HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:40 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Is 1566 Bagley a stand-alone project or part of a larger development? Hadn't heard of this one, and it looks pretty interesting.

This was reported on a month or so back, but it looks like city officials are formally announcing this.

Quote:

Lafayette West to bring 374 residences to neighborhood

By Candice Williams, The Detroit News

July 2, 2018

A development that will bring 374 residential units to the Lafayette Park neighborhood in Detroit will have a $108 million price tag and include affordable housing, city officials said Monday.

Known as Lafayette West, the 5.2-acre project sits between I-375 and Rivard Street at the site of the vacant Shapero Hall, which once housed Wayne State University's College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.

Shapero Hall will be demolished and Ginosko Development Co. will build a mix of residential buildings including a 12-story high-rise with 114 luxury rental units ranging from ranging from 600 to 1,100 square feet with attached parking. The project will also include 200 rental lofts ranging from 450 to 900 square feet with enclosed parking, as well as 60 for-sale townhouses, carriage houses and flats with attached garages.

Also, a pretty cool pilot program:

Quote:

DDOT pass buyers can use shared bikes for free

By Nolan Ryan, The Detroit News

July 2, 2018

Regular Detroit bus riders can use a bike sharing service for free under a pilot program that began Monday.

Under the initiative, customers who buy a weekly, biweekly or monthly bus pass from the Detroit Department of Transportation will receive a 30-day pass to use the orange MoGo Detroit bicycles.

The program will last until 2,000 MoGo passes are given away.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:45 PM

Lafayette West looks like it could be the design for the new Wayne County Jail. I don't much care for that design.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:57 PM

You ever see a jail with that many windows and that much glass, get back to us and let us know. This looks nothing like a jail.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 7:30 PM

LMich, 1566 Bagley is a stand-alone project.

Lafayette West looks nothing like a jail. It’s design was definitely made to compliment the other nearby Lafayette Park residential towers. I like it, personally.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 9:03 PM

Speaking of jails.

Quote:
Demolition work begins at Gratiot jail site

By KURT NAGL
Crain's Detroit Business
July 03, 2018

-Crews worked Tuesday to tear down part of structure on Gratiot side
-Full demolition date not yet decided
-Mixed-use development planned for 15-acre site

Crews work Tuesday to tear down part of the Gratiot jail structure at the foot of downtown in preparation for a full demolition at the site.
Quote:
Crews were out Tuesday with excavators demolishing a portion of the structure near the Gratiot side. Detroit-based Adamo Group is handling the project.

A date has not yet been set for full demolition at the site, Bedrock spokeswoman Gabrielle Poshadlo said.

Wayne County approved last month plans to build a $533 million criminal justice complex at East Warren Avenue near the I-75 service drive to replace the one on Gratiot. The move paved the way for the demolition of the "fail jail," which has been an eyesore and symbol of municipal mismanagement at the foot of downtown.

As part of the deal with the county, Dan Gilbert's Rock Ventures is building the replacement jail and acquiring the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice, Division I and II jails, and the Juvenile Detention Facility following the expected 2022 completion of the new complex.

Gilbert has yet to reveal specific development plans for the 15-acre site, but Bedrock President Dan Mullen told Crain's it will be "totally mixed-use — retail, office, residential, restaurant, etc..."
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...tiot-jail-site

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 10:12 PM

That thing was the ugliest of eyesores, good riddance.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:16 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post
Lafayette West looks like it could be the design for the new Wayne County Jail. I don't much care for that design.
I mean...I kinda get what seabee is saying. International Style architecture and its modern descendants have oft been criticized for having too much rigidity, being too sterile, too oppressive, too bland, too inhuman, etc. etc. All of those being common attributes of a jail. I'm not saying I agree, but I can see the logic. I think the reality will be different. Like LMich said, the amount of glazing and transparency alone negates the comparison to most prisons. The interaction between the building and the surrounding developments at ground level will be important as well...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 8:03 PM

Internationalist style has gained a reputation not necessarily completely unearned with some of the later glass boxes however this view imo is more of a modern stereotype. The Internationalist & New Formalism styles of architecture have some of their root in post war Detroit & the metro area most notably in the works of Minoru Yamasaki who adopted Detroit as his hometown.

Furthermore if there is one place in the city where I wouldn't mind seeing more of the style (tastefully done) either would definitely be Lafayette Park. I rather like the project I'd have to say it's the right project in the right place imo.

Quote:

The McGregor Memorial Conference Center is an office building located at 495 Ferry Mall, on the campus of Wayne State University in Midtown Detroit, Michigan. Completed in 1958, the building was the first commission of the noted Japanese-American architect Minoru Yamasaki marking his shift from traditional International Style to a style known as the New Formalism. The building was designated a National Historic Landmark for its architecture in 2015.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGreg...ference_Center

But I can understand why some don't like the style but as LMich said I don't think it looks like a jail with so much open glass.

Harrison High School in my hometown of Farmington Hills was built in the 80's by a contractor who mainly built jails (assuming they hired them to save money) this is a jail-lookin' building to me if i've ever seen one. Haha. (Glad I went to North)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris...hool_(Michigan)

An update on the surge in tourism by Crain's, there seems to be a concerted effort being made in concert with the hotel building boom to make further improvements to Cobo Hall. This is looking to be a good chance to make and cement gains in the convention industry lack of rooms had always been a stumbling block for conventions downtown, now what becomes of JLA takes on an increased importance.

Quote:
Detroit’s new-found reputation as a tourist destination spurs hotel boom

By KIRK PINHO
Crain's Detroit Business
July 01, 2018

-Detroit's hotel market average occupancy rate is in the low 70s
-Growing perception of the Motor City as a tourist destination
-2,000 more rooms expected to come online

Quote:
An increasing influx of visitors is no mirage, O'Callaghan said: A decade ago, 11 million or 12 million people visited the region.

In 2017, that figure stood at more than 19 million. He pointed to recent features in Lonely Planet, The New York Times (which later in 2017 asked whether it is "the most exciting city in America"), "Good Morning America" and "The Today Show" highlighting Detroit as a good place for tourists to travel as helping fuel that perception nationwide.

"When you have the recognition of major publications like that driving demand to a city, we have to deliver lodging experiences for those travelers," said Andrew Leber, vice president of hospitality for Dan Gilbert's Bedrock LLC real estate development, ownership, management and leasing company.

So with apparently a growing market for leisure travelers and convention-goers, the question then becomes where the visitors to greater downtown Detroit lay their heads at night, as there are only about 5,000 hotel rooms in and around the central business district, ranging from the motels that dot east Jefferson Avenue and other major thoroughfares to the city's tallest building, the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center.
Quote:

Quote:
Developers have taken notice in the increased demand for hospitality space. A Crain's tally shows that no fewer than 2,000 rooms have been proposed or come online in the last few years, and there are easily hundreds more in the pipeline that have not yet been formally confirmed or announced, ranging from projects in Midtown to a host of others throughout the area.

That means to maintain downtown occupancy rates, the increasing numbers of visitors will also have to continue to rise.

Bedrock is developing not only the Shinola Hotel on Woodward immediately north of the J.L. Hudson's department store site project, but also tentatively plans converting the former Detroit Police Department headquarters at 1300 Beaubien St. into a 200-room hotel and is considering a hotel component in a residential tower slated to soar 800 feet above the ground.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...urs-hotel-boom

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 7:49 AM

Well, that last part is some actual news. Up until now, there was not even a hint that Bedrock was mulling a hotel component for the Hudson tower. I've been day-dreaming about it since they announced it, but I'd love for them to simply add a hotel in addition to to the rest of the tower and make this a supertall.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 3:23 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmich View Post
well, that last part is some actual news. Up until now, there was not even a hint that bedrock was mulling a hotel component for the hudson tower. I've been day-dreaming about it since they announced it, but i'd love for them to simply add a hotel in addition to to the rest of the tower and make this a supertall.

yes!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 3:48 PM

That would be nice to see.

Last edited by seabee1526; Jul 6, 2018 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 5:56 PM

Some inside info from Facebook, apparently the Ilitches are having meetings with council members who voted to delay the final Cass Henry historic district vote which was previously expected to pass.

https://www.facebook.com/mark.hall.1...94729273925275

The Ilitches would rather fight tooth and nail to destroy historical housing for parking lots than preserve the beauty and history of the city they supposedly love, despite taking hundreds of millions of dollars based on promises of a revitalized neighborhood. They're such fucking trash.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Some inside info from Facebook, apparently the Ilitches are having meetings with council members who voted to delay the final Cass Henry historic district vote which was previously expected to pass.

https://www.facebook.com/mark.hall.1...94729273925275

The Ilitches would rather fight tooth and nail to destroy historical housing for parking lots than preserve the beauty and history of the city they supposedly love, despite taking hundreds of millions of dollars based on promises of a revitalized neighborhood. They're such fucking trash.
And meanwhile the Little Caesars HQ has remained visually unchanged for several months, the only buildings near LCA that have been funded by the Ilitchs is the arena itself and three parking garages without their promised residential/office components, the renovations of the Eddystone, American, Alhambra, UA Building and 1922 Cass have not begun, and the Fox Theatre remains the only historic building they have ever renovated instead of demolishing.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Fund aims to revitalize Detroit neighborhood

By SHERRI WELCH
Crain's Detroit Business
July 08, 2018

-Durfee Central Alumni Fund L3C aims to attract business to Rosa Parks and Linwood community
-Fund targets businesses with social enterprise mission
-Planned investment range is $25,000 to $900,000

Quote:
A new, private impact investment fund set to launch late this summer could bring more than $10 million in new investment to the Detroit neighborhood where the '67 uprising began.

The goal of the Durfee Central Alumni Fund L3C is to attract business and a tax base to revitalize the community and provide residents with new opportunities, said Romy Kochan, president and managing director of the fund's sponsor, Auburn Hills-based Gingras Global Groups L3C.

"(It) used to be a very dynamic commercial district, if you talk to the residents there," said Kochan, who spent over 20 years in traditional and public investment fields before founding Gingras in 2011.

Many Jewish alumni of Central High School still living in the region remember how vibrant the community was; and, she said, once word of the fund and its aim got out, news spread quickly.

About 50 accredited, high-net-worth local Jewish investors have made soft commitments to the fund, Kochan said. Undisclosed local foundations, corporations and banks have also made soft commitments.

The new fund will make investments of $25,000-$900,000 in companies with a social focus that are willing to locate in or within one mile of the historic, 143,000-square-foot Durfee Innovation Society center. Life Remodeled is developing the center in the former Durfee Elementary-Middle School at 2470 Collingwood St., between Linwood Street and Rosa Parks Boulevard (adjacent to Central High School), Kochan said.

Durfee is the first of a series of national Envision centers planned to serve as hubs for neighborhood services, as announced last month by U.S. Secretary of Housing Ben Carson.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...t-neighborhood

Quote:
New zones created by tax overhaul draw investor attention

By KIRK PINHO
Crain's Detroit Business
July 08, 2018

-Tax overhaul's creation of Opportunity Zones starts to attract big attention
-Investments get capital-gains tax break for investment in targeted neighborhoods
-At least four funds in the works in I-75 corridor

Quote:
The nation's newest investment tool is getting some super-sized attention in metro Detroit — and is poised to bring new investment to neighborhoods throughout the region.

A provision tucked into the Republican tax-reform package enacted last year allows for capital gains on things like stock or real estate sales to be diverted into so-called Opportunity Funds. The funds invest in low-income Census tracts — known as Opportunity Zones — that have been strangled of investment in recent years and decades.

The Snyder administration selected the Opportunity Zones, which were then ratified by the U.S. Department of Treasury.

No fewer than four such funds are in the works along the I-75 corridor ranging in size and scale.

One is from a soon-to-be former Detroit economic development official. Another private investor is in the process of raising $100 million-plus for a $500 million pipeline of projects. And there are a pair of a pair of funds planned that will target smaller, distressed urban areas like Pontiac and Flint.

"It's starting to pick up," said Joseph Kopietz, member of the Real Estate Group for Detroit-based law firm Clark Hill PLC.

"We are starting to get a great deal of interest in this on an exploratory basis from a wide variety of people, from potential developers on how they can utilize this as a potential opportunity for equity investments and also people looking at it from the other perspective of opportunities to defer and reduce taxes," Kopietz said.

The upside for Opportunity Fund investors is a deferred and reduced capital gains tax. The win for the urban areas is the added capital flowing through private enterprise within their borders.

"I think people are thinking of this as another tax program that's maybe going to do some stuff," said Matthew Temkin, managing member of Detroit-based North Coast Partners LLC, which is raising $100 million to $200 million for an Opportunity Fund it plans to invest in a $500 million pipeline of largely multifamily and commercial development projects in Detroit neighborhoods. Temkin is a Farmington native who now lives in New York City.

"I think it's an entirely new asset class that's going to redistribute capital across the country. We need to underline how big this could be," Temkin said. "That's the thing that people really aren't quite getting. This is the beginning of something that could be really, really big."
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...stor-attention

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 7:54 PM

It seems like the choice of "Opportunity Areas" seems to focus on areas that are either stabilized or somewhat growing already. Essentially areas where the risk to investors isn't too great and more towards the upper-side of what could be considered low-income. At best, a lot of the zones are working-class but not completely poverty stricken. Surprisingly, a lot of the zones are almost entirely non-residential.

Overall, this looks like something that'll favor businesses but is being sold as "it will help the neighborhoods". Indirectly, it may, but of course people still living in big blighted 'hoods won't likely see much difference unless there was billions of dollars per project being invested to cause such change.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:18 PM

Took the Peoplemover past the Cityclub site yesterday.Very little progress over the last few months.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:19 PM

^ Just like the District Detroit. Aside from the School of Business and ANOTHER parking lot, Olympia has sat on all the other developments. But that's not a surprise.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit1995 View Post
^ Just like the District Detroit. Aside from the School of Business and ANOTHER parking lot, Olympia has sat on all the other developments. But that's not a surprise.
It is now classified as an Historic District. Do you think that will have any effect on what Olympia does or does not do?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:41 PM

It passed!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...lca/771812002/

The historical block is saved!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit1995 View Post
To be fair, the Detroit Life Building and the Columbia Street project have been ongoing.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that the School of Business was built by WSU, not Olympia, using money donated by Olympia.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations