HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 7:48 PM

It looks like the purchase / renovation of Michigan Depot is nearly a done deal it's one thing for the company to announce it's interest in the project and start buying up land but for Edsel Ford to put himself out there like this he must be confident of a deal being completed.

Quote:
Edsel Ford II: Ford board may vote on train station plan May 10

By CHAD LIVENGOOD
Crain's Detroit
April 30, 2018

-Great-grandson of Henry Ford and a Ford Motor Co. board member says directors have been briefed on the plan
-Board could take a vote at May 10 meeting
-First public confirmation of talks to buy Michigan Central Station by anyone associated with the automaker.

Edsel B. Ford II, a member of the Ford Motor Co. board of directors, confirmed Monday that the automaker is pursuing a deal to purchase the Michigan Central Station for a Corktown campus. Ford talked about the potential mega real estate deal after being honored for his work on the Detroit 300 Conservancy committee, which raised $30 million for the development of Campus Martius park in downtown Detroit.

"It doesn't need a vote, but it requires buy-in," Ford said.

Internally at the Dearborn automaker, Ford Executive Chairman Bill Ford Jr. has been said to be driving the push for the company to re-establish a major presence in Detroit some two decades after the company's last employees left the Renaissance Center, whose construction was led by Edsel Ford II's father, Henry Ford II.

"Bill's excited about it, and I'm excited about it," Edsel Ford II said, calling it a potential "big redevelopment of southwest Detroit."

Ford cautioned there's no done deal yet to purchase the train station from the family of billionaire trucking mogul Manual "Matty" Moroun.

"There's T's to cross and i's to dot and nothing is — as you know — officially announced yet," Ford told reporters.

The push to establish a campus in Corktown beyond the building Ford purchased in December at the corner of Michigan Avenue and Rosa Parks Boulevard is driven by a desire to "cluster" the autonomous and electric vehicle units in one spot, Ford said.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...on-plan-may-10

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 10:15 PM
Registered Ugly

Man, if this ends up happening, it's going to be so cool to watch.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 2:14 PM

This is a bit outside of the downtown area, but it looks like good things are happening at one of the local museums. A very large renovation project underway at Yankee Air Museum at the old Willow Run Bomber plant, home of the Ford Built B-24 Liberator, over 8600 of them.

www.savethebomberplant.org

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 10:54 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

Detroit Zoo pushing to build huge aquarium in downtown Detroit
Apr 30, 2018 at 5:00 PM by JC Reindl

The Detroit Zoo is actively pushing to construct a large aquarium on the downtown Detroit riverfront — possibly on prime vacant land next to Hart Plaza — that could draw 1 million visitors a year, the Free Press has learned.
Source: https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...oit/569853002/

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 12:20 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Well, well, well, a "concept" of the southern end of District Detroit Olympia was showing of yesterday.

Kirk Pinho

The biggest thing I notice is that one of the towers they've been talking about seems to have moved from one side of Woodward to the other.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 9:57 PM

Sweet ... good find LMich!

Btw* That tower planned for the surface lot on E Adams is looking pretty significant it looks from this model anyway it's going to be around the height of the David Broderick Tower. Although my frame of reference may be a little off because the photo partially cuts off the top of the tower but at the very least it looks like they are building something close to that height.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 10:34 PM
Registered Ugly

Here are a few more. The concept at Grand Circus Park definitely looks taller than the Broderick. If this moves forward, the Statler site truly is going to look out of scale with its surroundings.

https://twitter.com/jakegordon/statu...62963016740864

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 1:28 AM

Different "concepts" of all of these projects have been going on for years. During the time frame that all of these renderings have been shuffling around they could have simply built the buildings, if that was their genuine intention. It's not rocket science, you line up the money and hire an architecture firm and then it gets built.

My speculation is that this is somehow a stalling technique related to their not fulfilling the amount of development they were supposed to. Another idea is that there's something coming up that they're going to want public money for. Or maybe they're just doing it to dull any backlash against the arena.

The Comerica Park hotel does have an actual developer attached to it, so that one might actually be real. And a hotel overlooking the ballpark would make sense as being part of a complete entertainment experience. They're an entertainment company and not a real estate company, and their actions over the decades have been very clear when you think about it in those terms.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 4:47 AM

I agree with Jasoncw entirely.

The hotel on Woodward directly south of LCA along with the tower replacing Hockeytown Cafe are proposals they announced awhile back, along with the one on the parking lot between Grand Circus Park and the Detroit Athletic Club. They had also announced building high rises on the parking lots on Woodward in front of Comerica Park, but in these concepts it only shows two low rises and a parking lot.

On the other hand, this quiet mention of Ilitch's plans to build yet another parking garage seems much more viable given their track record on garages and surface lots.

Last edited by DetroitSky; May 3, 2018 at 8:20 AM.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 9:49 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I'd mentioned that it look like they moved one of the high-rises, which pretty much shows this isn't new stuff. I don't even think I implied this was "new."

I'm not quite a skeptical given all that's already been built. While I don't like parking garages, it opens up all of their surface lots for development. We won't ever have any easy go of things until there is a much strong mass-transit system in place.

This is really not the Olympia of the 90's or even the early 00's. If nothing else was built, tomorrow, it's already more than they ever did with their idea of "Foxtown." Long-term plans - which these have always been - will change as the market changes. Plans should change as demand warrants. I was actually kind of surprised how much residential they've originally proposed given how many other developers had gotten a head start on construction in the area.

All in all, I'm fairly satisfied. More than what it says about Olympia it shows that there is demand whereas nearly anything had to be forced or compelled in the past. I gave up on reflexive Ilitch bashing quite a while ago. I'd have been content had they just built the arena and left the peripheral stuff to the other developers in the area. Olympia doesn't really do housing, anyway, thank god.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 1:15 PM

It’s very exciting to me that there will be construction cranes and new towers rising up on both sides of the Detroit River, starting this year! It’s long overdo for both of our downtowns!

Here’s an article about a new 16 floor residential tower to be built in DT Windsor, as well as some new conversions, including the conversion of the old Radisson Hotel on Riverside Dr. to a possible Double Tree. I know it’s not in Detroit, but I figured some of you Detroiters would find this good news and interesting regardless.

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-ne...d-for-downtown

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 3:31 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
It’s very exciting to me that there will be construction cranes and new towers rising up on both sides of the Detroit River, starting this year! It’s long overdo for both of our downtowns!

Here’s an article about a new 16 floor residential tower to be built in DT Windsor, as well as some new conversions, including the conversion of the old Radisson Hotel on Riverside Dr. to a possible Double Tree. I know it’s not in Detroit, but I figured some of you Detroiters would find this good news and interesting regardless.

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-ne...d-for-downtown
Nice! I've always been impressed by Windsor's skyline given its size.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Nice! I've always been impressed by Windsor's skyline given its size.
Yeah, it’s not too bad, but it definitely needs some more bulk and height to it. The city struggled badly after the 2008 recession, and our DT suffered big time, so its great to see the metro getting some healthy growth numbers again,as well as a hot housing market and low unemployment! Hopefully more proposals come foreword soon!

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 8:31 PM

Great news, I know what you mean by it needing more bulk which is true in a sense although I always kind of looked at it as the Windsor skyline is a victim of the city's success with its waterfront.

The skyline has had a tendency to want to spread out along the water because Windsor has made great use of its waterfront opening it up to the public imo. Something Windsor doesn't get enough credit for is making Detroit see the value of its own waterfront something that we mimicked starting relatively recently with great success.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta_Love View Post
Great news, I know what you mean by it needing more bulk which is true in a sense although I always kind of looked at it as the Windsor skyline is a victim of the city's success with its waterfront.

The skyline has had a tendency to want to spread out along the water because Windsor has made great use of its waterfront opening it up to the public imo. Something Windsor doesn't get enough credit for is making Detroit see the value of its own waterfront something that we mimicked starting relatively recently with great success.
Yeah, I was so happy to finally see Detroit develop a waterfront park system in the Riverwalk! It was long overdo and it is a huge positive for the city now!

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 9:10 PM

I remember how it was back in the day at least around the Joe with a bunch of gravel parking lots along the water that were used as a sort of vip parking area.

My grandpa Florian Muske (my mothers side) was the team dentist for the Wings from 49' - 83' he never was paid but got season tickets for life. Back in the day when I was young on occasion when I would go to a game my dad he would take my grandpa's car and it's pass so we could park right up next to the Joe. The Illitch's to their credit honored the agreement even though it was only verbal after the ownership change, although they moved the seats from behind the penalty box to 2nd row upper deck over time.

My dad would always be cracking jokes after the riverwalk was built that "that we lost our convenient parking but at least the Canadians have something to look at" or "it's only right that we returned the favor".

Quote:
DTE to seek developers for Conners Creek site on Detroit riverfront this year

By KIRK PINHO
Crain's Detroit Business
May 04, 2018

Dave Meador, vice chairman and chief administrative officer for DTE, said the Detroit-based company has held informal discussions with Mayor Mike Duggan's office, the surrounding community and developers like Dan Gilbert's Bedrock LLC about the site south of Freud Street between Lycaste and Canal streets.

How the process moves forward will be determined by what the response from the development community is, Meador said. If there is significant interest in the RFP and the proposed uses are in line with DTE's vision, the company will move forward.

DTE ultimately envisions a mixed-use development with residential and retail space connecting to greenways.

"This is one of the largest developable sites on the river, if not the largest," Meador said Friday. "A good portion of that could be developed."

One issue is what happens with the 400,000-square-foot decommissioned power plant that remains on the site. It featured seven 350-foot exhaust stacks (sometimes called the "Seven Sisters"); a portion of it was imploded in 1996 after being closed in 1983.

The remaining portion of the plant, built in 1951, has the "Two Brothers" exhaust stacks.

Although asbestos remains inside, Meador said it's a candidate to be redeveloped. Whether a developer proposes adaptive reuse or tearing it down won't affect DTE's selection process.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...oit-riverfront

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 10:51 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
I agree with Jasoncw entirely.
I'll agree, except for this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoncw View Post
It's not rocket science, you line up the money and hire an architecture firm and then it gets built.
I think this is intentional hyperbole. It's obviously a simplification of reality. In this world of super-specialization, constructing a large building is a LOT more like rocket science than many other things. Hundreds, sometimes thousands of individuals are involved in the minutia of every single decision and task that contributes to the critical path of a building's eventually existence.

And, as we hopefully all realize, the architecture firm isn't the one doing the building 99% of the time.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 5:05 PM

Interesting

Quote:
Q&A: Dan Gilbert on jail site, Detroit aquarium, Ford in Corktown

By KIRK PINHO
Crain's Detroit Business
May 04, 2018

Pinho: Well I heard you bring up the Ford thing (with the company redeveloping Michigan Central Station), and I was kind of curious, if that makes you, with your portfolio, go farther west along Michigan?

Gilbert: I haven't really thought of it in those terms. Certainly anything that happens like that is helpful for anyone who invests in greater downtown and Detroit in general. A company of that size, of that significant. Talk about doing some pretty big stuff, from what we understand. We don't have direct information, and sometimes we hear it from you first. We have a few parcels there (Corktown Lofts).

Pinho: What about how it works with regard to the transformational brownfield stuff? I don't think you guys have received final approval from the Michigan Strategic Fund yet. But with something along the lines of a train station, what the Ilitches are doing, what you're doing in addition to the stuff that's already been announced for brownfield, since there is only one approval per year ...

Gilbert: It's one start, I think. I think the way the legislation is written ... I think ours officially started in 2017. If Ilitch does 2018, (Ford) could do 2019 if that qualifies.

Pinho: Right, I was actually getting at whether there is some sort of gentlemen's agreement. "Chris, you go in 2018, Ford you go in 2019 ... "

Gilbert: I think there is some state agency.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rd-in-corktown

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post

I think this is intentional hyperbole. It's obviously a simplification of reality. In this world of super-specialization, constructing a large building is a LOT more like rocket science than many other things. Hundreds, sometimes thousands of individuals are involved in the minutia of every single decision and task that contributes to the critical path of a building's eventually existence.

And, as we hopefully all realize, the architecture firm isn't the one doing the building 99% of the time.
It's true I'm exaggerating, but only a little. They have the resources and the expertise and the money. They've been shuffling around conceptual renderings for years and during that time other developers have started and finished projects. Gilbert bought the David Stott Building in 2015 and it's finishing this year. The Platform is way smaller and they've been very productive.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post

You’re looking at this from your local perspective. I reality, drawings can be done in a little over a year, out to bid in months, permits in months and built in under two years. All the while, financing being lined up.

The reason skyscrapers grow as fast as weeds in Chicago is because the project teams are organized, efficient and experienced. The speed of these projects in Detroit are downright glacial. (Except for Gilbert’s team which has shown unprecedented speed ) How many things have come and gone for the Monroe site?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations