HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 3:52 PM

Does anyone know if Fargo is trying to loosen the outdated and strict zoning rules that segregate landuses and make walking, bicycling, etc. nearly impossible? The redevelopments along 12th Ave. and the one along 19th Ave. and University seem to be pointing in that direction, but are these just exemptions or are they something that Fargo is purposively seeking out? The Urban Plains development is somwhat Newurbanist in design but why aren't there apartments above the retail if that's what they were trying to do? Is that in the works?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 1:41 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
Can you imagine what would happen if Grand Forks people settled onto this forum???

I feel the same way brother..

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 5:09 AM
still here

The Johnson Block is getting a makeover downtown. For those of you who do not know what the Johnson Block is (not expecting you to know ), it is the building that held Hurley's Religious Goods before it moved to another local.

Wow! First post in a while.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 8:39 PM

O'Reileys Auto Parts looks like its nearing opening at the 45th St and Main Ave intersection next to Enterprise Rent a Car

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 2:21 AM
still here

NDSU again sets enrollment record
Amy Dalrymple, The Forum
Published Wednesday, February 06, 2008

North Dakota State University has set a spring semester enrollment record for the ninth straight time, reaching 11,699 students.

That’s about a 1 percent increase from last year’s official spring enrollment of 11,555 students.

The head count at NDSU includes 1,719 graduate students, a new spring semester high.

NDSU also hit a record for international students with 828.

The University of North Dakota reported a spring enrollment of 11,847 students, about a 2 percent decrease.

Last year, the official spring enrollment was 12,034 students. UND remains the largest university in the state with 148 students more than NDSU.

This is the first time the North Dakota University System reported enrollment during the fourth week of class. Previously, the campuses reported official enrollment after the third week.

Prakash Mathew, NDSU’s vice president for student affairs, said giving the campuses an extra week to count students provides a more accurate head count and cuts down on staff work.

When reporting enrollment, campuses verify that students who are registered are actually attending classes or have at least made arrangements to pay tuition, Mathew said.

Last fall, that meant NDSU staff had to make more than 800 phone calls to verify students’ registration, he said.

With an extra week for students to make tuition payments, NDSU staff made fewer than 100 calls.

The change means it’s more difficult to compare this spring’s enrollment with previous years.

But officials said enrollment doesn’t typically change significantly between the third and fourth weeks.

UND spokesman Peter Johnson said although the campus has seen an enrollment decline this year, applications for new students are up from this time last year.

“The numbers for the fall are looking very good,” he said.

The North Dakota State College of Science reported 2,315 students, the highest spring enrollment in five years.

That’s about a 2 percent increase from last spring’s enrollment.

Valley City State University reported 946 students, about a 2 percent increase from last spring’s official head count of 927.

Mayville State University has a spring head count of 783 students, compared to last spring’s enrollment of 779.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Amy Dalrymple at (701) 241-5590

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 3:56 AM

Expressway Suites is opening February 25th. The new Best Western is open by 45th St aka Kelly Inn

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 4:52 PM

Don't Forget

Enrollment figures are ALL students. NDSU has more on-campus and full-time students. UND has a larger branch campus, part-time, and distance population.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 6:53 AM
still here

28% by 2014
Amy Dalrymple, The Forum
Published Sunday, February 10, 2008

The new magic number at North Dakota State University is 16,000.

That’s how many students are expected to be enrolled at NDSU by 2014 if growth trends continue.

President Joseph Chapman established an enrollment management committee to examine how the campus should prepare for a potential increase of 3,500 students – a nearly 28 percent increase from last fall’s record enrollment of 12,527.

“I’m not laying out any goals,” Chapman said. “This is about understanding that we are going to grow and we have an obligation to have all the pieces in place to accommodate this.”

While fall semester traditionally has a higher enrollment number, NDSU reported last week a spring enrollment record – 11,699 students – for the ninth consecutive year.

The student body should grow by another 2 percent this fall or even higher compared to 2007, said Prakash Mathew, vice president for student affairs.

After Chapman came to NDSU in 1999, he set a goal for the university to enroll 12,000 students by 2006, which was accomplished in 2004.

This time around, the 16,000 figure identified isn’t a goal, Chapman said.

It’s a “what if” scenario that will become a reality if NDSU continues to see similar enrollment increases, Chapman said.

“What we don’t know is where does it really go?” Chapman said. “How much could we grow?”

He asked the enrollment management committee to study what NDSU would need to keep up with the growth – everything from more faculty to new buildings to additional scholarships.

NDSU also hired a private consultant to develop a master plan for the campus.

“As we grow, what I want to make certain is we maintain the quality for our students,” Chapman said.

Areas of growth

NDSU expects to continue seeing significant growth in enrollment of international students and graduate students, Mathew said.

This spring, NDSU enrolled a record 828 international students.

That number is expected to climb as NDSU builds more relationships with foreign countries, such as India and Sri Lanka.

As NDSU adds new programs, the graduate enrollment has grown to nearly 1,800, or about 14 percent of the total student population.

Graduate School Dean David Wittrock said he wants to see graduate students make up 20 percent of the student body.

“The whole image of NDSU has changed, and people think about us now as a place where you can go to grad school,” said Wittrock, co-chairman of the enrollment committee.

Undergraduate enrollment is also expected to grow despite declining high school enrollments in the region, Mathew said.

That’s because NDSU has become an “institution of choice,” Mathew said, and is drawing more students from other states.

NDSU had its largest-ever freshman class last fall with 2,154 students, with more students coming from Minnesota than North Dakota.

More North Dakota and Minnesota students who took the ACT last year listed NDSU as their first-choice university than any other school in North Dakota.

Other enrollment increases will come from new evening and weekend programs NDSU is rolling out starting this fall.

The university is also adding more degree programs that can be completed online, which is expected to serve different students than the university now reaches.

Athletics continues to have a positive impact on enrollment as NDSU transitions to Division I next year and sees more national exposure, Chapman said.

“I think the next five years will be a time of growing recognition of NDSU as a true major national research university,” Chapman said. “It will continue to be a transformation of the institution.”

Space crunch

A critical issue for NDSU is having enough space for more students and the additional faculty and staff who will be needed.

Although some of the new students will be served online, the majority will be on campus, Chapman said.

Classroom and lab space is now tight and some professors share offices.

“We’re built for about 8,000 students,” said Provost Craig Schnell. “And we’ve got over 12,000.”

The private consultant NDSU is working with will assess the existing facilities and make recommendations on what the university will need over the next 10 years, said John Adams, vice president for finance and administration.

The firm will provide a report this summer, he said.

Two new downtown buildings will alleviate some of the pressure, Chapman said.

Klai Hall, which houses art and architecture, will open next fall. Richard H. Barry Hall, which houses the College of Business and the Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics, will open in 2009.

The enrollment management committee also is studying how many faculty and support staff will be needed.

NDSU is now recruiting 32 new faculty and 14 student advisers to keep up with current enrollment growth.

To accommodate another 3,500 students, NDSU would need to hire 175 faculty members to maintain the university’s target student-faculty ratio of 20 to 1.

With additional students, NDSU would hope for more state funding from the Legislature, Adams said.

The growth in students would translate to more tuition revenue, but it would not cover the entire cost of education, he said.

NDSU may also need to rely on private funding and research dollars to support the growth, Adams said.

Neighborhood impact

Residents of the neighborhood near NDSU have concerns about where more students will live and where they will park, said Ken Enockson, president of the Roosevelt Neighborhood Association.

They already see a decrease in home ownership as more single-family homes are turned into rental units, Enockson said.

That creates congestion and complaints about parking and loud parties, he said.

Construction that’s under way now will provide more housing for students.

The Living Learning Center West residence hall opens this summer with 170 beds.

Three new off-campus developments on 12th Avenue North will add 84 apartment units and a development on 19th Avenue North will add 75 units.

Dawn Mayo, assistant city planner, said additional enrollment growth may spur even more development like that.

Parking congestion is the No. 1 issue for neighborhood residents, Enockson said.

NDSU has about 1,000 parking spaces that aren’t being used, but those spots are in lots like the Fargodome lot where students don’t like to park, said Bruce Frantz, facilities management director.

So instead of spending $110 on a parking permit, students opt to park on the street.

Residents complain that students block driveways, take up parking for guests and create safety hazards, Enockson said.

The consultant firm will likely include in its report a recommendation about a parking ramp, Frantz said. The current revenue from parking permits would not be enough to pay for it, he said.

“There’s no question they cost more to build,” Adams said. “But we may be getting to a point where we may need one in the near future.”

Residents hope to be involved with planning for NDSU’s expansion, Enockson said.

“We’re not necessarily saying we don’t want to see that growth,” he said. “But we really need to partner both with NDSU and the city to figure out a way to maintain that in a way that’s not detrimental to us.”

Readers can reach Forum reporter Amy Dalrymple at (701) 241-5590

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 7:22 AM
Honored Member

I really wish NDSU could re-zone some of the agricultural land on the west side of 18th Street to build more classrooms and housing. The campus is actually tightly hemmed in between neighbourhoods and the 19th Ave. strip. The only open area is the vast openness west of 18th. I would bet the consultant may give that as a suggestion to grow the campus infrastructure.

Things I see on campus by 2020: A Dinkytown/Campustown type district, a new parking ramp, expansion to the Fargodome or a new outdoor football stadium, student housing at the downtown campus, a new athletics center replacing the antiquated BSA, and a rebuilt skyway system.

I can't wait to see this master plan.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 2:51 PM
Fargoan From 1999-2008

Development west of 18th St can happen, however some plots will never be developed. In particular the land directly west of the Wellness Center has been continuously used as an agriculture plot for over 100 years. I'm sure it would be left as a park/green-area if the land around it was developed. Remember that NDSU was going to start development on that side of the street with the College of Business building - before they decided to go downtown. I'm sure NDSU wishes they could add more additional space as well (VP Schnell said as much in the article).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 4:20 PM

What intrigues me

I really hope they create a parking garage (maybe at one of the T-lots). You could add multi-story housing and retail/offices around the perimeter, which would also shield the cars from the worst of the cold. It would add more verticality to the campus, and would help with the parking problems.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 5:26 PM
still here

Yeah that would make a lot of sense. In downtown Lincoln, they have a parking garage right next to campus. It is very attractive looking and has an Applebees on the base with other retail. NDSU could totally pull that off and T Lot would be a great place to start.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 4:23 PM

Any truth to the Joe's Crab Shack/Sonic rumor?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson View Post
Any truth to the Joe's Crab Shack/Sonic rumor?
I havent heard anything on either of those. I do want a Sonic Drive-In very bad. I still have peppermints from when i went last August to Austin

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoe View Post
Remember that NDSU was going to start development on that side of the street with the College of Business building - before they decided to go downtown.
A new building for the Upper Great Plains Transportation Institute, which is currently located mostly on the 4th floor of IACC, is going to be built where the College of Business building was going to go. I'm not sure of the timeline.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew2109 View Post
I havent heard anything on either of those. I do want a Sonic Drive-In very bad. I still have peppermints from when i went last August to Austin
Ahhh...the peppermints...I miss their ice and foam cups so badly.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 8:09 AM

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 12:21 AM

Officials plan to reveal 'major announcement' regarding Fargo's air service

I have a feeling it will be about flights to Atlanta and/or Cincy.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 12:48 AM
still here

On the city info page, on the Fargo website, they now say an estimated 99,200 people live in Fargo as opossed to the previous 93,000.

http://www.cityoffargo.com/CityInfo/

Great news about the 'major announcement' though. I can't wait to find out about whatever it is.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 1:41 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson View Post
Officials plan to reveal 'major announcement' regarding Fargo's air service

I have a feeling it will be about flights to Atlanta and/or Cincy.
KFGO radio said it had to do with Frontier Airlines re-establishing service in Fargo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest