HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 3:48 AM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
I know we said that there was supposed to be a strip mall or something going to go where the old Costco sits now, IIRC? But has anyone else heard that the Trinity Drive Kent was supposed to be moving in there? If this is true and I don't really know if it is or not, then maybe the new stores/restaurants would go to where Kent is now?

Edit: Not sure if there would be much point in that because it looks like the top view from Google Maps that the Costco building doesn't look a whole lot bigger than the Kent building and they would still need room for the lumber yard. Anyhow just thought I'd pass it on, like I said, just something I heard.
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.1185.../data=!3m1!1e3
I think Kent moving in there was less likely as they had an expanded lumber yard in Riverview but who knows

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 3:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There are many rumours out there regarding the fate of the soon-to-be-former Costco location at Wheeler Park.

- Costco retaining the site in the short term as a warehousing facility
- Kent purchasing the site for a new store (or lumber yard)
- Moncton Chrysler moving their dealership here.
- New retail strip plaza and restaurants.
- Cineplex moving the Trinity movie complex here, and adding an IMAX and a Rec Room.
- etc. etc. etc.

The truth is nobody really knows what's going to happen, or if they do know, they are keeping it close to their vest.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 1:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

T&T article about Eat Clean Grill. They probably got the idea for the article by reading our retail thread.

https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...ory/100742616/ (paywall)

Of note is the fact that the restaurant will open in January. Also of note is the fact that the restaurant will offer "meal prep" services, so, for example, you could have them prepare a whole week of meals that you could carry home and eat later. This could be a useful service!

Typical fare......

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 1:58 PM

That looks delicious, healthy and not a ridiculously oversized portion. I'm a fan!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:35 AM

Anyone’s guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

There are many rumours out there regarding the fate of the soon-to-be-former Costco location at Wheeler Park.

- Costco retaining the site in the short term as a warehousing facility
- Kent purchasing the site for a new store (or lumber yard)
- Moncton Chrysler moving their dealership here.
- New retail strip plaza and restaurants.
- Cineplex moving the Trinity movie complex here, and adding an IMAX and a Rec Room.
- etc. etc. etc.

The truth is nobody really knows what's going to happen, or if they do know, they are keeping it close to their vest.

Rumour mill is theatre with IMAX And Rec room in the old Cabelas There is a reason Kelsey’s is opening up we’re they are even with Costco leaving. :-)

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:22 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster chucker View Post
Rumour mill is theatre with IMAX And Rec room in the old Cabelas There is a reason Kelsey’s is opening up we’re they are even with Costco leaving. :-)
Interesting rumour. This is possible. Do you suspect the Trinity Drive Cineplex complex would close if this happened?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:24 AM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Interesting rumour. This is possible. Do you suspect the Trinity Drive Cineplex complex would close if this happened?
Rumor mill on my end was an RV dealership for old Cabella's.
Is that building even high enough for IMAX screens?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:35 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
No way....my money is on old Costco for this development...really hoping this is the outcome and Kelsey’s knows before us

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
No. It would have to be gutted for an IMAX to be installed.

So-many-rumours out there............

While I think this rumour (of an IMAX) is possible for the old Cabela's location, I don't necessarily think this is probable.

IMAX does want a screen in Moncton. The President of IMAX Canada is on the record for saying this. If I were to guess, I would suggest a major remodel of the Trinity Drive cinema complex might make the most sense - say a 4 screen Cineplex (instead of 8 screens) with the rest of the space given over to an IMAX and Rec Room. Alternatively, a relocated cinema complex on the Costco site would work very well too.

They did use the Cabela's briefly as a storage space for RVs. This would actually be a great location for an RV dealership - large indoor display area/service centre, with lots of exterior parking for other units on display, and right off the TCH to boot. Even the style of building would suit an RV centre, with little to any modification.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
No way....my money is on old Costco for this development...really hoping this is the outcome and Kelsey’s knows before us
Good to see you back mmmatt!!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:52 AM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Yeah I didn't think so. That Cabella's building is pretty much the same height as Trinity Cineplex.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster chucker View Post
Kelsey's is moving where they are because of a few factors to my knowledge Price per sq ft, and access played a big part in there decision.

Quote:
It seems The Company who now owns the property might be looking at some of the plans that where put in place before they decided on this one.

Quote:
If it is it seems barely big enough to fit IMAX screens, and I think the Rumors for the RV Dealership where because of previous plans for a well known New/Used RV Dealer was that something that should not have been released was, and that was based on talks only of the Known RV Dealer

Also: I would like to add The old Blockbuster/Furniturama Opening Tomorrow October 18th 2018 a Warehouse Sale.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 10:27 AM

The 'future' Moncton Chrysler dealership lot besides the Hampton Inn is once again listed for sale. Maybe this puts a bit more credence behind the rumor of their moving to Costco's soon to be vacated location? I'm just feeding the rumor monster here, I haven't heard anything and I think that's a waste of prime retail space.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
The 'future' Moncton Chrysler dealership lot besides the Hampton Inn is once again listed for sale. Maybe this puts a bit more credence behind the rumor of their moving to Costco's soon to be vacated location? I'm just feeding the rumor monster here, I haven't heard anything and I think that's a waste of prime retail space.
As far as I was told by Moncton Chrysler employees, the plan for that dealership is to renovate at their actual location and not moving to a new location. The plan could have changed, but last time I asked, that's what I've been told.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 12:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emad View Post
As far as I was told by Moncton Chrysler employees, the plan for that dealership is to renovate at their actual location and not moving to a new location. The plan could have changed, but last time I asked, that's what I've been told.
The current location is cramped, and they did purchase the property next to the Hampton Inn for a relocation. Perhaps they've decided that a relocation is not worth the cost.

There have literally been tens of millions of dollars spent on new, expanded or relocated auto dealerships in greater Moncton over the last several years. Moncton Chrysler actually stands out a bit by staying put.......

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
The current location is cramped, and they did purchase the property next to the Hampton Inn for a relocation. Perhaps they've decided that a relocation is not worth the cost.

There have literally been tens of millions of dollars spent on new, expanded or relocated auto dealerships in greater Moncton over the last several years. Moncton Chrysler actually stands out a bit by staying put.......
Last time I was in there, which was this summer, the plan at that time was to renovate the current location and add a second floor for offices while expanding the show room. The Paint shop and repair bays would be relocated to another location making more room for inventory. This is what I was told by the salesman at the time, but those plans could have changed.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 12:46 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
Last time I was in there, which was this summer, the plan at that time was to renovate the current location and add a second floor for offices while expanding the show room. The Paint shop and repair bays would be relocated to another location making more room for inventory. This is what I was told by the salesman at the time, but those plans could have changed.
Which is fine by me because I would be disappointed to see a Chrysler dealership in that big building that has so much potential. That would kind of be like seeing a call center open up in a mall.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:54 PM

I think with the expansion of Rallye Chrysler in a much bigger building, maybe Moncton Chrysler got cold feet. Something else I’d love to see go where Cabellas was is L.L. Bean, but I think that is far fetched.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If you pushed me for an opinion, I would generally agree with mmmatt's speculation above.

I think the fact that Kelsey's is locating in Wheeler Park is a strong vote in support of the future of this particular retail district. I presume this to mean that additional redevelopment is in the offing, development that will offset the loss of Costco. I imagine the owner of the Kelsey's franchise is aware of this.

Similarly, I don't think Kelsey's would be locating here if the Cineplex complex were planning on leaving Wheeler Park. The synergy between a movie house and a neighbouring restaurant is just too great. For this reason, I really don't take the rumour of a Cineplex move to the old Cabela's site seriously.

I do think the Cineplex at Wheeler Park is due for an upgrade. The current interior layout with two wings containing theatres radiating off a central ticketing and concession hub is a bit awkward. The layout at their Champlain Place location is much better. In addition, as I have previously stated, IMAX wants into Moncton. Cineplex is also rolling out their Rec Room concept in the east (opening soon in the Avalon Mall in St. John's, and maybe sniffing around Halifax (at least according to Halifax ReTales blog)). I honestly think Moncton might be on their horizon too.

So, does Cineplex renovate the current location in Wheeler Park, or do they start fresh in the old Costco location? The current multiplex is hemmed in, so to locate an IMAX and Rec Room here would be difficult. Sacrifices would have to be made. The number of screens would have to be reduced.

To me, the obvious thing to do would be to build afresh in the old Costco location. This would be plenty big enough for an eight cinema multiplex, an IMAX theatre and an attached Rec Room. There would likely be enough room for an exterior restaurant pad too. Such a complex would be a huge draw for Wheeler Park.

This is purely speculative however. I have no inside information, but I can see the stars aligning.........

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:32 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
To me, the obvious thing to do would be to build afresh in the old Costco location. This would be plenty big enough for an eight cinema multiplex, an IMAX theatre and an attached Rec Room. There would likely be enough room for an exterior restaurant pad too. Such a complex would be a huge draw for Wheeler Park.
Yup it would be because a new theatre just as nice as Dieppe plus with IMAX screens would be great at getting families to go to Trinity probably almost on a monthly basis. We definitely want something that brings in lots of foot traffic into Wheeler Park to keep the gears moving healthy! This would definitely accomplish this. This would bring in lots of people from the outside as well considering that it would be New Brunswick's only IMAX!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces