site.

Why would it take so long to issue a permit?

https://london.ctvnews.ca/hole-in-th...d-up-1.6539518
I believe the story says there are multiple insurance companies involved.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 7:17 PM

insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I believe the story says there are multiple insurance companies involved.
it's always the insurance companies. they live to slow everyone else down.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 2:16 PM

Ellis-Don is putting the finishing touches on the expansion of the Cami plant in Ingersoll with the parking lot paving nearly complete. On the side, the storage lots on the west side have over a thousand Brightdrop EV vans parked replacing the huge stockpile of GM pickup trucks that were being stored there.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 8:05 PM

Strathroy breaks ground on new $45M Norbec plant.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/groundbrea...hroy-1.6552035

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 5:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

great news for Strathroy, and a vote of confidence in the region's economic future.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 9:28 PM

Permits report with comparison to prior years is quite educational in terms of the huge drop off in residential units being built.

The boom days of a few years ago are definitely over.

Compared to 2021 we are ~50% lower today.

LFP article on recent building report:
https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...-value-of-220m

https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...umentId=102403

Last edited by jammer139; Sep 11, 2023 at 12:24 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 2:34 AM

Installing the Chick-Fil-A signage on exterior of new store and grading of the parking lot has happen. Could see paving by end of the week or next week.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 1:40 AM

I don’t know where to post my opinion, but here it goes: I was in downtown Kitchener today and I was very underwhelmed by their downtown, even with everything under construction. It just does not feel very dense at all compared to London, and that’s saying a lot. I’m jealous of the LRT and they definitely have a lot of big proposals but as it sits right now I think we have a much better skyline. Now the homeless issue is another issue altogether, London seems worse than Kitchener.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 2:43 AM

Yeah, I was coming down highway 7 from Guelph Monday evening into Kitchener and you can see the "skyline" pretty good. Looked like one decently tall building but the rest of it was pretty basic. Of course, I didn't have much time to look at it because once I hit the expressway, I was through and out the other side of town in no time lol.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Yeah, I was coming down highway 7 from Guelph Monday evening into Kitchener and you can see the "skyline" pretty good. Looked like one decently tall building but the rest of it was pretty basic. Of course, I didn't have much time to look at it because once I hit the expressway, I was through and out the other side of town in no time lol.
That’s the 39 story DTK building, tallest in the region but pretty fugly compared to Centro here in London. No doubt they will be building better towers in the future but London is as well.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 4:31 PM

They have now paved the parking around the new chick-fil-a and the building south of it has all the structural walls and roofing now installed. The building up at the SW corner of Wonderland and Bradley is now getting the exterior brick work installed and prepped for the stucco portions.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 8:43 PM

Minister of Education in town today to announce the funding to build a new $51M Catholic High School on site of Regina Mundi. One would hope they don't build it with a 700 student capacity which would be a 1 for 1 replacement but think ahead and build it with a 1200-1500 student capacity.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...g-regina-mundi

Last edited by jammer139; Oct 13, 2023 at 12:36 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 11:02 PM

Trudell Medical at the corner of Cheapside and Baransway Dr (formerly known as Third St) is putting a massive addition on to their warehouse. Almost the entire property on the north side of the existing building is fenced off and dirt moved, with foundation work starting beside the loading docks and gradually extending out. Not sure how big this will be but it's always nice to see a local company expanding. I was concerned when their owner passed away several years ago that they might be swallowed up by one of the large multinational healthcare suppliers and moved (similar to how Stryker purchased a London hospital bed manufacturer and then moved the work to Michigan last year).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 5:42 PM

In St. Thomas the second tower of the Alma College site has now got the tower crane setup. Sierra Construction appears to be the general contractor. It's very likely that we will see zero progress on the McCormicks factory renovation on Dundas street in London given Sierra is occupied with the Alma site.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/second-hou...-ont-1.6421714

Also Vandel Construction https://vandel.ca/projects/ has the tower crane up for the 14s high rise being build in St. Thomas on the former Timkin site now. Alot of progress on the footings and forming of the floating raft slab for the tower.

Alot of commercial/retail businesses have already been built surrounding the site.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/14-storey-...-ont-1.5822146

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 5:49 PM

Sierra is a pretty large company doing projects in many sectors of construction, and they do many projects at a time. It's doubtful that they are going to do anything with the McCormick's site in the near future, but it's not because they are busy on a building in St Thomas.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:00 PM

Looks like a settlement of the OLT appeal for the zoning of upwards of two 5s apartment buildings with a total of 152 units just south of the Timmies in Komoka has been filed.

22447 Komoka Road is the address

Wonder how long it will be until we see the construction begin?

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onlt/do...nlii94349.html

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 4:24 PM

The new Foodland store in the new plaza on the north side of Lucan is now open.

https://www.westdellcorp.com/the-gle...opping-centre/

The new McDonalds building is now structurally up and getting exterior and interior finishing. The Gas Bar is also progressing well.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Minister of Education in town today to announce the funding to build a new $51M Catholic High School on site of Regina Mundi. One would hope they don't build it with a 700 student capacity which would be a 1 for 1 replacement but think ahead and build it with a 1200-1500 student capacity.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...g-regina-mundi
They don't need that many kids there. I went to that high school, our population never exceeded 1000. I think when I left there was about 800 kids, and that was 10 years ago.

I always think it's better to build smaller for the future. These schools won't always have large populations, and we don't need a repeat of what happened with the baby boom. I think it affected the US more, as they built schools to fit 2000-3000 kids, and having large auditoriums, a few gyms, pools, etc. But there was a lot of school closures in Ontario between the late 90s and the late 2000s.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 11:52 PM

Quote:
The new Foodland store in the new plaza on the north side of Lucan is now open.

https://www.westdellcorp.com/the-gle...opping-centre/

The new McDonalds building is now structurally up and getting exterior and interior finishing. The Gas Bar is also progressing well.
I did some work for the place next to Foodland, so far there will be a PetValu and a Dollarama, and then 3 vacant units to rent.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
They don't need that many kids there. I went to that high school, our population never exceeded 1000. I think when I left there was about 800 kids, and that was 10 years ago.

I always think it's better to build smaller for the future. These schools won't always have large populations, and we don't need a repeat of what happened with the baby boom. I think it affected the US more, as they built schools to fit 2000-3000 kids, and having large auditoriums, a few gyms, pools, etc. But there was a lot of school closures in Ontario between the late 90s and the late 2000s.
It says in the article the MPP said the new RMC will need to be expanded once it's opened. School enrollment is growing, not shrinking. I get that it's easier to get money out of the government for a 1 to 1 replacement, but it's silly when they already project it to be undersized. Also curious that the article said the school board has applied to the city for a demolition permit for the old school. Surely they aren't demolishing this before the new one opens in 3 years?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates